How to record an album for $50

stray411

Money is tight for almost everybody. You just have to be creative. Try these:

RENT
Most local stores (not chains like GC) will carry at least some used stock. They love to make money so more often then not, they will rent you anything in their used inventory for a nominal amount.

- I use to rent a Tascam 414 (or 424 when they had it) and a couple of Shure Mics (SM58) from a store nearby. I recorded my groups first demo on it, as well as our EP the following year. Cost for the whole set up was like $15 a week.

- I monitored on some bunk bookshelf speakers I had. Use whatever you can, just make sure you are used to what good recordings sound like on them. I also had to get a tape deck to mixdown to. Picked up a used one for $25.

- Nowadays these stores are probably carrying used VSs, which are heads and shoulder above what I was using back in 96-97 with the Portastudios. They can do pretty much everything you'll need to do.

TRY
I"M NOT TELLING YOU DO THIS, JUST SAYING IT CAN BE DONE.
If you have a credit card at your disposal you can always pick up a nice recorder and mic from a big chain like GC and have a full 30 days to try it out. You can get a lot of stuff done in 30 days if you know what I mean. If you're worried about it ask a salesman the deal. We had a few here who actually encouraged it.

SW Trials and Freeware
I got a lot of use out of ACID Express (free version) and Goldwave (freeware). Not all demos of SW are fully functional, but some are. Freeware sometimes sucks, but there is some good stuff out there too. Aside from the one's I mentioned, I can also vouche for Audacity. All those and then some available at www.hitsquad.com/smm

Obviously, these are short cuts and definitely not the best option, but they are solutions to limited $$$$. Anyone else have any budget conscious tips?

Stray

Last edited:
Good tips stray.

I remember the now comes the mystery beat - it's hot.

They both sound pretty good for what you were using.

I love to hear peoples' older stuff so I can see how they've developed, it helps me to lay down my own stones to cross the river.

Good thread, this should stay around for a good while (I hope).

yo good looking man. this is gonna help a lot of broke cats (such as myself) out. thanks

ghost

i must say u was doing the damn thing then and u still blazin the damn thing now..

Did you ever know that

You're My HERO, Stray:)
Just Kidding

I think im gonna try that 30 days thing

BUT YOU DIDNT TELL ME TO!!!

Back