Pop filter problem

FattMusiek

I'm recording a rapper here at my home studio and we've encountered a slight problem. The mic I'm using is an Audio Technica AT4033. At first I was recording him in a cement floored utlity room which had hardly any low end. We then moved into the main room in my basement where more low end is present. We found that recording without a pop filter gave us a closer, more low endy sound we prefer. The filter being on seems to decrease the low end. The problem is without the pop filter the "PAHs" are killing us. How can we compromise here?

FattMusiek said:
I'm recording a rapper here at my home studio and we've encountered a slight problem. The mic I'm using is an Audio Technica AT4033. At first I was recording him in a cement floored utlity room which had hardly any low end. We then moved into the main room in my basement where more low end is present. We found that recording without a pop filter gave us a closer, more low endy sound we prefer. The filter being on seems to decrease the low end. The problem is without the pop filter the "PAHs" are killing us. How can we compromise here?
The filter should have no effect on low end - it's more likely what's known as proximity effect, where with a cardioid mic, the closer you are to the source, the more low end you pick up. You need to try to angle the mic so that his breath does not hit the capsule directly. Or you could try the old "taping a pencil to the windscreen" trick.

Ya, if you don't want to use a pop filter, angle the mic a little. Or you can have the mic just a little higher above the head. Also, if you are using a compressor with an EQ, try adding more low if you use the pop screen. You can always EQ the vocal in the mix to add more low too.

How close do you guys typically put the filter for rap recordings? The pop filter definitely has a negative effect on our sound. It does not sound as alive as it needs to. I appreciate your time.

The thing is, once a pop filter gets within an inch or two of the mic, it's pretty much useless. There needs to be space for the plosive to diffuse. Just try angling the mic.

I tried and still got some annoying pops. The angle was pretty extreme too. From a straight on position, what kind of angle are you talking about here?

The mic should be a bit above, not straight on, and tilting forward so that the diaphragm is pointed at the mouth. I can take a picture later to illustrate if that helps.

Back