Now 600

jibran

DC's Finest
I have been able to push my budget to 600 bucks. I am making this a new thread so as to get more attention. What should I get for my basic hip-hop studio?
Thx,
Jibran

I'm thinking along the lines of the MXL 990 mic and the DP-01FX Digital 8-Track Portastudio; they both are supposedly a good value and they are bundled. I have a MIDI interface already (just realized) and I'll get a basic keyboard to plug into it.

The DP-01 looks pretty good. This is the one that records to a flash memory card or something like that right (Then, if you wanna mix on the computer, all you gotta do is pop this in your reader and open up your favorite DAW and go to work... but I don't know if this encodes the files in .wav or mp3 format)? This would be good with your budget cause you can spend about 200-250 on the dp-01, get a good mic or 2, some cables, and monitors. The MXL 990 is good too, and if it comes bundled with the DP thats even better, but you might wanna buy another mic with it, just so you can have a choice. Might I suggest spending another LARGE amount on an Audio Technica AT4040 (New-on ebay- about $199... you can get it used for around $100 I think if you look hard enough). Its a solid performer in my opinion. GREAT SOUND!

So that puts you up to about 350-450... monitors.... monitors... hmmm... I don't really know any good monitors, I have a hard time finding those myself... hope this helped!

Thanks,
I'm gonna use phones temporarily as monitors. The DP-01FX has a built-in HD and a USB 2 cable so I can store a bunch of stuff on it. I'ma record in my closet (easy sound absorption) for now. I'm getting ACID Studio and Sound Forge Studio for software as they work together well.

Just to point out,
I am still open to advice; I am ordering in a week or so.

Thanks for the help,
The Deen

eeeeh, phones are good for tracking, but not with mixing...

Headphones tend to color sound a lot (usually more in the low end frequencies), I forgot about the usb thing on the DP-01 digital... If this is the case, stick with it definately and just send any file to your computer and mix there. Not saying you can't mix on the DP, but I'm sure you'll be much happier mixing on a computer screen cause those standalones can get FRUSTRATING!!!!!

GET SOME FREAKIN MONITORS!!! :D

Since I'm mixing on the PC, should I spend the extra 100 bucks on the FX version; or should I spend that cash on other stuff. The non-FX one comes with a Shure PG-58 Dynamic Mic versus the MXL 990 in the FX. I've increased the budget again, to 700.

What I have...

L'espion Noir said:
what do you currently have
I don't have anything yet. I don't really even have a clue as to what I should get (I rap and want to make beats).

yo I would suggest on the beat making side to go to your local Guitar center or music store close by you. There you should find all sorts of music equipment and in most cases you can try before you buy. Just go and try them out and see what you like the most there are all sorts of stuff out there.

If you have a computer ,which is possible since you post on here. I would suggest checking out Fruity loops, Acid, Reason, or even cakewalk kinetic. You can pick Acid (entry level form) and Kinetic at your local bestbuy. The easiest of the ones I posted is probably Fruity loops due to it's point and click nature. Just do a search on this topic in the forums and you will find tons of threads that ask this same question.

On the recording side do the same as beat making go to your local Guitar center or music store tons of equipment for recording. I mean to be honest this is where most of my money would go because I dont think with 600 your could get the beat making machine you would need so I would just spend less money on like beat making sortware like I suggested I think Fruity loops is the cheapest from the bunch or maybe Acid or kinetic. I would get a good mic a decent pre amp for your sound card and some good monitors to mix with. Also getting a decent sequencing application like a Sonar, Cubase, cool edit pro or whatever to track all your music. for 600 bucks I think you could pull that off.

As all that software is good, he has NOTHING! Meaning, no interface or soundcard... meaning he has software capable of recording all this great music, BUT NOTHING ELSE!!!

Do this, get the DP-01 FX (this one is 100 bucks more, as you know, and comes with a preamp on its xlr mic channels, you'd spend about the same amount on the normal dp-01 and a seperate preamp-you cannot run condenser mics without a preamp or phantom power supply!) thats about $500. Use the $100 on an MXL 990 condenser mic ($60) and all necessary cables (xlr and usb should be all you need at the moment). Next, use whatever you have left to get FL STUDIO 5.0 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/704970/) with this, you can make pretty good beats, using samples or preset instruments, synths, etc. Then you can export them to mp3 or wav and I'm pretty sure about this, send them to the DP-01 for use. If you do happen to get any more money in you budget, I'd suggest you get Adobe Audition for computer mixing. But until then, just mix on the DP, for 500 bucks, I'm sure its pretty good!

