NEW CoLLAB - GullyJewelz - Switchin' Lanes ft. Big Menace

oooh u changed up the music a bit - i like the mix!!!! - i wish i would a dropped a longer verse though - but the mix is hot!!! i gotta put this on my usb - i got that hsit hook up in the whip now!!! im bangin this 1st ting in the AM!!!

:D yeah..i changed it up a bit..after i was playin it back..i said it needed to be changed..plus the original be \at had dome reverb in it..glad you feelin it..been playing it in the ride all day today..

Sorry, but I gotta be honest. Vocal quality from both artists is horrible. Big Menace's vocals are the worst between the two, but neither are pushing good quality. The beat is mixed well, but the vocals don't sit correctly in the mix like they should. There are a ton of competing frequencies with Gully's vox.

Come on ya'll... you wanna make serious music, make music people can take serious. Step ya quality up.

the vocals are recorded nice to my ears, just the vocals panned is a lil redundant if its gonna ride through the whole song. The 2nd vocals are harsh.

Change of POETS said:
Sorry, but I gotta be honest. Vocal quality from both artists is horrible. Big Menace's vocals are the worst between the two, but neither are pushing good quality. The beat is mixed well, but the vocals don't sit correctly in the mix like they should. There are a ton of competing frequencies with Gully's vox.

Come on ya'll... you wanna make serious music, make music people can take serious. Step ya quality up.

:eek: jesus Change..all you thats left to say is.. ::Mortal Kombat voice:: FINISH HIM!

gullyjewelz said:
y0 - can u give me some tips on what i can do to improve it?
I'd suggest a better mic, or a pre. Something (maybe EQ...?) is giving you a very boomy vocal. I'm guessing it's a cheap condensor.

You can control that, with EQing the boominess out. Your vocals are very muddy in the 300hz - 500hz range. Scoop that range by 2db - 3db, and I'd roll off below 80hz. Eliminate the heavy low end in your voice. Maybe add some presence in the 2k - 5k range.

I'm also guessing you aren't using a vocal booth. I can hear some reflections in the vocal, which sound like a natural room reverb.

Also, like KT said. The doubling of the vocal is an effect best used on hooks, not on verses. If you do it on a verse, it should be subtle, and compliment a main vocal centered in the mix. I'm not saying "Don't try something new" but, don't do something that isn't necessary for the track. Feel me?

Hope that helps.

Change of POETS said:
I'd suggest a better mic, or a pre. Something (maybe EQ...?) is giving you a very boomy vocal. I'm guessing it's a cheap condensor.

--i think i got the equipment part down - i may not know how to use it correctly . . .

You can control that, with EQing the boominess out. Your vocals are very muddy in the 300hz - 500hz range. Scoop that range by 2db - 3db, and I'd roll off below 80hz. Eliminate the heavy low end in your voice. Maybe add some presence in the 2k - 5k range.

--HOw do i "scoop out" and what does "roll off" mean ?

I even have a vocal booth with a drop ceiling in it - so im hoping its really my treatment of the machines that i am using - or misusing -

You might want to use a analyzer to help you EQ. Scoup, use a parametric EQ, which is different than a graphic or notch eq. parametric's usually allows you to have full control over your Q, Frequency, gain/reduction etc. Whereas a graphic EQ, gives you set groups of bands already. The wider the Q, the more frequencies the EQ will affect. So to take some out of 300Hz range, you would probably use somewhat narrow Q, at 300hz, and then drop it 3dB. Roll Off's the same thing as using either HPF or LPF. Some mic's have switches on them for example, that gradually cuts everything from 80hz and under.

Back