rap vs. hip hop - the difference is MAJOR

gullyjewelz

IM POSTIN THIS HERE CUZ I FIGAA IT FELL ON DEF EARS IN THE OTHER POST . . :eek:

Lets Please Stay Mindful Of The Difference Between Hip Hop Music N Rap - Rap Music . . . Rap Music Has Always Been And Always Will Be Carbon Copy Music That Sells Quicker . . .
Rap Music Is Like Pop Music . . . Sex, Fun, Extravagance Sells
Hip Hop Music Is Like R&b Music . .. True "musicicianship" For The Sake Of The Craft - It Has Never Sold As Musch As Pop Music (on A Whole)
Personally I Cant Stand A Lot Of Whats On The Radio - But When Did The Radio Become The "guide" For Hip Hop? Its Always Been The Baromter For Rap Music, Pop Music, Commercial Rock Music . . .

In All Genres, There Is A True Musicianship/loveof The Culture Side And A Corporate, Money Making Side . . .

Frustration Comes From Confusing The Two Sides.
--i Mean, During Old School Hip Hop Music Era (bdp, Epmd, De La Soul Rakim, Public Enemy) We Were Not So Caught Up With The Radio . Word Of Mouth Is All We Needed And Most Hiphop Artists Went Gold If They Were Good - The Hip Hop Fan Base Has Almost Always Been "gold" Status

Rap Music Is A Platinum Selling Artist/business Move. Rap Music Is Not Suppposed To Be The Vanguard Of The Culture . . . . Its For The People Who Dont Like Or Have Anything To Do With Hip Hop Culture - But Like Dancing In The Club On The Weekend . . .

No, rap is the music, regardless of what the quality is, it is still "rap", per se.

"Hip Hop" is the entire culture, encompassing, MCing, DJing, B-boying, and graffiti

like he said rap is one of the four elementss of Hip Hop (Graffiti, Rap, DJing, Breaking) but in recent times the Emcees aren't living up to what was the original building blocks of hip hop..it used to be about who can outsmart who on the mic now its who sells more then who...down to basics its still a "competitive sport" but from a different view rap has turned into its own culture and its own genre..rap WAS apart of hip hop and by i mean was i mean was one of the four elements...now its in its own subculture and it just spreads from there...the thing that bugs me the most about it is that you get these RAPPERS that say something clever and people think theyre fuckin guinesses, when an EMCEE makes a whole song clever and what not it gets no where...its basically come down now to...Commercial and Underground

Reactions: apl
I used to get caught up in that debate a lot, "rap vs. hip-hop". I've reached the point to where I really don't care any more, it's all watered down. Look at how many of us there are online alone, aspiring rappers, aspiring producers etc... Most of which truly lack what it takes to become a major success in today's hip-hop industry. Kids from the suburbs tellin us how they're from the hood and live the thug life, kids from the hood tellin us how they're from the hood and live the thug life...lol Hip Hop once thrived on the truth, now everyone has the same story.The whole culture is watered down Rap, Hip-Hop or whatever you wanna call it. I just do it because I love the music, if I never get my shot I can live with that and will still be making music I like.

That's my lil rant if it makes sense to anyone lol.

I disagree to, Hip hop is the community. Rap is a style, Comparing rap vs hip hop saying hip hop was r&b like, ALL that shit on the radio is r&b and not rap homie. Look at ja rule,50 cent, they singin there pop artist.
I understand what your trying to say, the bodega on the corner is hip hop tho.Music is waterdown but so are the fans they market to kids they buy more cds, If we dont demand more from them and buy some garbage ass cd thats what well get.

Look what happen with dead prez they came out wit a cd sold a few hundred thousand, got dropped because of there message. Drop a indie mixtape got a new deal, went gold got dropped again, Came out with another mixtape got a new deal. The record labels arent getting a cut, So they put up with it to get sum green. Instead of supporting all that bling bling shit, support Immortal Technique and eventualy theyll have to put him on the radio.

