Gear Advice

built2last18

I would like to know opinions on The Proteus 2000, JV 1080, and the XV 3080. I am looking for a sound module that will be my main base module. This module should be suited for Street music: R&B/Hip Hop, and MOST OF ALL it should be pretty easy to use with midi, with very quality now street and Urban sounds.

Plain in simple which of those 3 modules is the best rack to have if you could only have one to use on artist such as: Jill Scott, DeAngelo, Roots, JOE, Lauren Hill, Ericka Badu, and De La Sol.
Thanks to all who respond.

Well, if you want do basslines, for that style is almost allways bass played live. Get yourself a 100$ bass and you'll work something out. Also, you could try programming basslines with simple midi sounds and afterwards in studio replacing them with live bass played by skilled bass player (if you can't play well enough).

Speaking of D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Jill Scot, Lauryn Hill and other artists with that "organic" sound, you'll need some knowledge in composing and music theory. I'ts much more complex then Wu, Dre or Oukast! (respect to 'em, no diss at all)

I am a fan of making my own sound programs, so I think the best sound module you can get is a sampler. Other than that the next module I plan to get is the Trinity rack. I debated between the Trinity, the Mo phatt, or, if I could find one, the Planet Phatt. I don't know much about the modules you mentioned, but I do have the JV1010 and I think overall, it is a disappointment.

Also, is it just me, or does Roland make some cheap 1/4" outputs. Every Roland I've ever had except the JV1010, the 1/4" outs have gone bad.

proteus, 1080,3080

Proteus -- has crisp sounds for R&B/Hip, but the over all, not every element that you may need for what you want --- but it is hot

JV1080 -- excellent piece, works well with midi ( I really dont know a synth that doesnt work well) anyway -- this is affordable and usable with all the sounds you need --- Jazzy Jeff used it on Jill Scott's album - also you can expand it with cards to add on extra sounds, I think 2 cards

XV3080 - exact same as 1080, but more sounds, also allows additional cards to be added. If I'm not mistaken it has a wave sampler or is it the 5080 (darn! scratchin my head) anyway
the ROLANDS are more useful in the sound you want, that is quote un quote NOW ---

The Trinity Rack is a very nice crisp sounding module too, also has great bass sounds -- I kill that machine, but I also have a PLANET PHATT, 1080 also. So it's really how you freak it (playing wise)

If you nice on the chords/keys, it dont matter, hell RODNEY JERKINS still uses an MPC and a 1080 to do most of his joints
that make hits NOW

I've heard many praises of emu's mo phatt module. I think that would be well suited for your work. But, overall Roland sounds absolutey murder emu's. The best module overall from your list is the xv 3080. The emu mo phatt has 32 megs of sampled sounds, the jv 1080 has 8 megs, the xv 3080 has a whopping 64 megs of sounds. Also, it can do 128 voices, it sounds magnificent. Personally I couldnt tell you what to get, and honestly the stuff I lean towards is different so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Back