For the PRODUCERS among us...

crunkthanamug

Im not quite sure exactly how many of us fall into the producer category, but for those who do my question is how many artists do you work with at any given time?

I love music, so I'll work with any and every artist i think is hot, but a line has to be drawn somewhere... Right now im working with 3, not to mention spending time on my OWN project. Any more than that and there probably wont be enough beats to go around! :D And when I say produce (for those who may not know), I mean make the beat, come up with the concept of the song (write the chorus), and assist with writing (if need be). Not to mention I do all the recording/mixing/mastering...

Also, how do you all charge for your services? I made an album with one of my groups, and we split the $$$ from sales/shows. One of the other guys is a good friend of mine so I dont charge him, and the other guy has a GREAT flow so I just give him tracks for pub cuz I know he'll get heard. Anyone else (that I dont KNOW) would have to pay something...but I really cant think of a price. What would you all charge???

I make some of my money off demo deals usually like 75 for a 3 song demo I produce record mix and master for that price. I have done one full LP that I did for about 350. I dont give rights to any music it's all lease. I will only give rights for some serious money. I have thought about doing a thing where I get a percentage of sales but the cats I deal with around the way are just starting out most of the time and cant grasps the hard work that comes with this stuff. Actually off topic but most of my money comes from cats coming in with an instrumental. I charge 20 for that and it's basically like getting a hair cut to some of these cats so I get a good deal of cats come thru by word of mouth. That's where I shop them the other services I offer as well as some mentoring in getting a project done if it's needed. The project I'm currently working on this R&B joint my first really. This cat has connects and is currently managed by a guy who's wants to manage me as a producer. We are gonna share in the rights and he's willing to give them up for the sake of someone else singing one of his songs and using my track. We may give the rights up to genuine if the deal goes through. I'm not charging him due to connects and being my first R&B project. Need to get that experience under my belt.

Edit I will do tracks for free If it's going towards a project featuring me as an emcee as well as a producer.

I'm right there with you. I mean I'm in the planning stages with that right now for when I get office space to do this in. I may not even do that...I'll probably just record artists signed to my label for free. I would probably charge a flat fee for the first few hours and then hourly after that. Something like $50 - $100 for the first 2 or 3 hours (depending on what you think is good) and then say $20 per hour after that. Maybe even just for the vocal work. I mean some people take forever to get their lyrics right because they don't know the shit. If that's what they're doing, they're wasting your time.

Yo chalin....I might take you up on that when I get to recording the next album. I'm thinking more beats on it by different people besides myself would give it more depth.

SPINSTERWUN said:
crunkthanamug

Where are you at, in Chicago???? Out South? Up North? Out West?

Im actually not there right now, but im moving back in 3 weeks. To the south side (around 87th and State)

crunkthanamug said:
Im actually not there right now, but im moving back in 3 weeks. To the south side (around 87th and State)

Okay, around the Dan Ryan, ovr by the McDonalds .

I used to live out South, but a little farther East, over in "Pill Hill" (91st and Euclid).

Fieva said:
I'm right there with you. I mean I'm in the planning stages with that right now for when I get office space to do this in. I may not even do that...I'll probably just record artists signed to my label for free. I would probably charge a flat fee for the first few hours and then hourly after that. Something like $50 - $100 for the first 2 or 3 hours (depending on what you think is good) and then say $20 per hour after that. Maybe even just for the vocal work. I mean some people take forever to get their lyrics right because they don't know the shit. If that's what they're doing, they're wasting your time.

Yo chalin....I might take you up on that when I get to recording the next album. I'm thinking more beats on it by different people besides myself would give it more depth.

Yeah no doubt Just have to get this Hustle joint done. I also forgot since we are in sorta an hiatus state my record label. Well hiatus project wise cause basically everyone is doing stuff to sale the current LPs we got out now. Doing work time though I can disappear for a while man like going into hybernation cause I be working on projects for the label and for the production team I belong too. I have recently though been able to teach them all how to use my Equipment which a relief because I was reponsible for to much stuff and it spreads me thin at times. So If yall dont hear from met at times its due to that stuff. They get most all of my stuff for free and then we got this trade thing going with other producers that want in on the project. I record and mix their stuff for tracks. Or I'll give them a track for one of theirs. That is an option alot of cats go for because well no money is involved and everyone is happy. A lot of ways to skin a cat :)

lets see..I make the track, they come up with the concept, I let them know if they need to change a verse or word or too to make it hott..and i record,mix and master the finish project.. I usually work with no more then 3-5 artists.. i try to keep it to the artist that is workin on the songs..im like Cha..some artists that have a killer flow and style and small following..just hook them up for free as long as they reppin you on the beats that you have giving him(credit or shout out in the song). Im a little higher for the Demo..but its still a 3 song deal..i still keep all rights to the beats...we serious artist come about that are pushing units..then we talk points..i will gladly license out a beat for damn near nothing to get % points on sales..Artists that agree are the one thats serious about their product and know how many units they can push..I dont have a major studio to be charging studio prices to record..so most of the time its who I know and no more then 2 hours..i still gotta spend family time :D .. but all this might change in the future..gettin more equipment to add to my little bit now..and I'm bout to get back on the grind ..I think i went off topic...LOL

Back