Live electronics/software/...

Roel

That SMART guy.
I have a project coming up in which I'll be working with jazz-players, and I'll be doing electronics; which means, programming the beats, soundscapes, ......

Now I was wondering, I'm not all that familiar with sequencing software, but I understand that most of it is pattern based, and the live part in this is (un)muting tracks and switching patterns? Now how would I go if I'd wanted to create irregular measures etc? Like 13/4, that kinda stuff? Or, a regular beat in 4/4 and then throw in one measure of 2/4, 3/4 or something?

I know I can do this in the bigger programs, just putting the loops together, but this doesn't allow any manipulations live. I'd like to keep a certain freedom of structure in it, since alot of it will be based on improvisation of my fellow musicians. (It's probably gonna be with guests, all professionals in training...)

What are the possibilities here? Which programs allow for this? Are there any possibilities that I haven't thought of?
Thanks. r.

You are talking about midi right? I think so, so...

Most software sequencers can do pattern/loop or linear recording. Your best bet would probably be to program your patterns and copy/paste them and then program any changes around those patterns. Cut and paste ya know... I don't really do any music with the kind of changes your talking about but from what i've seen in most of the equipment I have used this wouldn't be a big problem. What i'd do is lay down all the 4/4 stuff... Figure out where i want the changes and delete the 4/4 out of that section. Go back and create the 13/4 (or whatever) sections and then play that section's instument on another set of midi tracks set to use the same midi channels (and setting). This way i'd have everything seperated where i could see it and make the appropriate changes. With that I'm mainly talking about drum and percussion programming though... I'd have to go with more of a linear approach for anything else like keys or whatever. At least i'd adjust the patterns leading up to the changes...

With computer based midi progamming it's much easier to just erase notes than to set up mutes and all. Same thing with change ups... It's easier to just add ad adjust some notes than to recreate the same patterns with a few changes. With patterns you can just copy patterns and make changes then copy and paste them to different section and even edit that. Better than trying to play it live and screwing it up 50 times...

This is mostly theory (w/ a little experimenting) with me cause I don't dig hella deep into the programming like I should but I hope that helps...

Your project sounds interesting. In my experience, I would have to say that your best bet would probably be phrase triggers. These are MIDI sequences/patterns that you can assign to a single key, multiple keys and/or the entire keyboard.

For instance, you could have a 4/4 pattern on C1 - B2, a 3/4 pattern on C3 - B3 and your 13/4 pattern assigned to the rest of the board. Now you can groove along with the other musicians, transposing if needed, and making immediate meter changes. You could also use drum pads or a MIDI guitar set up to trigger the phrases.

Now that is very basic example. You can really go over the top with assigning every track/instrument to a key rather than the entire pattern. This will give you the ability to mix and match different elements from different patterns (within the same meter of course).

I personally have used Roland's RPS (doesn't transmit MIDI unfortunately) and have fooled around with IPS in Cubase. Cubase is really powerful in this department, although I haven't really spent too much time with it (not exactly intuitive at first glance). I'm sure other manufacturers have similar technologies.

Here's some reading on IPS. Funny, it's the least used function in Cubase.
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/vstmc6/vstmc6.asp

Stray

It really is an interesting project. The saxplayer in this project has done a liveperformance with David Shea, which was recorded and broadcasted 3 times on our national radio! He's goooood. :cool:

The phrase triggering is a good idea. I knew that existed, but didn't think of it... And I had no idea that this was also available in software. (I know it from the roland workstations) I have cubase SX so I guess it's time to play around with those functions some more... :)

Thanks!

More ideas are still welcome.

Oh, and one more question; how do you switch in between songs when doing this live? Just load in between? I'd like to have something going thru-out the show, I mean, kindof pads or effects that fill up the spaces between the songs. I could do the stuff manually, it'll be me and a set of trained musicians that have no problem playing some keys or buttons in between, but if there's other ways, that would be handy...

Back