IS Hip-Hop going soft------ware????

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you don't have money for mpc,

get gigasampler.

As far as I know, a sampler is judged by the quality of the samples you have, and gigassmpler has the best samples you can find.

And its as easy as using a sound module

I use am Akia s2000(I think the operating system sucks, but I edit all my samples in wavelab anyways). W/ an old, old version of elogic, a kord x5d keyboard as a controller, and a roland jv1010( Not a reccomended module in my opinion, but some decent sounds).

I may be missing something, but I just don't see the point in buying a mpc...Really, what can someone do with an mpc that you can't do easier with a lower end sampler(s2000) and some sequencing software. Add a good wave editor and skys the limmit!

Like I said mabey I'm missing something, and if I am, please let me know.

CyanJaguar,
JV1010
" Not a reccomended module in my opinion, but some decent sounds".

I like the module and for the price, I think it was worth the money. It has a lot of sounds! but I think when I bought it I was trying to compare it to the trinity rack mount and it isn't of the same calibur. If I had it to do over again I would have saved my money, and spent the extra for a trinity, or a planet phatt(this was almost 2 years ago)

I am mostly disappointed with the modules drum kits( a roland without a big 808 bass doesn't make sense to me). But I make my own sample kits for drums now, and I think using your own kits works better, for me atleast, than any module.

Also, there is only one bassline synth sound that I like in this module. All the others just aren't hitting to me.

Last edited:
eclips1 said:
CyanJaguar,
JV1010

I am mostly disappointed with the modules drum kits( a roland without a big 808 bass doesn't make sense to me). But I make my own sample kits for drums now, and I think using your own kits works better, for me atleast, than any module.

Also, there is only one bassline synth sound that I like in this module. All the others just aren't hitting to me.
took the words right out of my mouth

CyanJaguar said:
are you talking about patch no 144 in guitar/bass

that one will really rattle the windows

That's the one!! I mix that sub bass with another more taimed bass sound and come up with some crucial basslines.

what I meant was :

you create your own drumkits. Do you creat them with the roland jv1010 samples? or were you talking about sampling your own stuff.

The question I was asking was: if you have put a tight drumkit together on the roland, can you save it in sounddiver format and share it with me?

I don't have the faintest idea when it comes to making sounds.

peace

I don't use the roland to make my drum kits. Truth be told, I didn't know I could make kits w/ the jv1010. I sample one hits from sample cds, different albums, just about anything I can get my hands on. I'll rip the sounds to my hard drive, edit them(if needed) and sample them into my s2000. The s2000 is were I make my programs. I'm not sure how I can share these with you?

my opinion

REASON is excellent. so is REAKTOR. to run good samples and sounds on the pc the sound card should be a decent sounding one. the pc should also have a large amount of ram and a decent processor. i run those two programs along with unity, rebirth, acid and just about every program you can think of. i get software for FREE! not from the net either! :P i run everything except for pro tools and paris. my pc is 475mhz with an amd k6 2(sux huh)and 376mb of ram with a dio 2448 sound card. i use sounds from the pc or from my roland dr.660 or from my fully expanded xp60. the hip hop card is nice and the drum kits i MAKE are cool. i NEVER use pre sets. that is a SIN. use a pre set and tweek it. just dont use a pre set....

anyhow i think software is making a MAJOR impact on hip hop. however you will ALWAYS have vintage equipment and hardware. everyone wants those "classic" moog and 808 sounds. its on the user to be creative and not lazy with the sounds. i have no problem with a producer using samples. thats what hip hop and rap was FOUNDED on. however you should take it to the next level. experiment and see what you can get going. i do music but its not the average RAP. i dont listen to a lot of rap because i dont want there stuff determining MY sound. i do what i want. i dont make beats to sound like mannie fresh or timbaland. i make beats for the listener. so they can think they are going to........HELL!!!!! my own style in a sick bizarre way.........

to me and this is my opinion of course. a person who has a pc is a FOOL for using an mpc. thats just my opinion. the mpc has some cool sounds. however lets take the price of a mpc compared to a korg xp60 or proteus with a sequencer proram such as cakewalk:

mpc is $1200-$1400 stock

a roland xp60 or korg stock $1200-$1400

a proteus $800-$900 stock

which do you get the most BANG for?

a roland or korg with cakewalk will give you far more creative power than a mpc fully blown.

a proteus with cakewalk AND a midi controller(optional) will give you more creative power than an mpc.

do the math.

as far as specs are concerned look at the mpc. 32 voices compared to 64 or maybe 128 with these other machines.

16 bit mpc ? try the pc at 24 bit

just something to think about. get the most bang for your buck.

czar

Re: my opinion

Originally posted by czar of bizarre: "the drum kits i MAKE are cool. i NEVER use pre sets. that is a SIN. use a pre set and tweek it. just dont use a pre set...."

Confusion reigns - hey czar, you must be the shit! Post an MP3, so we can listen ...................

has anyone on here ever called guitar center and were placed on HOLD? you ever heard that message where the guy says to never use presets because 10,000 people have that same piece of gear? its very interesting. have any of you ever tweaked the 808 on the dr660? ever mess with the nuance or decay settings? ever edit a sound on the xp60 and store it as a user? man i have the hip hop card for the xp60. they have a patch on where this one guy says "GOOD EVENING LADIES AND GENTLEMEN". the guy sounds like sjoko. 100%GAY!!!!! i placed my own drum sounds on it.

hey sjoko when i finish dumping my stuff on reel you can listen to it ok? when i send the finished work so ascap can have it you can hear it. when i send the product to the us copyrights office you can get it. just wait........patience is a virtue. however i think i might be able to squeeze a lil something in for your ears. so you know what? im going to make a song this weekend DISSING YOU. im also gonna make an account on mp3.cpm and post it there. would you like that? you must take sounds just as you get em. dont tweek em dont do anything. i heard a song that was released by some local rapper and he had the "dustbunnies" patch in the song. they didnt tweek it and i knew the sound when i heard it because i have the same sound on my keyboard. so if YOU dont understand the statement i made START TWEAKING YOUR BRAIN!!!

czar

ps if you wanna hear some work i have done check out some of the stuff on www.groundbasics.com. check out some stuff from the funky aztecs (mercury music). check out the upcoming HERESY album. check out the young d boyz especially bug bops stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back