Pro Tools 6.7 (PC) to Pro Tools 5.1 (Mac)

jb4play

Hi? I have a question. I have some Pro Tools sessions that I'm going to take from my setup (PC) to someone else's setup (Mac). I recently burned them a cd rw with the data using Nero but they said the cd and files didn't show up when they inserted the cd into their Mac. I'm guessing it's because of the cd rw and their cd/dvd drive maybe not recognizing it, or could I be wrong... What I'm asking is since I don't know much about Mac's, is there a special burn format that I have to use on a cd or dvd in order for a Mac to recognize the cd/dvd? The enforce PC/Mac compatibility box is checked in my Pro Tools options so it has to be the cd/dvd that is at fault. Also, since PC's mostly use WAV's and Mac's use AIFF's is that an issue? (My files are in BWE WAV). Thx for any help!

they can select .wav format on MACs also..What format did you burn the cd in(data or audio)...I never use Pro Tools ..but I know you should be to open any pro tool set-up in any computer that has pro tools...unless his version needs to be updated..

also ask them if they have this file Joliet File extension ..if not they need to have it...

hope this helped..

the Joliet File extension must be installed in order for these files to be read on the Mac. You may download and install this software for free. To download Joliet Volume Access 1.4.2:
1) Go to www.digidesign.com > Support > Downloads > Utilities & Links To Third Party Software > Joliet File System for Mac OS

You also need to convert your 6.0 session to a 5.0 session.

Go to File>Save Session Copy In. Make sure you select Pro Tools Version 5.0 under the dialoge box, and it will make a copy of your session.

bknot1 said:
they can select .wav format on MACs also..What format did you burn the cd in(data or audio)...I never use Pro Tools ..but I know you should be to open any pro tool set-up in any computer that has pro tools...unless his version needs to be updated..

I burned it as data.

1. Burn to a CD-R (Some older burners don't read CD-RW)

2. Burn as Data (PC Format) Macs can read PC format)

Are they running OS9 or OSX? You should be fine with OSX. With OS9, you may have problems with extensions. OSX is plug and play...

Now for the conversion. You should be able to open the session in Mac. If you have different versions you may have problems. If you have problems opening the file do this:

1. Open a NEW session in Pro Tools on the Mac.
2. Go to <File> Import Session Data.
3. Select all the tracks from the original session and import.
4. Now save the session and you're all set.

This also helps if your PT file gets corrupt and you can't open it or you didn't check the enforce PC/Mac compatibility box...

YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS OPENING A 6.7 session on 5.1. You are back tracking the software. Try the Import Session Data.

TuoKaerf said:
You also need to convert your 6.0 session to a 5.0 session.

Go to File>Save Session Copy In. Make sure you select Pro Tools Version 5.0 under the dialoge box, and it will make a copy of your session.

Yes good point. That's the fasted way. You have to do that in your 6.7 session first. Then burn it to CD to open it in 5.1. Good look..

Back