I'mma change it up

dobro

So I wanna do a rap but I come in here and there's like...what?...2 replies max for the top thread on page one? What's that about? You sadsters just post stuff here and never listen or comment? What's wrong witchoo? Or is the music in here not worth listening to? Just asking. Before I post something here, I mean.

What are you actually asking bruv?
You're coming across as a little bit angry... You know this is the internet right?!

If you want to 'do a rap'; we (the internet) definitely ain't stopping you. You should totally 'do a rap'.

We (the internet) are looking forward to hearing it.

I'm off to listen to some more records (always listening for that sample Holmes) while you sort your shit out... Let us (the internet) know when you're ready.

:laughings:

Yeah, there's something strange about this community that they post but seldom reply.

This ain't a forum that respects hip hop (this much is clear when reading posts in the 'other' sections...

ILL Musik is a nice forum but real quiet. Future Producers is definitely more hip hop oriented but an obviously younger crowd. Gear Sluts is useful but there's a definite clique with some of those heads.

This ain't a forum that respects hip hop (this much is clear when reading posts in the 'other' sections...

That's arguable. I'm seeing a lot of users in this sub-forum that I don't see in any other forum. The same thing can be said for those in the Analog forum, but every post in that one is ridden with replies. Don't blame the entirety of Home Recording. Blame those in this subforum, because what I'm perceiving is that everyone is producing something that wants to be heard, but no one cares about anyone else's work.

What are you actually asking bruv?
You're coming across as a little bit angry... You know this is the internet right?!

If you want to 'do a rap'; we (the internet) definitely ain't stopping you. You should totally 'do a rap'.

We (the internet) are looking forward to hearing it.

I'm off to listen to some more records (always listening for that sample Holmes) while you sort your shit out... Let us (the internet) know when you're ready.

No attitude, Dave, just putting something to the test. Somebody on another forum pointed out how nothing ever happens in the DJ and Hiphop Forum, so I decided to check it out. The fact that you are THE ONLY PERSON who responded to this post pretty much proves the point, I think. Everybody posting their stuff here, nobody talking about it or responding. And quite probably NOBODY LISTENING. What a waste. I mean, don't people here like music enough to listen to it? Or is this demographic all about the posture of the presentation? If that's what it is, it's boring.

Tell you what, though...you get a thumbs up. Just for replying.

I get where you're coming from.

TBH. I don't use forums to find new music... I find it in other ways... And I do find new music (although I'm quite specific in my taste... I'm UK so prefer to hear a UK voice that represents... And I think Trap is shit... I'm BoomBap all day...)
I make hiphop myself so I check this section sporadically for conversations on production that are hiphop specific. Maybe I can add... Maybe I'll learn
That said, most production techniques are applicable across genre (and I do use electro & acoustic instruments in my own stuff) so most of my posts are in the more 'mainstream' section of this forum.

For more hiphop-production-specific conversation you're definitely better off hitting GearSlutz or Future Producers. Ill Musik is nice (good battle scene - constructive critique) but it's forum is quiet... Hopefully more members will change that.

But for general production talk, advice etc Home Recording is nice... A lot less 'cliquey' than GearSlutz can get and replies less condescending than is the case (often from the mods) at Future P's.

Personally, I don't (at least often) 'link' to my music. I have a YouTube where I put works in progress and a Soundcloud (prepped for upcoming beat tape). But linking every track I make in lots of forums serves no real purpose. My mission is to work with MCs not sell to them. To be part of the scene and not hanging on to it.

There's enough bullshit within the industry that's killing hiphop (pophopbollocks). I don't need to be a part of that.

I guess my point is: Forums are supposed to be a place for conversations, not posting your product...
All these heads (loose term) that post their product know this subconsciously, so they don't comment on others products and aren't surprised when nobody comments on their own...

The main issue is that they keep posting their product despite the pointlessness of it; when being part of the conversation would probably bring in more listens (assuming they put a Soundcloud link or similar in their signature and actually say something)

Stupid is as stupid does.

That's arguable. I'm seeing a lot of users in this sub-forum that I don't see in any other forum. The same thing can be said for those in the Analog forum, but every post in that one is ridden with replies. Don't blame the entirety of Home Recording. Blame those in this subforum, because what I'm perceiving is that everyone is producing something that wants to be heard, but no one cares about anyone else's work.

I meant both the forum and this subforum but I'll clarify my viewpoint -
I don't think that posting ones product in a forum has any real benefit for the producer.
I don't think posting ones product within the hiphop section of this forum shows any respect for hiphop or the conversations that hiphop is involved in.
I think that the posting of product in this sub-forum kills any form of discourse on hiphop-specific production techniques.
I don't think that many of the members of Home Recording (the entire forum) have any respect for (or at best any real understanding of) hiphop as a genre or the work that goes into the production of it.

That said... I think this is a great forum. I think some work needs to be put into this particular sub-forum.

