An honest question from someone who doesn't understand rap...

tha fitted cap n grill is tha bay area in me, but i been on my hip hop shit since i was born, real talk, everyday of my life since...

Change of POETS said:
Haha, sure ya are... ;)

The grill and the tilted brim say so, right? :eek:

I digress.

Nah, that tilted brim depicts open warrants to me!!!!!!LOL

Nah, good breakdown on Hiphop though Change. I hate coming off like I know e're thang, but dude talking about he is hiphop? Hiphop was my era of growing up, I'm 40. So I didn't just read about Hiphop, I witnessed and was an active part of it. (My DJ dayz.... :rolleyes: )
I don't hate snap music, I just hate when people try to make it Hiphop.
You gotta draw the line somewhere, if not we'll be flooded by all kinds of dckheads calling themselves hiphop!

I'm late to the party, so pardon if some of this has been addressed already.

Lt. Bob said:
and let me point out that rascism is dead with some people at least and I wish there'd be at least a little recognition of that.
I'm white but I find the 'n' word very offensive ..... as a musician some of my best friends are black and as a piano tuner a majority of my customers were black and they were my friends with absolutely no reservations or behind their back remarks.
You're single view is only part of the equation. Most black folks could care less what a single white person thinks, as long as it's not a person in power, with control over black folks lives in some way.

The racism that concerns most folks is the institutionalized racism that effects black folks on a large, social & economic scale. For example: Corporate America employing a disproportinate number of blacks, paying black disproportionately; jail sentences handed out disproportionately against blacks; funding schools in black neigborhoods disproportionately, ect.

You could have more black friends than me. Until the attitudes of the powers that be change, racisism will be alive and strong. And it is.

Lt. Bob said:
I'm not stupid so I suppose it must exist but a blanket statement of white people laughing at blacks seems kinda unfair, especially since there are some white people right here showing a sincere interest in educating ourselves about this music.
I'm not too familiar with Laffy Taffy or that other tune mentioned, but realize music in Ameica thrives on sales to white folks. Many white folks tend to be entertained by black hardship... violence, ignorance, pain & suffering, ect. It's a way for whites to experience it without having to live it.

I just went to a Steele Pulse concert a couple of weeks ago. All black reggae band singing about nothing but black struggle... the crowd was 90% white... the same as you would see at a Bob Marledy concert years ago.

And this translates to gangsta rap music. Yeah, some black folks eat it up, but it's mostly bought by whites. So, in a case where a black group is cooning, generally, it doesn't entertain us. It etertains white folks.

You may be able to exclude yourself from this, but realize that record or most any other record wouldn't be what it is without white support. That's what crossing over is. Unfortunately, black ignorance crosses over very well.

gullyjewelz said:
how bout this - y cant artists like common n talib kweli type artist have their record labels run that payola tish too? then at least fans could hear "more"

i hate payola and dont think it hsould occur - but u cant change the world - if u cant beat em, join em - play their game, . . . if its all about who pays the station - then some non-gangsta, snap-music, hyphee, car-ridin-drug-dealin, what ever tish artist/label needs to kick in the doh!!!!!
Money! I would think Common could get more support, but Talib is on Koch isn't he? I doubt Koch has the type of money it would take to steal time from the majors.

But hey, they just passed a law that's going to force stations to give at least 30 minutes a day to indy label music. So now indies can compete(read pay) for that time on a smaller scale.

30 minutes out of 24 ours. That's hilarious. I wonder if there were time restrictions. If not, indies can look forward to spins 3:00-3:30am.

Common is on Geffen. I'm really happy about what KanYe did for Com', in the sense that he got a lot of the mainstream cats to open their ears to him.

Kweli is now on Blacksmith Records, the label he runs with his manager. It is an imprint of Warner Bros.

ok here it goes

i have no dog in this fight really, but
i am 37 years old and i grew up when hip hop was born and if you know your history of hip hop it started in the mid 70s and it was a lifestyle as well a musical style and at the time only musicians were living it then it became a cool concept and people in the streets were calling it their own then with a hip hop beat a group called the sugar hill gang mad a song where they spoke over that hip hop beat and called it rap....hence the difference between rap and hip hop. rap in the beginning was always done over a hip hop beat but then drum machines and midi although were around abit came into play and rappers could then make their own beats because there werent many hip hop albums that could be rapped over. then comes the 808 and rap took off. now herers why most of these kids nowadays call rap, hip hop is because they are not musicians in the sence of the word, they grab a already made loop, put a few together to create a song and call themelves a musician. call me old fashin or even a band nerd but i was in band at school from 5th grade till graduating learned how to play five instruments and read sheet music...and in learning this learned how to program a midi sequencer and a drum machine. and it really bugs the shit outa me when these kids who cut, copy, and paste a loop or rap over a already made cd and call themselves a musician and think hip hop and rap are the same. do me a favor read on the history and you'll see that im right, and you can only read it cause you were not there.

