Midi Help!!! Please

geeq

I'm quite frustrated of trying to configure my keyboard setup.. here's the problem.. I can't get my midi track (from computer) to play to my sound module (Turbo Phatt)...

here's my equipment:
MIDI Controller = Evolution MK225C
Sound Module = E-Mu Turbo Phatt (upgraded version)
PC
Midi cable (joystick-midi)
Sound Cards: M-Audiophile & a cheap PC sound card..

note: I can't use audiophile for midi-out cuz I don't have a cable which has a smaller port than joystick.. i use the card for recording..

anyways, here's the route..
midi controller (midi-out) ======= (midi in A) sound module
*works good*..

midi controller (usb) ======= (usb port) pc
*works good*..

midi controller (midi-out) ========== (joystick port-midi in) sound card
*works good*..

ok, i can program/record midi tracks to my pc now.. the thing is..
i can't midi-out em so the module can play em from the computer..

(joystick port-midi out) ========= (midi in A) sound module
*doesn't work... i don't hear any sounds*...

I've tried to hook it up with midi B, using the same pattern as above.. it seems midi B, doesn't work.. i don't know why..
I tried to hook up from
(joystick port-midi out)========== (midi in B) sound module..
*my computer crash!!* then the cable get hot..

Can you guys please help me out.. i've been tryin' to figure this midi setup for more than 3 months.. well what i did was just hook up my midi controller to my sound module, then output the sounds direct to my Audiophile card or mixer... but i wanna work with midis.. I think it's much easier working with midi..

by the way, what the hell is MIDI THRU???

Never heard of a midi cable getting hot.

Get a budget midi interface and leave the pc audio card out of it all together. M-audio's Uno can be had for $40.

the problem is i can't use m-audio's midi port, cuz i lost the cable and I live in the Philippines.. so it may take awhile to get it ship from the us.. ;( is my routing right? do u guys suggest I get a midi interface for midi out to my sound module's midi in port???? what's the difference between midi interface and midi cable (joystick to midi).. aren't those the same???

You definitely need a midi interface to communicate between the computer and the outside world. Maybe you can find a cable for your unit in a store in Manila or ship one in from Japan or Australia. They are closer.

Midi Thru is a connection to allow the midi single to be "amplified" and sent thru one unit into others. To learn more about Midi you should visit www.tweakheadz.com. Lots if info there.

Peace.

Back