Hmmmm..... now I need a mic

I-AM

Good day Hip Hop/ R&b enthusiasts,

I am particularly excited that HomeRecording created this Discussion Forum, as with all genres of music, techniques are going differ slightly but not much.
I am in the market for a recording mic.
I have about 150-200 dollars to spend and I will be recording rappers and singers to go over my compositions.
Not only do I know this question has been asked in other forums, and to show my smidget of understanding about the different sounds that each produce; I would have to say that a condenser mic with more of a darker sound would do just right for me starting off.
Although not always will one Mic do the trick for all situations.
Any suggestions.

Thanks,

I-am

Think about an Octava MC-319. It doesn't have the hyped high end that a lot of the condensers in this price range have.

"Think about an Octava MC-319. It doesn't have the hyped high end that a lot of the condensers in this price range have."

I agree with TR I have a couple Oktava MK-319's with tube pre's and they sound great...

Carter

I record R&B and Hip Hop primarily, and I use the Rode NT1. It has a smooth high end, but it is a very warm ("tubey") sound. I feel like it gets the job done quite well. It's under 200 balls. You just gotta get a good preamp, tube or otherwise, unless you have a fairly decent mixer. I also use old Shure and Audio Technica dynamics (which you should always have around). If you can, record them with both and mix and match results. But, again, the NT1 works perfect for me. (And the artists agree!)

oktava,Rode, Marshall...
... go to the store and demo em', see wich you prefer. A lot of it comes down to personal taste. If you go into the mic forum, there is a lot of posts about these mics, but you'll have to wade through some of the BS.

Use your ears is the best bet!
A slight step up is the Audio Technica at4030 and the Sure ksm 32

Back