production study 101

gullyjewelz

how bout we analyze a few commercial songs - for learning purposes - and production skill?

i know there's a lot of flack bein thrown out to a lot of rap (esp. southern groups) but for instance - if u just listen to the tracks . .. is the disatisfaction with the lyrics alone or wth the musical production as well?

rather than defend or denoune the lyrics - i just wanna hear some "feedback" or opinons on the tracks -

songs like - 0 - - -

1) Rock Ya Hips - Crime Mob
2) Wood Grain Wheel - Slim Thug
3) Get Buck - Young Buck

What Makes the song "hot" aside from lyrics - ?

alrite even easier..very crisp 808 drums..sub bass with looooow frequencies..one thing i do respect alot though is the fact they use realistic horns..the hi-hats always change up from 1/4 to 1/8 to sometimes even 1/32..and then the final touch is what makes it sound commercial, the commercial mastering and engineering they use to touch it up and make it perfect for all sound systems..hows that?

IMO you can give one of us the same instruments and make the same beat at the same time (theoretically speaking) and the engineering and mastering will make there beat sound more mainstream than ours so it is deff. a big part of the process but then there is the other point where the mainstream beats ur hearing today are so simple and i notice a lot of peeps on here including myself are makin complex and sometimes the things added to make it complex are a substitute for a verse cuz we don't have any artists near by to take up the space that extra melody or synth is at so in a way it can ruin a good project by doing too much to it but i think beats are getting way too simple on the radio when you compare the amount of products there are out there for sounds .........what the hell did i just say?? :confused:

DesertEase said:
a lot of peeps on here including myself are makin complex and sometimes the things added to make it complex are a substitute for a verse cuz we don't have any artists near by to take up the space that extra melody or synth is at so in a way it can ruin a good project by doing too much to it but i think beats are getting way too simple on the radio when you compare the amount of products there are out there for sounds .........what the hell did i just say?? :confused:

wow i just couldnt have put it better myself your right we subconsciously add all these extra melodies to make up for the lack of vocals..thats a huge factor in the difference between commercial and underground

I havent heard the slim thug track, but the Get Buck track is not your average 808, hand claps, and hi hats track....Polow did a real good job on that one....now the rock ya hips beat is very simple nothing special about it, matter of fact i made a beat that sounds similar to it

I've noticed this trend.That's why its seems like I need to add more to some of my tracks. I feel you have to leave some room for the artist. Simple or Complex if its making them girls move then that's whats up.

I do me. I don't care to 100% emulate what the other people are doing, but I will take notice of it and analyze what works for them that I might be able to learn in my own way.

Like for instance, making horns and guitars sound more realistic even though you KNOW it was workstation or computer generated. I know people who do it and some of you probably do too. A lot of things you can pick up by just listening. Some things you might need a google search for. Others are just folk's proudest secrets.

Fiev.

When I get back in the game I'll definitely hit you up. Might have to do a Breadwinnaz collab cause I like how you spit it on certain things.

Fiev.

yea I got a couple tracks I been holding out on, I gave them to my cousin, but he hasnt done anything with them yet, I'll post them when I get em off my laptop, Im in need of lyrics

Back