Never ending Tempo problem, blarg!

Joshoto

Hello fellow creators of vibrations and melodies. I'm a bigtime newbie and i use acid 5, FL5 and native instruments absynth 3. Now sometimes friends send me little songs they have done on guitar and i want to add stuff to them, such as sequenced drums and synth melodies. But obviously since they made the song first ( lets just say its acoustic with vocals) they made it at their own unknown tempo. How can i figure out a way to get the right tempo for the other guys song so i can toss in some drums and other stuff? I've been trying to figure this out for months. Like i'm not sure how remixing is really done but you have to figure out all your tempo problems while doing that right? i'm confused.

hhhmmm, i always start with drums, and form the melody around that.

you could make a bunch of drum patterns of varying styles and tempos and give them to your friends.
that way they can write the guitar parts to the drums, and everything should fit.

An easy way to do this is to just listen to the pre recorded track for about 10 seconds and then act nerdy hehe

result after 10 seconds of counting beats * 6 = the correct BPM...

There's about a million different ways to do this, but I'm not all that familiar with acid or FL so I thought of that solution.

One thing you do have to take into account though, is that if the whole shabang you've gotten from your friends is acoustic, I doubt they're superhuman and capable of keeping a steady pace over a long time. I don't care how good you are, no one plays THAT perfect...The best way to do this is actually to do it the other way around, you make a drumtrack and they use that to lace their shit together, and go from there.

-Nito

This will give you an idea, but again, it's almost impossible to play each bar perfectly on cue without a metronome or something but:

Single out 4 bars of the song in a wav editor and make it so that they loop perfectly. Then add them into ACID as a loop and right click on the mixer part for that particular track. It should have an option to use the tempo for that specific track and then work your drums around that. Then, mute the 4 bar loop and loop the drum track over the original full song. It probably won't work perfectly, but it'll be the best option without re-recording the track all together.

I think ACID 5 should have this function as all the other version's I've worked with do. Hope this makes sense.

-Springfield

Back