I meant both the forum and this subforum but I'll clarify my viewpoint -
I don't think that posting ones product in a forum has any real benefit for the producer.

Not in terms of numbers or hits, no.

I don't think posting ones product within the hiphop section of this forum shows any respect for hiphop or the conversations that hiphop is involved in.

I don't get this. Posting your product just gives people a chance to hear what you're up to, and also to talk about it. Talking about it sometimes turns on some lights for producers and the product gets better as a result. But in this forum, nobody talks about it. Dumb. Dumb.

I think that the posting of product in this sub-forum kills any form of discourse on hiphop-specific production techniques.

Well, if people would listen to what others posted here and then talked about it (like happens in the Clinic) that would be the very discourse you're talking about.

I don't think that many of the members of Home Recording (the entire forum) have any respect for (or at best any real understanding of) hiphop as a genre or the work that goes into the production of it.

More or less true, I think. Most people at HR don't have much of an appreciation for hiphop or country or jazz or classical or even electronica. Bluesheads don't even post much here. I don't get it.

That said... I think this is a great forum. I think some work needs to be put into this particular sub-forum.

This forum is a great opportunity that's not being exploited. I just don't get it. If you go into the clinic, you have a *lot* of people who post their stuff and listen to each other's stuff and comment and learn from each other. It's really valuable for raising your game. Why doesn't that happen in this forum? It makes me want to ask the stupid question 'Aren't people interested in the thing they're interested in?'

I've said it before and all you to have to do is visit this section of the forum to see it with your own eyes.

The "Hip-hop community" (HAHA!) is a fucking train-wreck. Don't blame this site, it's THIS SECTION and nothing else. This is the only place where everyone is screaming "listen to me!!!! Listen to me!!!!", but NOBODY is listening to anyone else. It's the most selfish group of wannabes on the planet. Every single thread has zero replies, maybe one, two at the very most. Why does that not happen anywhere else on this site? It's got nothing to do with people not respecting rap on this site. It's the rappers themselves that are ignoring each other.

You can always spot a "producah" even in the MP3 Clinic. They're the only ones that drop off their tune, tell everyone to listen to it, and never comment on anyone else's tune. For that matter, they don't even come back to comment on their own tune when someone else does comment on it. It's all about the drive-by.

I've also said this before, too, before I get accused of being anti-rap or something equally stupid. I listen to rap. I like good rap. I'm an exception as far as being mainly a rocker is concerned. Most other rockers can't believe or understand that I love me some Snoop, Dre, the Dogg Pound, and a lot of other rap. But, the lack of interaction in this forum speaks volumes for the culture of hip-hop "artists".

If the same lack of interaction happened everywhere else on this site, that would be one thing. But it's only in this section that there are tumbleweeds and crickets. Blaming the "lack of respect for rap" for that is lame and un-true. The rappers don't even have any respect for rap by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Most people at HR don't have much of an appreciation for hiphop or country or jazz or classical or even electronica. Bluesheads don't even post much here. I don't get it.

I disagree with this. If people don't post their style of music here, I think it means the opposite. It means that Blues-heads, jazz musicians, etc....don't have a respect for this site, not the other way around. I've seen people post jazz, blues, country, and every other style here, and they ALL get responses, even the rap artists get responses in the MP3 CLinic. Unfortunately, they never come back to acknowledge those comments, since they're probably too busy dropping off their tune all over the internet. At the very least, people will begin their comments with "This isn't something I'd usually listen to, but........" and then give their comments, advice, praise, etc....

So, if certain styles of musicians don't post their music here, it's not the site that has a lack of respect for them, it's the other way around. You can't comment on something if it hasn't been posted. This site is as inclusive as it gets.

For the most part I'm in absolute agreement with you. But still maintain that a lack of understanding of what hip hop is by the forum as a whole is at least a factor in this sub-forums "train-wreck".

Posting product in a 'clinic' for critique is one thing but this particular sub-forum is just a dumping ground for Soundcloud links. Shouldn't have been allowed to become that.

Forums are a different kind of social media to twitter/Facebook and the allowance of purely self-promotional posting kills the conversation. And it's conversation, the discourse that centres around what hiphop is that created the genre.

The hip hop industry is what's really to blame (and who I'm really angry with) and is killing itself...
Gone are the times when rap was used as a method of social critique. There's rarely any form of social commentary in contemporary hip hop... The conversation is being killed from within.

Then there's the change in production values of the genre. The rise of the Trap beat is killing one of the main elements (turntableism) and as it dies, so does the art of sampling... Now at best (and it's some of the worst) we get some minted pop-hop producer just looping something we all know really well because he's the only person who can afford to 'clear' the sample (or pay out after the court case).. There's definitely no sign of dusty fingers; or of using totally obscure samples and chopping them to the point of being almost unrecognisable whilst creating a fresh groove.

