possibly ignorant question

47ronin

how many of you actually use vinyl? it seems like people here mostly use samplers and program their own stuff....do you still use decks and a mixer at all?

thanks

47ronin

not me....

I'm born from that electric voodoo.....

My first tools I got where before I even knew of any type of sampler existing. Hell for a while I thought the only samplers where like the ones built into DJ mixers. After I was already working on tracks for years with a keybaord I was introduced to a EPS16 and the internet. That's when I found out about shit like the MPC's and SP1200 that was making all the shit I was loving. But by then I already knew I wanted to be a producer a not a DJ. Midi was set into my mind and not tables and wax.

I do do some sampled tracks but It'll be from CD or maybe even the internet. Too expensive to get into that wax habit now... And that's sad cuz I had a closet with a bunch of crap I picked it all up and just gave it away.

Some cats come into the production from a DJ perspective which puts sampling and wax first. Then there's the "from scratch" cats which leads a cat to get as much sound as you can for the dollar. Then I guess there's te rapper turned producer and it seems they go or what they've seen or whats popular to use.

Seems like the majority of wax spinners around here either don't post or post up few and far between. Dope samples are pretty precious so I don't blame em really. Some of em are just actually wack and know it (first call out).;)

I think that most just ran away when they heard how much better these synth tracks sound over a sampled one. :eek: (maybe that'll get em out).

peace....

Me not so much anymore; great if you do, it's fine if you don't. In fact, try something new. Maybe live drums during breaks, reamp 'em through little practice amps, same for patches and acoustic instruments (in case anyone has a bansuri laying around). Drop into your favorite sampler, and enjoy. Izotope has Vinyl free, if you need pops and such.

MP

i dont really sample form vinyl all that much
but i do collect it
i have about 300 some records
old jazz, and rock

and all kinds of underground hip-hop from the states
then i got the good hip-hop stuff from sweden, japan, france and all that

peace
LB

Back