How to layer Vocals in a Hip Hop Song Properly?

ambi

Whenever ive recorded hip hop vocals into a song before they sounded outa place and not like they were actually in the song. The songs were bad and had no basslines, but my new stuff does, and is much better quality. Do you think it was cause of a bad flow? or just cause we're used to the sounds of our own voices? Any help would be apriciated.

the level of the vocal in relation to the rest of the mix affects it.

The choice of room/ambience also affects it.

The delivery of the singer is very important as well.

ok

i figured it was a compbination of a lot of things. Our flows were bad cause we're real newbies at rapping, there was no bassline and the song was really bad quality, so we had good quality clear vocals in a shit song, and possibly cause we're used to the sounds of our own voices and we don't like it. Ok, another question. What effects are used on hip hop vocals commonly? EQ - Reverb - Compression?
what about short delay?

If your beats wack, and you can't rap, why you worried about the sound quality? I think the first thing you need to do is hone your skillz.

ha

ahaha, good point
but thats what we've been doing. So we want the recordings, filers, levels n shit to be better this time.

carv

i heard on another board about carving a whole in the song, removing some mid ranges with eqing so the vocals fit in nice, would that have anything to do with it? Also the vocals before were relativly raw, no eqing. is eqing essential with raping vocals?

Back