Mic's and Amps

Preamps are just apart of the process. You need a good condenser mic to get that pro sound that I feel you are refering too, even tho dynamics can be clear too. Different preamps add diffferent color. Avalon preamps are really good preamps. I own a
real nice Joe Meek preamp and an AKG Solid Tube, my stuff is clear and sounds good. Ohh yeah, a preamp boost the signal input and output to your DAW or whatever you are recording to. Hope this helps ya! Peace!

A dedicate pre amp usually gives you a better mic sound than the ones built into you daws interface becuase it will usually use better parts. Most daws interfaces are usually made to work decent without costing alot so anything else is usully an upgrade.

I use a TUBE MP and a 4033 and even though I plan to get a better preamp I think this lil joint does a decent job. If i'm upgrading it'll probably be to something in like a RNP or something in the $500 range. I'm happy as hell with the mic... For my instruments i use a MACKIE 1604 mixer. All going into my VS1680. Sounds a good bit better than going str8 into my 1680's built in pre amps.

Yeah Lazi, i started off wit a Tube MP with my AKG mic, worked nice. Only thing is that my Korg Trition is running directly into my Delta soundcard, I heard running it through a preamp helps the sound, but it sounds cool wit me, just a lil bit of hum.

That slight hum is maybe something to do with your power source or cables. Do any of your audio cables run with the length of you power cables? Or maybe try shorter cables... I honestly can't call it though.

A different preamp might give you some better headroom or depending on the pre a more colorful sound. Everything should actually be cool ass is though... I'd suggest trying a power conditioner or better cables but the good stuff costs. I actually have the same problem but it's not enough to bug me enough to spend on just yet. My Korg aquired a hum... I tried swtiching cables and plugging it in different outlets but it was still there. So for me considering my surroundings I think a good power conditioner will help alot. Cats claim they improve on the whole studio setup including mixers, monitor amps, and pres. Knowing how much more bang I got out of my ride when I add a set of caps it makes much sense.

Back