IS Hip-Hop going soft------ware????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaktor is one of the most flexable thing going. But, you can max it out, especially when run with a sequencer. So, I could just by a second cpu, and hook up a soundcard to it, use a control surface...but thats pricey. to run many soft synths as vsti in a sequencer with plug ins routing channels through exterior hardware to craft sonic variety is taxing on even cutting edge hardware. A few dedicated box'x are still needed, or at least helpful, I think. Try to get the power of a voice expanded nord modular, virus b, or even a micro q while your cpu is also trying to record that and do real time efx. Think youll get 20+ voices va, a full arrangement, Some large reverbs, good plug in compression,and a bunch of samples all at once? Sometimes its easier just to buy a synth to displace the burden off one machine to another. And of course if you want those analog filter sweeps, youll want an analog filter. Also I think many artists are wooed by the tweakability of software like reaktor, but Ive heard albums all done in reaktor, and they dont always sound that great. Even if the music is good and the sounds unique, its almost a bit washed out sometimes due to sacrificing sound quality(22khz anybody?) for cpu overhead.

I have found "chaining" of software synths to be extremely difficult, as is using multiple software synths MIDI through one CPU, regardless of its processing power, the use of a twin processor etc.
Latency is almost inevitable with heavy synth and MIDI applications, which can / will really screw your sounds.
We recently experimented with this on a very synth heavy track, first using a Mac running PT, and 2 software synths, plus various MIDI applications, all through the same system. One of the synths was the soft virus.
Second we split off the software synths and ran them on a different mac, then compared quality of sound by ear and by measuring.
Third we exchanged soft virus for hard virus.
Fourth we clocked everything with an SSG192 masterclock instead of the system software's generic timing.

Every step the sound and feel of the track improved (most with the fourth step). However, have to say that there is virtually no difference in the sound of hard vs soft in isolation.

Personally I find working with software synths very difficult - in exactly the same way as mixing with a mouse is very much second to mixing through a console or controller.

hey jaybird i personally wouldnt do a whole album with just one sound source. thats not me. i would rather hit several sources ie midi,wav samples,live instruments and soft synths. thats just ME i dont know what anyone else is doing. i think reason is very innovative. they laid it out like a real studio rack and you can even press the tab and see the back of it. for people who are just getting involved in recording and they have a pc i would recommend it. its laid out in front of em. i went to a home studio near me and the guy has a lil bit of equipment. he has a proteus,mpc,vs840,dbx compressor/gate,midi controller,xp50 and some sort of berhinger fx unit. anyway he has been recording for like 5 years now and he didnt know what a compressor was or how to operate it. i had to go to his spot and show him. he had a shure 58 mic but sold it to me for $20 bucks. i have several mics in my spot and i figured one more wouldnt hurt. he used octavia mics on his new stuff. im trying to get him to experiment and run his bass sounds through a gate. he is SCARED. are people really afraid to try new things? i mean this isnt like going FAGGOT. this isnt trying sick stuff. this is being creative.

ya know he said he is actually SCARED to use a computer for recording? he purchased a pc and i dumped A LOT of music programs on his pc. he couldnt take it. he yanked off the programs and took the pc back. he purchased that vs840 instead. so i guess software didnt work for him. he said he "CANT learn the shit". those were his exact words. i told him technology is advancing. ya know i had to persuade him from using mini disc and to start mixing down to cd. some people just arent creative. or they are scared of pc's and macs. me i feel natural in the environment. i used to draw by hand. now i draw with "shop" 3dmax, fractel and other applications. i just dont like living in FEAR of a machine. IGNORANCE IS TRULY BLISS..........

czar

ps im takin a vacation to idaho. all you LOSERS stay off my dick while im away. YOU KNOW WHO U R!!!!!! ROFL

[hello

who ever heard of the akai s 950, the studio 440 (sequential)
and atari of course
i like it, only it's a little more difficult to use
it's more ruff, i guess it's more hip hop
remember the intro of the first album of jeru the damaja!
that's a sp1200 drum beat compressed by a very bad machine
I love the sound, so I stick to it
peace peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back