Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Producer Point's for those that don't know..

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC (Bull City!!)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8999
    Sign in to disable this ad
    hol up hol up so the producer gets 3% which comes out of the artist 15% then the store its sold at gets about a dollar which is about 5% so thats around 20% for the artist producer and retailer.... leaving 80% unaccounted for and im guessing this goes to who the label?....... thats crazy and whats even more crazy is that if im right the label not only gets 80% off every album sold but they also get the artist 12% untill everything they spent making the album comes back to them off that 12%

    tell me if im wrong or not but if im right thats dayum near like robbery when it comes to album sells

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,571
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8915
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre
    hol up hol up so the producer gets 3% which comes out of the artist 15% then the store its sold at gets about a dollar which is about 5% so thats around 20% for the artist producer and retailer.... leaving 80% unaccounted for and im guessing this goes to who the label?....... thats crazy and whats even more crazy is that if im right the label not only gets 80% off every album sold but they also get the artist 12% untill everything they spent making the album comes back to them off that 12%

    tell me if im wrong or not but if im right thats dayum near like robbery when it comes to album sells
    The price of fame, fam.

    The label gets that 80% or so, and they pay everyone else. Distribution, Lawyers, Sample clearance, etc... Then they profit the most.

    Preview of the new Album here!!!
    Mixing and Mastering services for your project, contact change@changehiphop.com

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC (Bull City!!)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8999
    I understand that the label has to pay out to lawyers and all but does sample clearance price fall on the label or artist..... at the same time besides promotion and distribution what does the label do for the artist that the artist doesnt pay for..... what i dont understand is why everybody involved get they money from the jump except the artist.. i can understand u gotta pay back advances thats like paying back a loan but dayum even loans thru the feds have a payment plan lol

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,571
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8915
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre
    I understand that the label has to pay out to lawyers and all but does sample clearance price fall on the label or artist..... at the same time besides promotion and distribution what does the label do for the artist that the artist doesnt pay for..... what i dont understand is why everybody involved get they money from the jump except the artist.. i can understand u gotta pay back advances thats like paying back a loan but dayum even loans thru the feds have a payment plan lol
    Labels pays for sample clearance, not the artist. The label technically owns the the music, so when they distribute it, they get sued if they didn't clear something.

    Unless of course you own your masters, then you get sued for it.

    No such thing as payment plans, fam. You recoup, and then you make your percentage.

    Preview of the new Album here!!!
    Mixing and Mastering services for your project, contact change@changehiphop.com

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    MD, USA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,758
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    33279
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre
    I understand that the label has to pay out to lawyers and all but does sample clearance price fall on the label or artist..... at the same time besides promotion and distribution what does the label do for the artist that the artist doesnt pay for..... what i dont understand is why everybody involved get they money from the jump except the artist.. i can understand u gotta pay back advances thats like paying back a loan but dayum even loans thru the feds have a payment plan lol
    Your Business(UNDERSTAND)

    and read it some more
    B Knot
    4 bars is hip hop, no need for more if it's a hit!!
    "Trunks poppin'... B Knot Hits..."
    Boss Recordings
    http://www.unsigned.com/bossrecordings
    http://www.jamwave.com/bossrecordings
    http://www.reverbnation.com/bossrecordings

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC (Bull City!!)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8999
    dayum yo this is crazy.... making me question if a major label deal is really what i want

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC (Bull City!!)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8999
    And im guessing that if your in a group then that same 12% is split between all the members of the group

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,571
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8915
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre
    And im guessing that if your in a group then that same 12% is split between all the members of the group
    Yep. Imagine how little Black Eyed Peas actually get?

    4 members, at a 15% split (on the high end).

    That means they get 3.75% each, assuming an equal split. Now break that down into album points, and 15% of 100% at a $10.99 CD price. That 15% yields them $1.65 per CD sold. Their last album sold 4 million +, so let's say 5 million for a round figure.

    5 mil x $1.65 = $8.25M

    $8.25M / 4 members = $2.06M

    Taxes on $2.06M are 47% in the US, as it falls in the highest bracket.

    So after Taxes, each member has $1.09M.

    Keep in mind, this is BEFORE they take out the recoup...

    Assuming they went low budget on production, etc... let's say they made the entire album for $2M.

    Take out the $2M in recoup costs, and that leaves $2.36M to be split by all 4 members of the group.

    Which means each member would end up with $591,800 after label recoup, and taxes.

    That's for selling 5 million records...

    Preview of the new Album here!!!
    Mixing and Mastering services for your project, contact change@changehiphop.com

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC (Bull City!!)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8999
    thats a dayum shame right there...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    MD, USA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,758
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    33279
    bump for old time sake..
    B Knot
    4 bars is hip hop, no need for more if it's a hit!!
    "Trunks poppin'... B Knot Hits..."
    Boss Recordings
    http://www.unsigned.com/bossrecordings
    http://www.jamwave.com/bossrecordings
    http://www.reverbnation.com/bossrecordings

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Contracts
    By bknot1 in forum DJ & Hip Hop Production
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 22:33
  2. Fantasy Football
    By bknot1 in forum DJ & Hip Hop Production
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 09:31
  3. Contracts
    By bknot1 in forum DJ & Hip Hop Production
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 07:54
  4. Question on selling my hiphop beats: Contracts
    By Kapo in forum Marketing Your Music / Publicity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 06:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!