Just A Question?

Fieva

facebook.com/fieva
After posting to the thread about Change getting signed, it made me think. I took a look at the deals I passed up back in the day for different reasons. In all honesty I passed up some major deals...I was wondering if anyone else passed up deals and why? Just a conversation piece fellas...

To give you guys more background, I'll tell ya'll what happened...prepare for a long one.

The first time I passed up a deal I was about 18. I was at a club in a freestyle contest. Honestly the only reason I could freestyle was because I was drunk and pissed off at the time. I didn't win but I impressed this guy who had a friend who was an A&R at Sony. So he's telling me about this guy and I'm thinking he's just lying to me to make it sound good. He gives me the guy's business card and I call it about a week later. Apparently the guy called him and told him I might call. He offered me a deal but said I had to come out to New York to sign it. I told him I wasn't interested because I was wanting to finish school and look towards starting my own company independently. I don't have the number anymore but the last time I saw A&R listings his name wasn't on there so I doubt he works there anymore.

The second time (I was about 22), I submitted a 4 track demo with portfolio to Arista because someone told me that they were considering demos. I got a call back but they told me that they were looking to set up a group. I turned that down because I didn't want to be part of a group, I wanted solo.

The third time, about a year later, I was signed with a local label called D-Town Records when I lived in Texas. The owner of D-Town knew a guy who worked with Capitol. The guy was trying to get the whole label signed under Capitol. This is also where I met my mentor (I call him uncle) who helped me get started on making beats and recording my own music. I owe quite a bit of what I learned to him. The problem was at the time, me and my mentor were beefing with the owner and his son because we weren't getting paid what we were supposed to in our contracts so we knew if we signed on to Capitol, we'd get screwed while him and his son (who also rapped on the label) were making all the money. We decided to split away from the label and start our own label. When the guy from Capitol found out that he and I left, he told the owner that he was only interested in signing me but was going to sign the whole label because the owner wasn't trying to let him buy out my contract (yeah I was PISSED when I found out the whole story). I met him but never got any info on him other than that it was a legit dude.

For me I got burned more then offered or past up on deals. So, I went independent cause I got tired of these fakers and sharks. (Not that I don't meet sharks everyday in this bis).

I meet my fair share of fakers and sharks too before, after, and during a lot of those actual deals. Comes along with the game. LOL I love it when I get some idiot who swears up and down that they're the shit and they'll be the next big thing...then I listen to about 20 - 30 seconds of a track and call them on it...usually it's like "yeah you're the shit, I just wanna cover my ears I mean nose now".

After posting to the thread about Change getting signed, it made me think. I took a look at the deals I passed up back in the day for different reasons. In all honesty I passed up some major deals...I was wondering if anyone else passed up deals and why? Just a conversation piece fellas...

To give you guys more background, I'll tell ya'll what happened...prepare for a long one.

The first time I passed up a deal I was about 18. I was at a club in a freestyle contest. Honestly the only reason I could freestyle was because I was drunk and pissed off at the time. I didn't win but I impressed this guy who had a friend who was an A&R at Sony. So he's telling me about this guy and I'm thinking he's just lying to me to make it sound good. He gives me the guy's business card and I call it about a week later. Apparently the guy called him and told him I might call. He offered me a deal but said I had to come out to New York to sign it. I told him I wasn't interested because I was wanting to finish school and look towards starting my own company independently. I don't have the number anymore but the last time I saw A&R listings his name wasn't on there so I doubt he works there anymore.

The second time (I was about 22), I submitted a 4 track demo with portfolio to Arista because someone told me that they were considering demos. I got a call back but they told me that they were looking to set up a group. I turned that down because I didn't want to be part of a group, I wanted solo.

The third time, about a year later, I was signed with a local label called D-Town Records when I lived in Texas. The owner of D-Town knew a guy who worked with Capitol. The guy was trying to get the whole label signed under Capitol. This is also where I met my mentor (I call him uncle) who helped me get started on making beats and recording my own music. I owe quite a bit of what I learned to him. The problem was at the time, me and my mentor were beefing with the owner and his son because we weren't getting paid what we were supposed to in our contracts so we knew if we signed on to Capitol, we'd get screwed while him and his son (who also rapped on the label) were making all the money. We decided to split away from the label and start our own label. When the guy from Capitol found out that he and I left, he told the owner that he was only interested in signing me but was going to sign the whole label because the owner wasn't trying to let him buy out my contract (yeah I was PISSED when I found out the whole story). I met him but never got any info on him other than that it was a legit dude.

lol you were signed to D-Town Records? I see them every so often at the studio. Thanks for the tip, I was going to do business with em.
I've seen quite a few artists out there, that start to become too picky about what they want, and end up not getting it at all.

