***Making Synth Tips***

Raydio

To put things short, I have samples up the ASS but something is missing!!! I have a few software synth like FreeAlpha and Waldolf Attack but Im having problems. Im not sure what exactly each knob does to my sound. I know about playing with the knobs but is there a better explaination to what LFO, Osc, and all the different sins and slopes mean??? Also, what plugin can I get that allows me to edit my existing samples by loading them up and then adding LFO, Delay, Resonance, etc???? All I see are synth that only let you use their engine to create sounds and then edit the functions..... by the way Im currently using Fruity Loops 4, a Korg Triton, Cubase, and Cool Edit for editing. Peace!

Ohh and you might want to learn how this stuff applies to the TRITON A12 synthesis first off cuz once you get a grip on programming that shit you let a monster out of the bag. For real...

Good info, helped a lot. Now are there any more tips on making good synths?? Any good VST instruments or other plugins??? Fill me in.

if you can do AU

http://www.u-he.com/zoyd/

this is my favorite. (i think it beats out crystal by a long shot) although, it is monophonic....

great for bass lines, it can do a good 303 style bass line, without sounding like a cheap 303 knockoff.

my general advice for learning how to program synths (especially something as tricky as zoyd) is to load up the presets and see what the programmers did to get the sounds they use. (of course you will probably want to know the basics before you do this...)

then pick your favorite presets, and start fiddling with them. see what changes in the patch do to the sound. most of the fun stuff comes from the filters. start fucking with those....

The primary struggle with synthesis is not the knob turning, but the slanguage. I always used to get lost trying to figure out what I had done, because I didn't under stand the language attached to the functions of a synth. A few years ago, I started to study up. I ain't great now, but I do feel comfortable enough to try some things and that has been very valuable. I bought a book last winter, called "Users Guide to Sound Synthesis w/ VST Instruments" by Simon Millward. That's been very helpful. Check you library out or a used bookstore for some old book on synthesis.

I assure you, once you get the lingo, it's all wide open.

Peace.

homershines

for phat drum sounds & samples
contact me at homershines@yahoo.c-o-m

Back