even tho i didnt live it back then i been livin it since 86, n i know what hip hop is, i been livin in tha bay area my whole life, if you know hip hop then you know the bay area is one of the last few places that fully represents what hip hop is

im not sayin you hate but, i respect all tha music thats out there, even if its cats like d4l and dem franchize boyz n i consider them as equally hip hop as talib or mos def. juss cause they dont spit lyrical shit, n their songs dont even really make sense, theres still alot of people who love that shit, juss like crunk n hyphy or chopped n srewed, theres a whole culture behind the music n that music represents someones lifestyle n even tho i think almost all of that shit is weak(exept for hyphy) i still respect it as hip hop music n showing how broad of a range rap music has...

as for the copy and paste rappers
i dont really hate on them either, i usto be one, so i know they just tryin to have fun, i juss wanted to make rap songs n downloading an instrumental is just so easy and its like, hmm, should i try to make a beat to write to, or write to this kanye west beat, most will go with the kanye beat
im shure if this shit was avalible in tha 90s or 80s young rappers back then would do the same
but you juss gotta remember these kids arent dedicated musicians so as soon as they start to get bored or whatever they'll move on n leave rapping alone, so its best to not even worry about em n juss let em have their 15 minutes of fun,

real talk tho im a living breathing representation of the hip hop culture, i know my culture, its my culture...just trust me...

Didn't you see what Change wrote? Even D4L themselves didn't consider their work to be hip hop.

This is not an insult to them - it is accredition, of a sort. We are recognizing that they are bringing something NEW to the table.

I guess it doesnt hurt to think back as to why and how I grew fund of certain types of music.

With Rap and Hiphop, for me, it began with the dope dancing when breakdancing was cathcing popularity in the 80's
It was the scratching on dope beats, thick repeatative basslines, the adlibs, beatjuggling records, drummachines, thick electronic thump that sounded funky and was for a younger generation.
It was so creative I wanted to be part of it. The catchy chorusses, the fun it seemd to be around it, the breakdancing robots and the pop-locks.
It was the music to a subculture I grew fund of cuz it was so special.
It had everything. Graffiti, Dances, everything. It had funk, it had agrresiveness, I could totally relate.
The whole mix in the good old hphop is just dope.. You can taste a bit of the greasy newyork streets and city culture when listening to some beats.
And really, you might think its sound strange, but Hiphop music (early 90's,
late 80's) IS so creative. It just IS..

Just like pop there been numerous types of styles that been blended with straight hiphop beats. I can really get off on ie. musical-type ish thats blended so dope with heavy hiphop its taken out of its sillyness and made it
so silly its "dope".
Take a raggtime tapdancer and mix it with god made me funky drums.
Put some jazzy stabs in it, and you got this track thats so creative, and still sound "dope" / hiphop. It'll sound "hiphop" and still maintain its character or context wich is jazz. But now, its hiphop.. Thats creatve..

I aint got lots of good things to say about Pop.
Now if you listen to Popmusic. Its if theres this 1 guy or girl producer monoplizing the whole world now, writing/producing ALL the major tracks/lyrics and music. Cuz they all sound the same to me...
Even the now "pseudo" rock more agressive pop. Its all lame and tame stuff.
No energy, now spunk, now wild guitars.
Because all equipment is qualitywise so good, Its all mixed so clean,
they mixed the llife out of it all, the guitars the shouting, the grt. Its gone.
it sounds sooooooo DULL.
Even hard rock ish sounds more like annoying love ballad shit with wining backstreet boy whyning than grit.
They all have the same aura,the same instruments, the same feel, this same build up routine,
they all sound like they were mixed straight for Skyradio-FM. Popmusic now has this "teenage girl in love feel" to it.
No spunk. May it be goth, rock,gringe,they all sound pussy.. I rather listen to kylie minogues "better the devil you know"
wich is a more interesting listen. Or the locomotion even. SOunded more fun than the ish of today.
You dont need to be special anymore to become famous.
And with rap its just plein gone out of hand... (so not let me even start about that)

I also liked that R&B mixed with phatt drumbreaks like maryj and en vogue used to do. Theres lots of examples.
The only rap/hiphop I dont like is everything from that 2pac/gangsta era and straight till 50c. Thats just plein stupid.
See, In the 80's you could cuss fuzz be cool be macho if you like, but there always was sillyness around it, it wasnt serious at all.
You still could speak cool, walk cool, have some stupid fresh combination of clothes, but it was just a style with a wink to it.
But now these kids take that image and made it their life and take it far too seriously. If you misstep on someones sheos now, youre dead. Andthats just plein braindead. its silly, Its stupid.
Its soo.. "Disconnected"

I aint tryina be stupit or nothing, but why does it matter so much?? Just live your life and let people think as they wish, it shouldnt effect everyone like this. Music is music. People listen to it as entertainment, for dancing, to have fun. Not to argue about it, lol... :D

Back