how do u feel about ur beats?

YounQcass

Whats up people...I was Just wondering how people treat their compositions. iveseen producers just give beat cds away. Personally I like to be whereever my material is being heard to talk either business or to get creative criticism ...but ive come accross beat cds that will lets say play half the hook into the verse for about maybe 12 bars or so...To me i think thats suicide...other times ill hear the producer talking all over the track like an awful dj...Im just curious as to how you guys extend yourselves through your tracks. and What do u feel comfortable doing and not doing as far as marketing your material.

I give away some beats for promotion and it’s good promotion IMO. They’re beats that don’t take long to make and I would never try to sell.

I don't like the awful dj method although a LOT of people prefer to do that. I mean if you make something that you intend to sell, especially if it's something that can be ripped so easily online (like pirated software), you want to try to protect that from happening the best you can. As for me and my beats, I'll give you the intro, verse, and the chorus and then fade out when the 2nd verse starts. That should be enough to tell if you like the beat and wish to buy or lease the beat or not. I usually repeat my verses so that works for me. A lot of people do change ups and all kinds of stuff like that to their tracks, which isn't bad. I'd do that on request, but not just as a beat. I leave that up to the person buying the beat from me.

Whenever I give out CD's of beats it's usually of me rapping over it. Usually snippets of full songs. Then, if they like what I can do production-wise, I'll work to make something exclusively for them. The stuff with me on it is not for sale... just a look into my production and self promotion for my album. I mainly produce just for myself, but I'm always more than happy to sell a beat or give one away to the right person.

-Springfield

i mostly make beats for myself. but if someone wanted one that i wasnt going to use, i would sell it to them cheap. or maybe give it up for free depending on how much i liked their lyrics.

Online you have to play by different rules than when you are dealing with real artists offline. Offline I give artist a beat CD of full length copyrighted beats, in the hopes that they will demo the beat out, create a song, and cop the track. This works fine because established artists realize there is consequence if they put a record out on your two tracked mixdown and sell copies. Online, if you are trying to aquire leases you cant have all of your tracks up for free download because emcees will just download and do their thing on it(even though it usually isnt anything big). For my beats CDs I makes sure that beats have proper intros(not just the instruments with no drums backing) full hooks, verses, and maybe a second verse break, or if the song requires a bridge I will include that. Online I generally give the listener two verses and two hooks, so it ends up being about 2 mins and 30 seconds. I have found that when I do only one hook and one verse its not enough time to vibe out and start thinking of ideas to the track, which will often cause folks to not buy the track.

FM I see where you're coming from. I just think that a hook and a verse should be enough for an MC to see if he likes the beat at all. Like I said before...I hate the awful dj method. If you're gonna provide the full track and want to talk over it, don't talk over so much that the MC can't concentrate on the beat. Say if someone wanted to lease a track from me, then I don't mind customizing it and editing it like they want it (even though it's just a lease) because I already have the main file(s) to work off of so it's not like I'm doing custom shit from scratch.
I have custom beats as well as package deals available as well.

Too many online MCs want to steal your shit if they can because they don't have the money to buy the track (or ain't tryin' to break bread if they think they can get it for free). Once I make my domain, I may consider having a section of free beats and then a lease section.

Back