**Making Your Beats Full Sounding???

Thanks! This info has been too great, and Im sorry for not explaining my situation in better detail. Well, I do Hip Hop so most of my instruments are nice sounding because I sampled them from other hip hop records and such. My problem is making my tracks more funky sounding, but also knowing what elements are the reason why its so funky. I can make a drum and bass track in fruity loops, and it sounds good; but it gets boring without higher pitched type melody. For example, my stuff sounds a lot like some Nelly beats, so it needs bass; but it also needs good melodic elements(maybe from my triton). Someone told me an arpeggiator would maybe help.

I have a song that I did on the Korg Triton, and it sounds real full.... my main problem is, I want to know why it sounds full. What elements in the beat made it so full?? I know it sounds dumb, but I guess it was just a mistake song, lol. Maybe its the "bird FX".... maybe you can figure it out; heres the link!!!!!

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/2421/2421381.html

putting your finished track through a good tube pre will fatten the sound some.

compression is a key tool, get it wrong and your f'd but get it right and your onto a winner.

i rate Tribe Called Quest as one of the all time greats for phat sound and they use a mixture of compressing and tube EQ'ing from what i've heard.

When it comes to production, it has everything to do with the producer and very little to do with the gear. I find that a lot of times less is more. Master your gear. Focus on learning the ins and outs of everything you have. Then when you have something you want to accomplish that you can't with what you have, research what you need to add to your system to make it happen.

Don't compare to the Neptunes or others because they're stuff is the top of the food chain which is were you eventually want to be, but they didn't get there by mimicking. They did it by being innovative. Its all about original thought. You gotta research progressing your sound and asking questions is great, forums help alot. But essentially what your asking we all have to answer for ourselves. You have to create your sound.

Also don't try too hard. i find when I try too hard it just doesn't flow. We all hit slumps and get creative blocks, but when the vibe is right, it makes those last 50 "aight" tracks worth the wait for that 1 that is some of your best work.

Thats my rant on the subject.

Whoa, that was hot yawl. Thanks for da feedback. I already found my sound and all, and anyone is capable of making full sounding tracks even if you sustain one note through the whole song. My thing is to stay away from sustaining a rich string, just to make a beat full and grimey sounding like a lot of novice beat makers, know what I mean? I just hear producers like Neptunes and Timbaland and they can add like one synth riff; and it fills up the rest of stereo field, without messing up the original flow of the song, and not overproducing the song.

**Usually i'll have a hot bassline and a little melody going, and my drums include the kicks snares and hi hats at a tempo of about 140. This tempo is kind good for bouncy tracks so I use it sometimes. I get a 3 6 Mafia type drum & bass thing going; but somethings missing....right? I hear parts in the song where you only hear the hi hats... no other elements are there. When the kick, bass, snare and guitar melody is playing; everything is fine. What about when they arent? Thats when you notice that your beat isnt full, and needs sound effects or something.

What can I add to make the track come to life?

my proffesional opinion

Start with good sounds-end with good sounds. HAD to start with shitty sounds? supplement with good sounds. Try anything and everything...anything from gay fruityloops bass boost (hell yeah i use it) to like expensive stuff that important people use. Just make it happen. period. it's all about the attitude, and still stuff will fuck up, and then you gotta either try harder, learn from your mistakes and try smarter, OR drop the track.

I'm not sure of what do you mean by "making your beats full", is it a question of sound or arrangement? If it's the sound, one thing that I would do is put some effects to create a stereo image that's wider. Some choruses will do that, or even flangers...no reverb (that's really my opinion, but I usually can't stand reverb on beats).

If it's the arrangement....I don't know, you'll have to experiment yourself.

The thing I realized after many years of producing music, is that there is no formula (unless you want to copy). It's all about experimenting constantly, even on a budget (sometimes it's even better to be on a budget). When I started, I had an Ensoniq EPS, and that's it. Well, when I listen to some of the stuff that I was doing back then, sometimes I'm impressed, not so much by the quality of the sound, but by the originality of the tracks.
Hope it helps.
Good luck
Almiro

Almiro said:
The thing I realized after many years of producing music, is that there is no formula (unless you want to copy). It's all about experimenting constantly, even on a budget (sometimes it's even better to be on a budget). When I started, I had an Ensoniq EPS, and that's it. Well, when I listen to some of the stuff that I was doing back then, sometimes I'm impressed, not so much by the quality of the sound, but by the originality of the tracks.

Thats the truth. I started with a yamaha rx7 I think it was. Thats why I say master your gear as you go, you'll be able to do much more with it.

A good excersise I use to do would be to remake beats to sound as close as possible to the original. I did this because it helped me understand and put into context utilizing different techniques for making music. I did Scarface's Never Seen a Man Cry, the 2nd joint on DMX's 1st LP(Stop, Drop, shutem down open up shop), Fugees Killing Me Softly. A few others too.

link doesn't work...

worked for me as that long ass link minus the last "/hot_potatoe_one.m3u"

i'm on headphones and am an idiot newbie, but..nothhing is forward. backround hiss is ugly. the bass drum sounds like the shit you hear bottoming out in ghetto car's 5.25" speakers (ugly)the non kick sounds are ok, i guess, but the kick(s?) are just sorta trash up your butt

how to fix that? well...
get a new drum sound (you sound young so you prob. don't have resources to tweak tooo well especially since your asking this question)...or if your stealing someone else's beat that you had to convert from mp3 to wav then back to mp3 to get it onto this forum...stop stealing.

Hold on big blue balls, or whatever your name is. I be damn I ever stole any beat. And for your information the ghetto car trunk sound was what I was aiming for, because its made for da streets. I know about the hiss sound already, I leave it in there because of biters on the net; sure they can remove the hiss; but it betters my chances... OK? Don't you think it would be dumb to steal a beat and ask question on a beat I stole? The link is fixed now, and the reason why I posted the first link was for the peeps logged in to nowhereradio. Well check it out, I have thousands of high quality sounds, and like I said... its just an unfinished beat; get over it.

Anyone else with common sense, credibility, and some DECENT MONITORS, got feedback?

my bad yo...

didn't think about keeping the hiss in. That's a good idea.
Do most people put hiss in their songs when showing it here?

for the streets lol.

Direct linking not allowed
Either this is an invalid link, or the artist has posted this link against the agreement they accepted when signing up.

Please use a legal link.

W.

panning

like said before. it does help. try doubling the same piano or whatever track with the same note but at a different pitch. maybe someone already posted this. i didn't read everything.

Wow this post is old, but Im sure peeps still can benefit from the info in here... plus add some. What about fills, breaks, sweeps, chords, arps, etc.??? Once you have a solid melody, what else do you do? Im better now, but we all can improve, ya kno! Which do you start with first, drums? instruments? varies? Just add your opinions to this wonderful thread, LOL.

sure...

get some monitors that don't suck. that way, you hear your music sucking when it does suck. tricks and stuff are still valid i guess...course i still mix through headphones cuz i never make beats til i get home and my parents are asleep. but i'm generally pretty happy with my beats after i mix and burn and listen through my car stereo and room stereo and house stereo and friends stereos tweaking as i go. but get some nice bass, some nice mids, and some nice highs, and sddenly your beat sounds full like your stomach after a crawfish boil or whatever

Back