Harddrive???

Call Me Cell

just wanna see where ya'lls heads are... i'm in the market for a new harddisk.. just wondering if i should go with the 160gig 5400rpm drive, or sacrifice the space and go for speed in the 100gig 7200rpm drive?? this upgrade will be for my main drive in my laptop. now i think i already know the answer.. GO FOR THE FASTER DRIVE.. but sometimes that extra 60gigs of space tempts me... what would ya'll do?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

yeah i have a secondary hard drive( external). i do all of my audio work on my main drive. i've been doing it like this for years with no problems other than running outta space, mainly because i share my audio work with everyday computer tasks (downloads i don't need :rolleyes: ) but i think i will go for the faster drive just because audio sometimes is unforgiving especially when recording. i'll just have to be a little more responsible in the future when it comes to backing up my data( ex. transferring data from the main drive to the extenal disk) . ( so i won't be upgrading harddrives every two years!!!)

Use the secondary drive as an archive for your sessions that you don't need to pull up every day. Then copy those same sessions onto dvd's, thumb drives etc, and delete em out of the hard drive, so you won't run out of space as fast.

I do all my recording and audio work on my external 250gb 7200RPM drive. There's no lag at all, and I haven't had any problems.

Change of POETS said:
I do all my recording and audio work on my external 250gb 7200RPM drive. There's no lag at all, and I haven't had any problems.

is that external drive usb or firewire?? i know firewire gives a better performance than usb. i don't have a firewire port though...i'd have to buy an adapter in order to use firewire...

Mindset

that's a real good idea.. i haven't really been doing that so i'll have to start!!! thanks for the feedback fam..much luv for ya'll :D :D

Can't really go wrong with a usb drive....even if it's just the usb sleeve with an internal hard drive. I use the sleeve with an internal 250 gb for tracks and beats. That way I can transport whatever I need whereever I need it with no problems at all.

Change of POETS said:

What model do you have Change?
I'm about to incorporate my laptop into my setup, just not sure where or how. I own a pretty good one that I need to utilize (Since I have it) Just want to get it up to specs, I figure it'll be less wear and tear on my pc. Got it from a Crackhead last year, still in the box. It's a Dell E1705 loaded. Think that'll work?

I too am on the external 7200 usb drive team!!
Works perfectly for me, it's best to write to a different disk than is running your programs as it is sitting waiting for audio write and not being used for operating system/program writes.

firewire isn't faster than USB 2.0. 400 compared to 480 mbps.

i have a 250GB Western Digital Caviar drive. never a single problem. i use it for archiving TV shows, movies, and music.

drive prices have really come down in the past year. check Tiger Direct too, they seem to have been having quite a few good sales. 500GB drives for $100. grab an enclosure w/ USB and/or firewire while you're at it for about $30-50.

Firewire uses dedicated bus. USB shares the bandwidth with the PCI bus. Theoretically USB 2.0 goes 480Mb/s but never really gets that high. Firewire 400/800 tend to get near there maximums easily. More firewire devices installed, won't slow em down (except for cpu usage, but same as USB).

http://www.newegg.com

I suggest getting a drive that supports both USB & Firewire. Some support the eSata too. Would be wise to have both connections.

BillyBo said:
firewire isn't faster than USB 2.0. 400 compared to 480 mbps.

i have a 250GB Western Digital Caviar drive. never a single problem. i use it for archiving TV shows, movies, and music.

drive prices have really come down in the past year. check Tiger Direct too, they seem to have been having quite a few good sales. 500GB drives for $100. grab an enclosure w/ USB and/or firewire while you're at it for about $30-50.

Man I must have missed that...I should probably get a 500...for under 100. :D

Trumpspade said:
I'm about to incorporate my laptop into my setup, just not sure where or how. I own a pretty good one that I need to utilize (Since I have it) Just want to get it up to specs, I figure it'll be less wear and tear on my pc. Got it from a Crackhead last year, still in the box. It's a Dell E1705 loaded. Think that'll work?

The crackhead giveth and the crackhead taketh away...go figure.

Trumpspade said:
I've got a Western Digital MyBook 250GB Drive.

Works perfect for storing audio sessions. I don't use it for any programs, just holding data. It's more than efficient.

DesertEase said:
yes that will deff work trump and uh when u gonna sell me that mpc u got over there??

You're a funny cat Ease.........I haven't banged on the 2500 in about 3 or 4 months. It's upstairs in the box now, not even hooked up :mad:
I moved about 3 weeks ago, so my whole setup is at a standstill because I want it setup properly, and not like the way I had it. (Just throwing things in the chain, just because I obtained it.)
But I hope to have most of my pieces, including the MPC, hooked up by the end of the month. (You have a good memory, even if it is for a hustler sake :D :D :D )

Fieva said:
The crackhead giveth and the crackhead taketh away...go figure.

I think that ws the 11th Crack Commandment! :confused:

One thing I learned Fiev is to Liason with your local Crackheads, they'll save you a bundle. (Keep a pocket full of dimes and nickels.....)

They're up all night, so they see everything. (But you gotta watch them, they never seem to remember nor see themselves doing anything........)

Back