hip hop recording

simoneau10

Iv been writin rhyms for as long as i can remember but iv gotten sick of using stuff that everyone else is doing, so i decided i wanted to create my own home studio. i really know nothing about it, i just know the little bits from recording at my buddys place, i was looking at the mpc2500 but i think that might be outta my price range a little bit, is there anything similar for cheaper? plus what monitors, mics and so forth would i need?

Have you looked at FL studio? You can download the demo which is fully functional and if you buy it's only $99. All you need then is a mic.. a Shure SM 57 costs about $99. Monitors will be your big expense... I've been using the KRK Rokits myself... check ebay and your local paper you might run into someone selling there gear. You can setup a simple studio for very little money... if you use your computer. Another good place to look for gear is pawn shops... especially the ones that specialize in music gear... I've found alot of stuff that way... and have kept my costs down.

Demi

Ok Ur starting where I started. I started with a $50 Microphone from Sam ash 2 years ago.... Its a USB Q1u Condenser Microphone. It plugs RIGHT into a USB slot and I made alotta good sounding stuff from it. Since its USB you don't need a Preamp.(BAM! You Just Saved $200 on a cheap one) (This will get you started)

Then you can simply download Adobe Audition.. Type in Free Adobe Audition or Cool Edit Pro into Google and look for a few minutes and youll find it.

THIS IS WHERE YOU START. Not where you should end.

Since then I've gotten Yamaha HS80s (Monitors) an M Audio Sputnik(Microphone), a MOTU Traveler Preamp(Preamp), and a DBX 266XL Compressor. Along with 2 24" Dual Monitor/Screens to mix on.

It takes time to build but starting with the Q1U I think youll be surprised it's not BAD to start with if your really low on money... Me buying the Q1U in the first place is what made me so interested In making my music myself and I finally built to what I have. Though I learn more EVERYDAY, I feel like I can make the best sounds around with my home studio at this point. And I'm not nearly as far in as i'd like to be!

download reaper. it actual is free without a crack. after it exspires it just loads longer. but 60 bucks for a liscense is worth it to me. pay for you stuff.

Good Advice...

Lets ask the right questions and you will get all the right answers.

1. wats yor bugdet look like to start this studio of yours

2. are you sure you wanna get into this part of the music field caus starting something and then giving up looks real bad on your character

3. if your low on bread then i would advis you to do like everyone does get a decent computer, a cheap interface (like an art usb interface) and a cheap program to record in (audacity is free). then download as many plugins for your new recording program as you can find.

4. wen your ready to upgrade from that we will all be here to help you but like god says know what your asking for wen you ask for it

alright well i got my old laptop with a fucked up screen so i just plugged a moniter into that, (goin to buy a better comp in time) i went and bought a mic that comes with cakewalk softwear, but thats shit for mixing, i was lookin downloading the fl demo to check it out, but i also heard band in a box would be pretty good too.. my budget..? whatever i can buy with my paycheck approx $600 every two weeks, so this paycheck i was goin to go get some recording moniters cause i have little shit speakers, and maybe buy fl studio?

alright well i got my old laptop with a fucked up screen so i just plugged a moniter into that, (goin to buy a better comp in time) i went and bought a mic that comes with cakewalk softwear, but thats shit for mixing, i was lookin downloading the fl demo to check it out, but i also heard band in a box would be pretty good too.. my budget..? whatever i can buy with my paycheck approx $600 every two weeks, so this paycheck i was goin to go get some recording moniters cause i have little shit speakers, and maybe buy fl studio?

With one swoop,

MXL 990 Condenser Mic - $60
KRK RP-5's monitors - $150 each - $300
Presonus Firebox or M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface- $199
Reaper DAW - free
All under $600. IDK How much FL is.

Should be well efficient enough for you to start off with. Interfaces come with Abletron Live recording software.

Whasup fam. I recommend whatever gets the job done for YOU. I have made beats on several different platforms (yamaha psr 540, FL studio, Triton Le, Korg TR, Triton Extreme, Acid Pro, Sonar, Protools, Reason). For me personally, i have found that the platform that now works best for my workflow of making beats is Reason. I absolutely love this joint! Just been on it now about three months and have learned so much. I been ripping the sounds from some of my hardware and making refills (you can do that with a program called samplit). I started out on a yamaha keyboard as a young kid, but as far as software goes i started out with just Fruity Loops and Acid in high school and i rocked it. What all will you be doing with your potential equipment? That'll help me answer your question a lil better homie.

like Tone said.. its really what you feel comfortable with.. I also used software before (got tired of it crashing) but i only use hardware for making tracks and recordings.. software only for mixing..

but to start you need to know exactly what you want to do.. record, produce, mix or what not..

everyone gave you some good program so check them out .. http://www.hitsquad.com/smm

i do think if you dont have your room treated you should be using a condensor mic (since they pick up everything in the room) ..JMO

a dynamic mic will be best (Shure SM57) thats what i use for location recordings (Clients Living Rooms).. it it works great for me..

I feel you on that crashing thing knot. That's why i'm diggin reason so much. That program runs so smooth and has never crashed. I like FL studio too, but that joint crashed on me too many times. I made plenty of bangers on it tho. I think my favorite piece of hardware, besides live instruments, is the triton extreme. We maxed ours out with custom sounds and run it thru our own little unique hardware processing channels. It sounds great! I guess we'll try the mpc one day. Haven't got around to it yet.

reaper is an amazing program. it takes about 30 secs to DL, 5 minutes to install and works whether or not you pay for a license.

Iv been writin rhyms for as long as i can remember but iv gotten sick of using stuff that everyone else is doing, so i decided i wanted to create my own home studio. i really know nothing about it, i just know the little bits from recording at my buddys place, i was looking at the mpc2500 but i think that might be outta my price range a little bit, is there anything similar for cheaper? plus what monitors, mics and so forth would i need?

If you wanna start out I would recommend this:

- Get a Mac
- Get Logic
- Get a Masterkeyboard
- Get good monitors (Yamaha NS-80 are good for hiphop on a budget)
- Get a good interface (like Digidesign Mbox, comes with ProTools LE btw).

If you got any questions, just PM me. :)

Tone must like reopening threads... first he waited 11 days then almost 2 months. Good job...

Ha Ha! Man, I just have been trying to catcfh up on what i've missed. I just started trying to get back on the forum more. I didn't even realize it was that old! LOL! wow. :D

Back