I guess I'm just an old head who doesn't like what the genre is becoming because I grew up with it when it was at peak and can see where it could be. Angry that young MCs don't say anything important; don't even appear to see what's going on around them. And I'm isolated because the stuff I make (despite being dope) is perceived to be 'that old school' hiphop and those rappers with something to say have vanished in the ether...

For the most part I'm in absolute agreement with you. But still maintain that a lack of understanding of what hip hop is by the forum as a whole is at least a factor in this sub-forums "train-wreck".

Posting product in a 'clinic' for critique is one thing but this particular sub-forum is just a dumping ground for Soundcloud links. Shouldn't have been allowed to become that.

Forums are a different kind of social media to twitter/Facebook and the allowance of purely self-promotional posting kills the conversation. And it's conversation, the discourse that centres around what hiphop is that created the genre.

The hip hop industry is what's really to blame (and who I'm really angry with) and is killing itself...
Gone are the times when rap was used as a method of social critique. There's rarely any form of social commentary in contemporary hip hop... The conversation is being killed from within.

Then there's the change in production values of the genre. The rise of the Trap beat is killing one of the main elements (turntableism) and as it dies, so does the art of sampling... Now at best (and it's some of the worst) we get some minted pop-hop producer just looping something we all know really well because he's the only person who can afford to 'clear' the sample (or pay out after the court case).. There's definitely no sign of dusty fingers; or of using totally obscure samples and chopping them to the point of being almost unrecognisable whilst creating a fresh groove.

I guess I'm just an old head who doesn't like what the genre is becoming because I grew up with it when it was at peak and can see where it could be. Angry that young MCs don't say anything important; don't even appear to see what's going on around them. And I'm isolated because the stuff I make (despite being dope) is perceived to be 'that old school' hiphop and those rappers with something to say have vanished in the ether...

You're going way too in-depth about this. We shouldn't add Functionalist sociology in here to muddle up a simple observation. I don't think that the degraded industry is to blame even in the slightest part of this problem. If blame is placed on the industry for the change in the hiphop culture, then the same should be said for the rock culture, which highly shares in their music on this forum; Ay, but there's the rub. Why are we using one forum to gauge the entire hip-hop culture? This place actively promotes criticism and discourse. If the individuals in this sub don't follow that promotion, then that's entirely on those individuals. There's another problem within the certain sub-culture that I don't think can attributed to outside sources: for it can be, then this problem should be pervasive in other genres here, and it's not.

But still maintain that a lack of understanding of what hip hop is by the forum as a whole is at least a factor in this sub-forums "train-wreck".

Hm, what do you mean by this? The forum's just a piece of software. The mods just create the section, like they did with every other section here. It's up to the members (you) to either make it into something, or not.

Than start your own. Who cares what some "industry" does or doesn't do.

Hm, what do you mean by this? The forum's just a piece of software. The mods just create the section, like they did with every other section here. It's up to the members (you) to either make it into something, or not.

Than start your own. Who cares what some "industry" does or doesn't do.

Yep. It is up to the members to decide for themselves what the content is. Well... within the rules anyway.

The forum is there. Make it happen. :)

Nah, I don't think that's the case Dave. It's not like hip hop is some secret code that only those fully immersed in the genre can understand. If the music's good and you come across as more than a drive-by spammer, then HR posters will likely reciprocate.

If it was that all the hiphop heads were commenting on each other's posts in this sub-forum, but none of the mp3 clinic mainstays were, then you'd have a point. But that's not the case - nobody listens or replies to anything. If everyone who posted their own tune in here, replied to say two other threads each time, then it'd be a viable community. As it is it's a sink whose only function is to hold all the click seekers in one place and stop them spilling over the rest of the forum.

Occasionally some hiphop used to make it through into the clinic and I'd sometimes take a listen/make a reply. There was some good stuff, but in like five years of posting on here, I've never seen a single rapper or hiphop producer post a single piece of feedback to anyone else in the clinic. In the end I gave up, and I suspect that most others who were initially interested or willing to comment did too - when you see hiphop you can almost guarantee there will be no meaningful interaction. I don't know whether it's because hiphop is often so individualistic or what, but it's certainly more than just anti-rap prejudice from the forum members.

You could just as easily replace your genre with any other that anyone on here is interested in I think. We're all increasingly irrelevant and locked primarily into decade of our youth that formed our tastes. I suspect that the generation before you felt the same way about your music and these angry young MCs of today will feel the same about the next generations.

If you've an audience anywhere, then it's probably in the hiphop fans of a similar age to you. None of us are getting rich or famous any time soon, and there's bound to be plenty of veterans of the stuff you make who are receptive to your style. Whether they're on internet forums looking for likeminded folks is another question entirely, but I reckon just enjoy the stuff you do and if anyone else likes it, then that's a bonus :)

...and if you do want to participate more meaningfully on here, then jib off this subsection and post your music in the clinic. Be the hiphopper who bucked the trend :D

Back