That OutKast Bass sound

Bass-n-Balls

Hey what's up,

I'm new to this site and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm a producer/songwriter and I record (at home of course). I play keys and bass. My only problem is that when I play my bass on tracks it doesn't come through clear. I know I want it to be a little boomy, but I don't wan't it to sound so muddy. I've been trying to emulate the sound of the bass on the Aquemini Album. Check Track 1, "Hold On Be Strong." If you have any tips let me know...thanks

Hey,

VS 1680 w 2efx cards
Yamaha fretless
presonus blue preamp
Nathan East Yamaha Bass parametric EQ
Alesis NanoCompressor

As far as bass that's what I'm workin with. I know some pieces aren't the greatest, but I continue to exeriment with them only to get a muddy sound.

I also have access to a mic and a bass amp, but that's not really an option considering I don't really have the right environment for it.

Last edited:
live bass huh... I don't know crap about it... bvg

I can tell you what i'd try though.. I'd leave out the bass EQ and the nanocompressor. Run the bass through the preamp st8 into the 1680 with the 1680 trim all the way down. Get that level all the way up then insert a mastering effect on that input. Something like #214 or 219 that gives a low end boost (or whatever sounds about right)... Then I'd go into that effect and adjust the EQ and compressors in there to taste. Maybe turn on the enhancer if things still didn't sound right. To top it off i'd go to the the track i'm printing to and lap some kinda chorus on that so it won't record but I culd still hear it. Maybe a little maybe alot just would depend....

But that's just a bunch of talk cuz i've never even touched a bass.... :( Sounds good in my head though...

On the fretless, keep the tone knobs wide open; try plucking closer to the bridge, for more growl and less boom.

If you do use the Ne-1, keep the Eq curve shallow, and try sweeping for the mud and cutting it, 'cause big boosts at narrow bandwidths on bass can be trouble.

Maybe a little overdrive from the bluetube for added definition.

Finally, a grip o' compression.

If you're not getting the sound you want on the way in, switch out the fretless for a good P-bass.

MP

The 1680 with both effects cards? You have a hundred possibilities to dig through. Try inserting one of the many bass efx after recording the bass dry. I will look through mine and see if I remember any of them that I have used before.

Back