Mixtape Expenses

Venom

NODDY: son i think we could go to the top together
NODDY: like the neptunes but WAAYY beerrrrrrr
NODDY: son we should put our money together and put a mix tape out full of our sht
VENOM: yeh deff, we should.
VENOM: but how much money we talkin here?
NODDY: for what the tape?
VENOM: yessir
NODDY: lol hell if i know....im sure we can find out at HR the expenses for a mix tape...maybe you could post a thread telling them that were tryna make moves

Exactly as it says... Anyone got and information on mixtape prices, requirments, whatever?

We goin to tha top ya'll!

:cool:

Lol the cost of a mixtape....I'm in the process of completing a compilation basically a mixtape of rappers rhymin over my beats. As long as you guys are making your own beats, and doing your own mixing & mastering then the cost would come in with the cd duplication, cd covers, and promotion. Me I paid for professional mixing and mastering, and now I'm looking at the cost of cd duplication and getting cd covers printed. To save myself some loot I'll probably end up just get a bulk duplication done with no jewel cases and just basic print done on the cd. Have bulk print done on the cd covers and buy jewel cases in bulk from like ebay or somewhere. If you can find someone thats good with graphic artwork and they do it for cheap then u really wont have much to worry about. If you need any links or references to some ppl I know a few that can hook you up.

I did an all internet mixtape cost me nothing, working on something distributable now, laat i heard its like 400$ for 150 cds or something not sure about this number tho.

I'll tell you man, 150 for $400 would suck.

You can buy single jewel case CD's from here (300 for $75, the ones at the bottom)

To put this in perspective, a kid in my school made a CD and worked with a producer and all that stuff. When it released, he had to sell 200 CD's, $10 each, to break even. So I think if you sell the 300 that you buy without even needing to pay for production then you would make a pretty decent profit, kind of. You'd be a thousandaire.

Physical Ill said:
I'll tell you man, 150 for $400 would suck.

You can buy single jewel case CD's from here (300 for $75, the ones at the bottom)

To put this in perspective, a kid in my school made a CD and worked with a producer and all that stuff. When it released, he had to sell 200 CD's, $10 each, to break even. So I think if you sell the 300 that you buy without even needing to pay for production then you would make a pretty decent profit, kind of. You'd be a thousandaire.

i believe it included printing covers and ctually bruning all teh songs on and puting images on the cd...not sure at all about this tho, only what i heard

Well I aint to bad with graphic design/computer artwork... So were good there...
But printing n' shit might be a problem... Ima hafta talk with noddy on it.

Thanks. :)

i think its dfinitely a worthwhile venture - (n of course ,im hopin to be on the mixtape - lol ) but either way . .. im sure you can make the money work right!!!

Well fellas as said before you're definitely looking at duplication costs, not to mention CD and CD cover printing, advertising, hustle work putting out word of mouth (myspace hustling isn't shit and you both know that). You're also looking at needing contracts for whatever artists that appear on your beats so that they know it's for advertising and promotion only and no money is to be made from it. Most of the folks here understand that when a mixtape is done by others in the fam, but people outside of this may be expecting a cut.

There's quite a bit of stuff that goes into making a solid mixtape (and expecting to net a decent profit off it). But also just remember that if you can sell the first batch of CDs you make, you're probably only breaking even, BUT word about your work is getting out there and can develop an audience waiting on what you do next.

diskfactory.com has some pretty decent prices and I found this place in atlanta that does duplicating for cheap as soon as I find the link again i'll post it.

www.kunaki.com peep this price example:

Product type: CD with jewel case
Quantity: 50
Destination: Boston

Order date: Monday, January 9, 2006 4:00 PM
Manufacture date: Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Ship date: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:00 PM
Arrival date: Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Invoice
Units Unit Price Total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50 $1.60 $80.00
UPS Ground shipping: 15.70
Kunaki handling fee: 3.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $98.70

not bad at all for manufacturing and if ya'll need help payin for it then i'll be happy to jump on it wit u but if not thats cool too. hope this helps

wow im suprised you dudes didnt seek me out on that 1. But skimming through the post i will tell u this. Image is everything, then the music, then the mix. You can get cd dubbed at less to nothing nowadays. F a case, put em in white sleeves, con folks at 5 but make your real price at 3$ so itll be a major win win when folks shoot you a 10$ just cause.

Hoodz Prodigy 700 sold+ till this day and folks still crab at me because of it.

Amen. I like that...

Now when Noddy gets his ass back online we'll see whats goin down...
Until then thanks again for the input. Its helpin out a lot.

:)

Back