The media plays a big part in this how many people look at Pac as a gangsta, as opposed to a revolutionary figure. People are still talking about him being a rapist. Touching someones ass that gave you head a few days ago is far from rape. How many people look at jesus as passive? Jesus was a revolutionist he walked in the church and said your going do shit like this. People think the church is peacefull, when there behind more wars and massacres then any country.

ay i agree about the pac shit about how he was so succesful labels are tryin to mimic the "old" death row but to the people who saw him as money didnt see the main reasons why he was very succesful...even though pac went to an ALL WHITE SCHOOL and DID BALLET ! he appealed to the everyday kid on the street because he knew what it was like..he had respect from some cats that were lyrical because some of his shit was lyrical..BUT now a days people dont care what the message says as long as they can dance to it or as long as it "slaps" in there cars..because everything is commecial...COMMERICIAL...no one wants to be creative it takes too long..

oh yea....

ummm anyone know for sure if Lil Wayne has a ghostwriter for him...i ask this because look at the Carter II highly acclaimed album and look at his older shit..he is either very slow at developing skills or he has a ghost writer...just wondering

-1-
C jOker

i dont think he do..... i mean a lot of people style change wit age... look at Jay-z...... theres almost noone out that been around for a while thats still rapping the same.....

as far as rap vs hip hop i agree wit wat people been sayin rap is apart of hip hop...... but im a lil different i actually like the state of rap music right now..... yea i kno a lot of people are just makin music for the money and its all about the bizness and not the music anymore..... but i look at it like this........ rap and hip hop came from the struggle it's a way of life all about the hustle...... and in today's music people just switched they hustle to make their money.... i really dont hate on the people i hear on the radio no i dont like their music but i respect their hustle and the fact that they got there.........

no i feel you on that fire and i respect they hustle...but you got them complainin about shit and they have a voice that can reach thousans maybe even millions and they dont use it to do whats right...kinda corny but its like off of spiderman, with great powers come great responsiblity..

lil wayne back on that i dont see how his lyrics which is more lyrical now can change from what he was doing before...its kinda fishy to me..

not to me because i've grown just as much if not more as an artist in about the same amount of time as wayne...... thats why its not fishy to me..... u also gotta remember he started out real young and wit age and time people cause better...... i kno cause i've done it

C jOker said:
no i feel you on that fire and i respect they hustle...but you got them complainin about shit and they have a voice that can reach thousans maybe even millions and they dont use it to do whats right...kinda corny but its like off of spiderman, with great powers come great responsiblity..

I Agree 10 million percent!!! They have a chance to say something to the whole world!! What an overwhelming feeling that must be.

Wayne's Ghost writer (as well as Baby and Manny's) was Gillie Da Kid.

Search YouTube for Gillie videos where he puts Wayne on blast for dissing him on a mixtape track.

Dang he ripped Wayne really bad!!! I didn't hear waynes diss but i don't know if he has anything on that.

When i wrote my last post i'd just heard where he rapped it without a beat. I just recorded the studio version off the internet. I gotta let my boy chris hear this.

tone_aot said:
I Agree 10 million percent!!! They have a chance to say something to the whole world!! What an overwhelming feeling that must be.

TO SOME EXTENT, THAT'S ALL IM SAYIN - U CAN HAVE A GANG OF BULLSHIT IM FOR THE MONEY OUT OF THIS BUSINESS TYPE SONGS - BUT DAMM - GIVE A MAAPHUCKA SOMETHIN TO PONDER - SOMEWHERE - ON THE DAMM CD - SHEIT!!!

I DONT BUY CDS FOR THE RADIO SONGS - I KNOW THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE COMMERCIAL (AND I DONT HATE ON THE COMMERCIAL) I GET PISSED OFF WHEN I LISTEN TO A CD AND ASIDE FROM THE "HOT" RADIO JOINTS - THERE IS NOTHIN/GARBAGE ON THE CD . .

so i just read the whole interview....... basically dude coached wanye... which aint ghostwritten........

yeah and keep in mind wayne was spittin fire b4 his momma would even let him cuss on a track, and gillie aint even heard of cash money yet.

listen to the ollld hot boys sht b4 wayne had braids. listen to juvies solja rag cd. put the money on the couch was a nice track.

and in all seriousness, not clownin , but isn't gilly the 1 b. siegal k.o.'d in front of baby. he seem as suspect to me as the baby wayne relationship.

you aint gotta spit his name on every track weezy,

i dont know the whole game like a soap opera now.

I never liked lil wayne pre-tha carter, I couldn't stand any of the cash money stuff. I copped tha carter just for the hell of it and it suprised the hell outta me, at the time if there was a most improved rapper award he woulda won it...lol

But as far as the ghostwriting thing, how many of yall who do write their own stuff would spit something someone else wrote for yall? I don't think I could.

Back