You don't even want to know what we passed up.

Last edited:
lol you were signed to D-Town Records? I see them every so often at the studio. Thanks for the tip, I was going to do business with em.
I've seen quite a few artists out there, that start to become too picky about what they want, and end up not getting it at all.

You don't even want to know what we passed up.

I just wanna make sure that we're talking about the same people. The owner's name was DJ Black and his son's name was Lil' Rick. If I can find an old cover of the compilation that we did so you can see the folks I'm talking about. They did some shady shit so I'm just making sure they even had the proper registration to establish themselves as a business.

hmmmmm, because my dumb ass use my rap name to post online and signed papers with disclaimers i cant go into it. But lets just say half of the game wouldnt be what it was.

I was too 'East Coast' or "New York" for a few heads, and then came other bs. Like i tell folks now, im not ya super lyricist cause he died long time ago. Just remember that if that beats proper and you ask me to spit and some way the critics say I "OUTSHINE" you, take it as a compliment.

Im dumb humble but yes when i approach that mic imma try my best which i still kick myself for cause i can do a million times better. I used to be with so many camps and get singled out.. why? still till this day i dont know what makes people go damn that kid trakz is on point, or he has that charisma, or dudes is the shit, or till this damn day "Why don't you have a damn deal"?

hmmmmm, because my dumb ass use my rap name to post online and signed papers with disclaimers i cant go into it. But lets just say half of the game wouldnt be what it was.

I was too 'East Coast' or "New York" for a few heads, and then came other bs. Like i tell folks now, im not ya super lyricist cause he died long time ago. Just remember that if that beats proper and you ask me to spit and some way the critics say I "OUTSHINE" you, take it as a compliment.

Im dumb humble but yes when i approach that mic imma try my best which i still kick myself for cause i can do a million times better. I used to be with so many camps and get singled out.. why? still till this day i dont know what makes people go damn that kid trakz is on point, or he has that charisma, or dudes is the shit, or till this damn day "Why don't you have a damn deal"?

Sometimes it takes no skills to pay the bills. I flip words and rhymes 10x better then I used to. I was catching more attention when I wasn't as good IMO. I'mma post up some tracks that I did with HHK Entertainment (which later became Hammerback) and with D-Town Records. Both of these were before I knew how to make my own beats or record my own shit. Compare that to hmmm maybe even Ridin' Skinnies where I did it all myself and tell difference. When I upload a few tracks I'll post the SC link here.

I just wanna make sure that we're talking about the same people. The owner's name was DJ Black and his son's name was Lil' Rick. If I can find an old cover of the compilation that we did so you can see the folks I'm talking about. They did some shady shit so I'm just making sure they even had the proper registration to establish themselves as a business.

Hmm, probably not the same company. D-Town Records here is an established label ran by Nate (CEO) & Darryl (CFO). Darryl is the usual at the studio with his group of henchmen. They got a buzz on the radios & I believe is under Sony?

Hmm, probably not the same company. D-Town Records here is an established label ran by Nate (CEO) & Darryl (CFO). Darryl is the usual at the studio with his group of henchmen. They got a buzz on the radios & I believe is under Sony?

I didn't think so. I always did doubt the credibility and I knew that the D-Town Records that I knew wouldn't exist now because when me and my mentor left, that D-Town lost their only producer and their producer in training (at the time). With no one else to make the music for them they were left crippled.

Yeah only reason I went through that bullshit anyway was to learn a thing or two about the game and get some (technically) free production as I was learning things. Makes me wonder if the dude from Columbia got swindled into thinking that the one I was with was the real one....u never know. LOL.

lol, well it wouldn't have really mattered. They wanted YOU homie. Obviously got the right stuff to make it. ;)

I consider myself adaptable while still staying true to myself. I can entertain and embellish (where it's obvious that I'm doing either or) without just straight out lying and claiming things that aren't true. That's something that a LOT of cats in the game can't do.

Mindset by the way, you've been pushing Lt. Mac for a while now. He got a myspace or anything that I can hear his flow on?

Back