equipment sugestions

Dj Asis

what the top quality equipment i need, any price range, ive already gone the pc route of producing but i wanna move onto some real equipment, i just want to know what to get and what not to get, im serious and i think im ready for some real shit, so holla at me and make some suggestion on what i need and what not peace...

also looked at some korg keyboards (trinton, trinity) and akai (mpc2000xl) which is better?

help me out!!!

the trinity and the triton have some great sounds. if you can find it, get a TR Rack which is basically a trinity in a rack, and then a controller for it. umm, the novation bass station might be cool, the MPC2000 is excellent,especially for hip hop. the EMU Mo Phatt is great for wierd sounds.what soundcard have you got. if you've got a multiple out card, get a nice desk. make sure you get a desk with as many channels as possible, cus as your keyboard collection grows, you will need more channels. if you get samplers, some have multiple outputs which can take up a lot of channels on your desk. if you can afford it, a Mackie D8B (about $12,000)is superb for dance music. i have two in my dance studio and they are amazing. if thats too expensive and you're looking towards the cheaper mixers, just look for something automated cus it helps for dance music. the yamaha 01v is a cheap, great automated mixer with lots of digital options.
feel free to mail me if you like.

-Romesh
Long Wave Studio

A controller keyboard with the trinity rack mount, and sequencing software(I use elogic), will serve you better then getting a trinity and it'll cost less. Also, getting a decent multi timbral sampler(I use Akia s2000) will save you money instead of getting an MPC, and you can do more w/ it( coupled w/ some sequencing software ).

There is tons of multi tracking software for you to choose from(I'm only farmiliar w/ Vegas which I like). You will have to do some research. The most important component in a DAW is the AD/DA converters in your sound card, so get a nice one. The Delta 1010 is what I use and it has pretty good AD/DA converters, also 8 1/4" ins and outs w/ 1 digital in and out. You will also need a mixer, which you can mix on or I use mine primarily for the preamps and routing capabilities. Throw in some decent wave editing software and sky's the limit!

You want (in no particular order):
a sequencer
a sampler
a (virtual) analog synth
a mic or two.
a preamp.
a stereo compressor

That should really do it.

Sequencer/sampler: MPC2000XL (I'm still lloking for good sequencer software, and let me tell you: There is none, so I still have an MPC in the top of my to-buy list.)
Synth: a matter of taste. I use the Clavia Nord Modular.
Mic: One NTsomething (for sampling stuff and recording acoustic instuments) and one SM57 (So your friends can rap and play eclectric guitar).
Preamp: Don't know. There is so many. Get a stereo one, though.
Compressor: RNC

regebro said:
Sequencer/sampler: MPC2000XL (I'm still lloking for good sequencer software, and let me tell you: There is none, so I still have an MPC in the top of my to-buy list.)

there isnt a good software sequencer? hmmmmm strange. last i checked logic platinum ,pro audio and cubase were excellent. can you have unlimited midi tracks with an mpc? can you have 96 or more audio tracks with an mpc? can you move a CHUNK of info in less than one second with an mpc? you can click and drag withi it huh? you can look at a big 17 inch screen huh? is that what you can do with an mpc? can you use a gang load of fx and plug ins with an mpc? man........someone is screwed...just my opinion

czar

ps i hope you have fun looking at the small lcd screen during late night recording sessions.

whether your computer will play back all 96 tracks with great sync is another thing.... and the cubase mixing isn't all that great, so mixing 96 tracks on a litttle computer screen isn't easy.

cubase is great, but for pro's, it's suited for midi. i still use Atari ST's with Cubase for midi! hehe.

my pc is an amd k6 475mhz and 376mb of ram. i have NEVER had a crash dealing with audio OR midi. i have never tried 96 tracks. however i have used 24 or more in acid ,cubase and sampletude 2496. every thing was rock solid. no latency issues no gaps. adjust the buffers and POW!

btw mixing on a 17 inch monitor can be easy. so can sequencing. compare sequencing on a 17 inch monitor to a lcd screen no larger than the palm of your hand.......

as far as mixing i sequence with the pc and get a rough mix. when i get it in the ball park i take it to another studio and drop it on one inch reel. mixed on two tascam 24 track machines.

im out

czar

ps who said ANYTHING about MIXING in cubase? my response was one that had to deal with SEQUENCING.
hmmmmmmmmmm

COB

MPC's are good for the hands on aspect of music production (tapping the pads, etc), plus some people don't like to use a mouse. :)

However, I prefer to use do all of my production on my PC, but that is just my preference. :D.

Peace out...

DJ SPIN

sleep

My set-up includes:E-mu SP-1200 ,Korg Triton,Akai S-20,Mackie 1402vlz mixing board,Fostex FD-4 recorder,Fostex cr300 CD recorder,Gemini PT-2000 turntables with Gemini scratchmaster mixer,TC Electronics Finalizer plus,Presonis MP-20 mic pre,Lexicon MPX100 effects processor,Alesis RA-100 amp and Alesis monitor ones,Kenwood dual cassette recorder.A shit load of records cd`s and tapes for samples.Shure sm-57,Shure SM-57 Beta.
And all I do is Hip-Hop,actually that`s all I know,have recorded R&B but they brought in their own track.Anybody got any idea`s for some other things I might enjoy?Feel free.Peace!

I am not trying to diss, but why would you purchase???

Some Gemini turntables and a Gemini mixer????

