Harddrive???

Trumpspade said:
What model do you have Change?
I'm about to incorporate my laptop into my setup, just not sure where or how. I own a pretty good one that I need to utilize (Since I have it) Just want to get it up to specs, I figure it'll be less wear and tear on my pc. Got it from a Crackhead last year, still in the box. It's a Dell E1705 loaded. Think that'll work?
yes. get an network hub (better yet: http://tinyurl.com/yrm5gl ) and connect your desktop and laptop on a home network. if nothing else, your lappy will be good for network storage.

Trumpspade said:
I think that ws the 11th Crack Commandment! :confused:

One thing I learned Fiev is to Liason with your local Crackheads, they'll save you a bundle. (Keep a pocket full of dimes and nickels.....)

They're up all night, so they see everything. (But you gotta watch them, they never seem to remember nor see themselves doing anything........)

I liason with the crack dealers. Then you can control the crackheads.

Use only 7200rpm drives. 5400rpm is too slow to transfer data like said. You need usB 2.0 NOT 1.1. Drives are way lower in price then they used to be.

If you don't have usb 2.0 get a new card or use firewire.

And if you really want to save a lot of data and use drives for clients and projects, try removable drive bays. I use it a lot and when I need more space, I just buy a single hard drive by it self and install it in the drive enclosure. This also works good for video projects.

Click here

Also, this option is good for back up. Try to back up your stuff every week and never save your stuff on the main host drive.

Change of POETS said:
I've got a Western Digital MyBook 250GB Drive.

Works perfect for storing audio sessions. I don't use it for any programs, just holding data. It's more than efficient.

Is there an issue using it for programs? I once used my Laptop for wireless web access from my pillow. But I like I said, I want to keep it in the studio now and free from web access. So I was thinking of using a hardrive dedicated to studio work only.......

Trumpspade said:
Is there an issue using it for programs? I once used my Laptop for wireless web access from my pillow. But I like I said, I want to keep it in the studio now and free from web access. So I was thinking of using a hardrive dedicated to studio work only.......

Theoretically you should be able to use it for programs, but I wouldn't recommend it. Especially for USB drives. For example, you have Pro Tools running off an External on usb's bandwidth (saying we are recording), you have program data streaming back and forth writing, reading, and then you got actual recordings coming through, etc, you might start getting some issues when you start using up bandwidth.

Mindset said:
Theoretically you should be able to use it for programs, but I wouldn't recommend it. Especially for USB drives. For example, you have Pro Tools running off an External on usb's bandwidth (saying we are recording), you have program data streaming back and forth writing, reading, and then you got actual recordings coming through, etc, you might start getting some issues when you start using up bandwidth.

ahhhhhh............
I see!
So I think I will clean up my desktop a bit. I have Sonar but I am looking into protools. The only software that I am using at the time is Sonar, Reason, FL, Wavelab, and I am looking for some other good to have plugins....... I think I will use the laptop as stated for storage. (And maybe for some editing on the fly...............) Thanks for clearing that up Mindset! You're my Hero!!!
Did you get anything done with that Mac to the world yet? Man, my stuff still is NOT together. (Maybe this weekend!) :D

we finished 3 other songs since then lol. Got a lot going on. Usually around this time of the year till the end of July.

Back