He’ll be able to record vocals with that, but trying to record from the line out of a stock soundcard into the Fostex is a bad idea. Absolutely no reason to buy something like that, unless he needs portability.

With your budget and inexperience, I’d suggest Fruity Loops, a decent soundcard with a built in preamp for your mic and something to listen on. Headphones should be fine for now. AKG 240S and Sony MDR7506 are both real popular, $100 or so.

You can make beats in FL, then bring them into ACID Express to record your vocals. Or you can buy the Producer’s Edition of FL Studio, which does audio recording too. Then you won’t need ACID.

FL (regular version)- $100
ACID Express - Free
Headphones - $100
MXL 990 - $60
Edirol UA25 USB 2 x 2 Audio Interface with Dual Preamps - $240

$500 total.

After that, I’d buy some monitors.

He wouldn't have to record it, the dp has a usb in/out. All he would have to do is transfer an mp3/wav file to the 40 gb hard drive on the dp!

But your idea is a good plan B!

i'll go with Stray as the DP will restrict you from expansion and as y'all know this is an addictive hobby we hooked in.
so check out stray's list see what you can replace or add, then you'll need monitors, then a workstation (subliminally: Triton Extreme :D ) then a software sequencer then a audio editor then a sound module then another sound module then then then its time to up the premium on your renter's insurance or your parent to up the home insurance cuz you got thousands dollars worth of gears in you room.

check out the studio pics thread to see what you're eventually headed (there is no turning back: insert evil lough here)
minus the guitars here is my setup
www.angelfire.com/indie/studiosetup

two5tolife said:
He wouldn't have to record it, the dp has a usb in/out. All he would have to do is transfer an mp3/wav file to the 40 gb hard drive on the dp!

But your idea is a good plan B!
It does have a USB port, but not for importing files. It’s for archiving and transferring to a PC.

A standalone recorder is not a good option at all, it’s more expensive and more limited than a minimal PC set up like I suggested. Plus, it’s not expandable like L’espion said.

My bad on saying Fostex in my easier post, I meant Tascam.

I like stray's plan; however, I've tried the Fruity Loops demo and ACID Xpress. I find ACID to be much easier (for me); would it also be valid?

What do you mean by valid. Well the way I'm taking it as you mean will your music sound pro. as far as acid goes it' tool use to make beats so it only goes as far as the sounds you use. There are plenty of sites where you can download samples of all kinds from drum kits to ambient noises. Some you have to pay for some are for free. I wouldnt even mind giving you some of my drum samples just hit me up on aim at chalin27. I myself use acid exclusively to make beats. I started out using software back in like 96 and it sorta just stuck with me. I have the oppurtunity now to use the triton extreme, motiff and phantom, or MPC but I dont because well I had alot of success with acid so I just use what i'm use too. And just because you use those monsters of production dont mean your track is gonna sound pro. Same with the software you have to dig in a get the most out of it. Man that was sorta long I really hope that was what you meant because If not I wasted about a good 10 minutes lol.

stray411 said:
He’ll be able to record vocals with that, but trying to record from the line out of a stock soundcard into the Fostex is a bad idea. Absolutely no reason to buy something like that, unless he needs portability.

With your budget and inexperience, I’d suggest Fruity Loops, a decent soundcard with a built in preamp for your mic and something to listen on. Headphones should be fine for now. AKG 240S and Sony MDR7506 are both real popular, $100 or so.

You can make beats in FL, then bring them into ACID Express to record your vocals. Or you can buy the Producer’s Edition of FL Studio, which does audio recording too. Then you won’t need ACID.

FL (regular version)- $100
ACID Express - Free
Headphones - $100
MXL 990 - $60
Edirol UA25 USB 2 x 2 Audio Interface with Dual Preamps - $240

$500 total.

After that, I’d buy some monitors.
I agree with stray on this I would go with monitors instead of headphones though because it's all about the mixdown baby! I will probably be shot for saying this but what the hell I use Roland Monitors. Yep you heard it I use the Rolands that are about 79 dollars they are Sheilded to prevent feedback from you CPU. They maybe even cheaper now they are good for starting out. I started out with them and just never upgraded. I think I will now I had them since 98 and one I think is starting to show it's wear. I'm use to them and they are small enough to fit on most desk.

here's a link they are actually 99 buck at musicianfriend but you can get them cheaper at other places http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/600632/

Last edited:
Back