FL Studio suggestion for my kid?

sonofabeach

My 13 year old son has been making beats for quite some time on his PS3 Little Big Planet.
I'm a 41 year old school hip hop head and used to program beats on drum machines (SP1200 & ASR-10) so making beats on a computer is a different world to me. The stuff I hear from him leads me to think he could be really good at it.
He keeps asking me to download Fruity Loops so he can make better beats.
The beats he make on LBP are made with graphs and boxes much like FL Studio but I'm sure FL Studio is much more intricate.
He's really smart at this type of stuff and I'm sure he'll pick up on it quick but I just don't want him to be overwelmed too much at first.

My question is, which version would be best for him as a beginner?

Shoot, that's hard to say. Not to say that this is cheap, but the best version of FL Studio is like, $250? That comes with some REALLY great synths (I love Sytrus an especially large amount) and is full featured.
Honestly, FL Studio is fantastic for making beats. I'd really suggest getting the full version that includes all the synths and whatnot.

Thanks for replying Wrenchey. $250 is steep for me right now, escpecially since he told me it was free.
I'm gonna read more into it and get some more info before I make a move.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
$250 is steep for me right now, escpecially since he told me it was free.

LMAO! That is exactly how my kid got me too. $250 later, +monitors, interface, keyboard. He has about $1,100 into his setup now. He creates some really cool stuff, and it keeps him off XBOX Live. It also keeps him from hibernating in his bedroom (made him setup his audio gear in living room so I don't have to hear it through the bedroom wall).

Now, if I could just get him to pull his damn pants up....

You can get it on the iPhone/iPad for less then 20 dollars .. let that be a starting point for him.. and then move on from there if he keeps up his intrests

When I started I was using FL Studio version 9.3. It is easy to learn and your son will begin making sick beats fast. I recommend giving him FL Studio version 9 or maybe version 10.

If you're a little computer savvy you can find a torrent of FL. I got the FL 8 or 9 for a friend of mine a while back.

You can also get the full version of the Ableton 9 Suite free for thirty days. That should be enough to see if your kid is going to be interested or not. Ableton is pretty popular for that genre of music. I'd still suggest either piano or guitar lessons for the young man,

Im pretty sure there's also a lighter version for about $99. I think you can also upgrade later. its a great investment plus theres so many tutorials online for beginners to get started!

Back