How to record hip hop "ayy" effect?

dcl86

Hey guys, im tryna record the typical hip hop sounding "ayy", which usually sounds like a crowd of people. I'm doin a few takes in different tones..somethings lacking.. any ideas?

1) let us hear something first
2) find the sound effect of the sound you want and chop it up in the program
3) for me, when i wanted it "real" i would track it 6 times and layer them with slightly dif. effects to bring em out . . . but 6 might be TOO many . . . not too sure . .. let us hear what you got . . . hten its easier to see where you tryin to go . . (at least for me)

and be sure to check out . . . http://www.myspace.com/breadwinnaz for the hot tish!!! drop a comment too

I have the answer!

For real...

I've done this many times, and there's really no trick. Get a few friends togehter (3 or 4 is plenty) and record 6 to 10 tracks of you all doing the 'ayy's.

Then just pan half of them left and half of them right and send them all to a group channel (or aux in protools).

There you have it, any effects should be applied to the group channel. :)

and then when you're done with that solo it and blend it as a solo track and then chop out the silent parts and you can throw them in as effects next time.

yeah, there's no secret. many takes, diff. panning and levels on them, throw some +/- reverb on them. easy.

Or if you're that desperate, download an acapella song that has it off the internet and chop that part out if you can.

I've got it!

RecordingCrowdVocals_comic.png

I posted a blog entry about your question. I hope it's ok with you :)

Last edited:
Back