IS Hip-Hop going soft------ware????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cflow

Cubase, Pro-tools, Digi-performer, exetera exetera. . Is they're any hip-hop producers out their that use software programs to make music with a MOUSE?

WELL OF COURSE, I UTILIZE PRO TOOLS LE RECORDING SOFTWARE AND A PROGRAM CALLED TURAQ, FROM BRAM BROS YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE DEMO VERSION AT HITSQUAD.COM, HE ALSO HAS ONE CALLED HAMMER HEAD, THESE PROGRAM MAKES SOME PHAT ASS BEATS. PROGRAMS LIKE THESE UPS MY PRODUCTIVITY IN MY STUDIO.

IM OUT

CARTER

Funny you should mention that. I started making beats with the first release of hammerhead rhythm station software. But I found that it lacked a "real" feel so I chose the MPC and Ensoniq ASR-X. A lot of producers use Cubase VST or Emagic Logic. I use Cubase to record my tracks to hard disk from my digital mixer. The actual beat-making process I do with the ASR-X, MPC and trinity. A mouse can't replace drum pads and keys.

I disagree, there are some computer programs that can do it,!! But I have to admit that I use my Yamaha QY70 music seqencer and my Yamaha keyboards the most, the Bram Bros programs are more for beginners but you know and I know that they have computer programs that can sound just as good!! ( If you have the money and the experence). Ive been doing music for 14 years and Ive seen alot of changes. Mpc and Esoniq are ok, but theres BETTER!!!

Have a nice day...

Carter

Hey, maybe it's just me ,but when Im doing music , I dont want anything to do with PC's ,Mac's ( And for the OG'S) the Atari. External hardware I think is a must. More hands on ,and more control. The only thing I would want to use on a computer is the monitor for sequencer software.

P.S. Even if It is an ASR-X rather than a TRITON

The asr x is just ok. For around that price Id rather have an emu e5000, then put a phatt/orbit rom up in it( wich would cost yet more). The mpc is nice for sequencing, but gimme logic audio for sure. Then, top that off with an access virus.( i dont own any of these items mind you)

As far as samplers go gigasampler blows them all away. With its hd streaming you can use 1 gig. samples if youd like. Nuff' said there. Gigasampler does need its own cpu though...

I dont know if any of you guys have seen orion. Its cheap and supposedly kicks ass. Since I use a mac I cant run it. But you p.c.er's have no reason not to be using it.
www.sonic-syndicate.com
he he he, 2 versions $49 and $79. Leave your asrx in the closet he he...

Also theres reason by propellerheads. Its kind of a pain in the ass with a mouse for sure, but its a whole lotta tools for a lot less than an mpc.

quote:

Better??? Please enlighten us...

Trak, Jaybird answerd the question before I did, Orion is a great program, for the price, I just purchased Fruity Loops 3.0 and I think it is much better than a MPC, and it was only $100.00 Maybe you should go test drive some of this software before making comments on them,(not to sound mean, but you understand).

Have a nice day

Carter

I use fruity loops 3.0, sonic foudry acid, alot of loops disc, and andvil studio. And I have to say that I love how easy it is to make some beats that are bangen. But I am trying to hook up some keyboards and sound modules to my computer. So I can run it thru cakewalk pro. I am tired of having to rely on loops and I am ready to make my own shit. Anybody got a idea on what type of souncard, keyboard, and sound modules I can get that would make some professional beats but at a fraction of the cost?

Personally Id love to have a yamaha cs6x. Then Id expand it with 2 anx1 synth boards adding the analog emulation engine into the fray. And that famous korg analog modeling is actually using technology licenced from yamaha bear in mind.

There's also the emu mo'phatt and extreme lead modules. And recently emu has released versions of both in a workstation with a built in sequencer and drum pads + lotsa knobs.

For samplers, if your doing rhythms youd want multiple outputs, or killer built in efx. I just bought an emu esi 2000, wich was only $499. It can hold 128 megs of ram with 64 note polyphany. Now I need to fill it with ram and get the expansion board wich will give me built in efx, 10 outputs and spdif digital outs. If I was to do it over I think Id save for an emu e5000, or akai s5000. The e5000 uses emus new os, as do all their moduldes, wich means sample disks for the older esi os(like I have) arent as plentiful(though there are quite a few from emu). Maybe youd want an akai s3000, you can fined one used at www.digibid.com. The s5000 looks much better though.

Then of course theres the asrx. It has a BAD reputation because of a buggy os and buggy scsi transfer coupled with a cpu too weak for its sequencer to properly function. The mpc 2000 is cool for its sequencer, but its sampler is kind of weak. If your going for just the sampler even an esi 2000 is much better.

Theres also the korg electribes. Theres all those roland modules. Korg triton and trinity ...

Can someone compare MPC and ElectribeS please?

ElectribeS is much cheaper so I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

There's no way you could compare electribe's stuff with the MPC. The electribe is MUCH cheaper and for a reason; it comes nowhere near an MPC. I won't even begin to compare them coz that's an exercise in futility.

It basically comes down to; if you can afford the MPC then get it.

I am with robert jaybird here,

once you use gigasampler, there is no turning back.

I also believe that sooner or later, everything will be software based, because once you iron out the blue screens and bugs, software is just exponentially more powerful and upgradeable than hardware.

CyanJaguar said:
I am with robert jaybird here,

once you use gigasampler, there is no turning back.

I actually think giga is kind of wack for hiphop. (It's dope for other shit though.)

I say that because it is just takes too long to create GIG files out of my samples.

I have the Bob Clearmountain drums for giga though, and that is the dopest live-sounding drum sample library I've ever used.

peace
dave redeye

What do you guys think of that? I don't have money for MPC....so...read this

I will honestly tell you this. The KORG ES-1 sampler will goe down in history as being something that is a classic. It reminds me of the SP-1200 as far as painstakingly user-friendly. Very quick to make a beat! I'm talking about todays beats! It's looks are deceptive. Beyond what the eye can see is an extremely complex synthesis artchitecture. It sampling frequency is set at 32hz. Which is good to me and most people who like to sample at 22khz. So that is a step up. The sequencer is rather basic with a very interesting twist added. Man let's face it right now. You may have an MPC or Asr10 (not the X or X-pro) but I personally will tell you that this samplers accessability to sound synthesis parameters are light years ahead of both of the units (MPC/ASR10). You can alter your samples so easy it makes it very fum and inspirational to create music with. I guarantee that this one will be the hot one this year and to follow. It is not a toy but can sound rather toyish in the hands of the inexperienced folks. I will tell you that you can crank out a groove faster on this machine than any workstation sampler. They are tricks you can do with the part copy that is so sweet. As far as sound goes. It can sound very fat as your MPC or ASR10. It isn't velocity sensitive but it gives you control over every note independently....meaning you can event edit in volume. Wow!!! Think about it? Thought about it! It does things no other drum machine/workstation can do. Be gentle with motion and learning how to apply motion chaining sequences is probably the only thing to really master and after that it becomes a legendary sampler workstation. I have had near every damn sampler on the market (Rolandsensoniq etc..)and I know what it is all about. I currently have the E-MU ESI-2000, just bought and returned The ASRX- PRO (Garbage!) and now the ES-1. I thought the Asr X pro would be my all in one quck writing instrument but it's sequencer at 384ppq can't even count to four. Forget using it as a module...that not what I paid for. It didn't work so I got my money back. Guess what? The ES-1 is a killer on the road. It kicks ass right out of the box!! I can not understate it's new innovative features that even will make a pro say "Damn!" Trust me...a new area of writing on drum machines and samplerworkstations has arrived and I will be the first one to officially say that it is the new Korg ES-1. More later...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! PEDER you should be a stand up comedian. Thes Electribe S is Nowhere near an MPC or ASR-X. I've used an ES before and it's crap compared to the MPC, SP-1200 and ASR-X. As far as it being a classic, well... it's good to dream. Even the Linn LM-1 kicks it's ass.

Trust me...a new area of writing on drum machines and sampler\workstations has arrived [/B]

PEDER, I hate to break it to u but that "new era", it kinda started over 15 years ago. Seriously the es-1 is a cool DJ tool but it's no workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back