Again, I mean no disrespect. :)

spin

czar oif bizarre,

i was talkin about mixing 96 tracks of audio, because you were saying "can you have 96 tracks of audio with an mpc". it's not easy with cubase to have 96 faders right infront of you, EVEN on a 17" screen. i very muchdoubt your compu would play the 96 tracks anyway. there's a lot of difference between 24 tracks.. and 96...

so you drop each channel onto reel?

hey i also dont mean to diss but gemini?
there is a lot better decks & mixers then gemini
personally i have sl1200's & a pionerr djm-500 mixer
no disrespect man just having my say

dont you find the motor on the gemini decks a 'lil weak?

no disrespect meant & keep on mixing man :)
luke

yep im droppin each track on seperate channels on 24 track 1 inch reel. i wanted 2 inch but it was $200-$300 each reel and i needed like 3 or 4 reels. i didnt have the loot. i was going to mix on the pc and just drop two channels on the reel. however the engineer wants me to keep the stuff seperate. it sounds 1000000000000000 times better that way. however we ran into trouble not to long ago with sync issues. hopefully we will be back rolling soon. the engineer has FRESH ears. he said my stuff sounds great as is but he can take it a step further. thats what i NEEDED to hear. an outsider looking in who has skills and a clean ear. i like working with people who will tell me if my stuff sux or if it is cool. i dont deal with YES MEN.

i dont like the all digital sound. it sounds to harsh. thats just my opinion. i want a nice FAT round sound. so i figured digital analog digital would get me that sound. thats what ed kramer recommends. he was interviewed in electronic musician not to long ago and he recommended doing that. im starting to see a lot more articles on this digital analog digital sound.

i experiment a lot. i do a lot of crazy stuff when i record. im bizarre. however people like it and i went to a music seminar recently and received GREAT feedback.

SLEEP a good condenser mic is recommended. try an akg c1000. operates on phantom power or 9 volt. as far as turntables are concerned my friend boogie uses technics. i dont know what model or what kind of mixer. when he scratched on 1 of my songs i wasnt lookin for that. i was listening to the scratches and how it blendid so well with the music. i recorded the scratchs dry and then added a delay effect on the vs machine. it came out sounding nice and fat. actually it sounded DEMONIC. just the sound i was looking for!!!! it made the song cohesive.

some people dont recommend certain products. i myself would never use a casio keyboard. lol. however you MUST work with what YOU have. you can have a 76985269797297549479719549754975 channel SSL CONSOLE (if such a thing exists). with 9000000000 syths or whatever. you can have a one million dollar set up with a one penny sound. its on YOU.

peace

czar

I know I know

Yes I know but when I started out I had Gemini please forgive me but my budget has only permited me to concentrate on big things and I have a friend that comes over and laces shit with his 1200`s so please stop reminding me.Anyway the rest of the equipment is basically what I use,I`m refering to the Triton and the SP-1200 for the most part.Thanks for everyones input I wil check into that mic thanks!

i got a gemini pt2000 and it has an ok motor,,.
i had cheaper gemini tables and those motors were weak.Dont get me wrong here,, id much rather have 1200s but my budget didt allow it. 300.00 vs 500.00
but my turntable has nice pick up . instant. but most geminis do suck. just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by czar of bizarre
there isnt a good software sequencer? hmmmmm strange. last i checked logic platinum ,pro audio and cubase were excellent.

No, they totally suck for what I want to do. They aren't pattern based, which not only breaks my line of thought, it also makes it impossible to improvise live. And if Cubase is "excellent" then the requirements for "excellent" is low indeed. Using that software is a pain. You have to FIGHT the software and struggle with it to make it do what you want. It's quite noticable that its an very old piece of software with loads of features patched on during many years.

With the MPC2000XL sequencer you can, while running, select which pattern should be running and you can turn on and off tracks while running. This is the lowest basic requirement I have for a sequencer, for as far as I'm concenrned a sequencer without these features is useless live. I have yet to find one PC sequencer that does this.

If you want a midi replacement for a tape recorder, fine. I already have a tape recorder and do not need a midi replacement for it. I need a sequencer and I want to do things with it I can't do with tape.

"They aren't pattern based, which not only breaks my line of thought, it also makes it impossible to improvise live."

ok let me get this striaght. are you saying with those programs you cant get the feel of LIVE music? are you saying you cant bridge, break down,chorus etc etc? ilets say you have 16 bars on the mpc. guitar parts for the first 4 bars. piano and guitar for the next 4. lead, piano and DIFFERENT guitars for the next 4 and a tempo change and wah guitar,piano and lead for the last 4. you can do that with a pc sequencer. you should here my stuff bro. i sequenced using cubase and the song is NOT repetitive. i NEVER have the same parts playing in my songs. if hook 1 has guitars and pianos and strings hook 2 might have TWO guitars both panned but without any strings or pianos. see i dont do the traditional loopy doop thing. just wait till i finish my album and you hear the tracks. you will SWEAR the entire album is live. some of it is some of it isnt.

you said this:

"With the MPC2000XL sequencer you can, while running, select which pattern should be running and you can turn on and off tracks while running. This is the lowest basic requirement I have for a sequencer, for as far as I'm concenrned a sequencer without these features is useless live. I have yet to find one PC sequencer that does this. "

with those programs you DONT need to turn off the patterns and mute tracks. thats the SAME as looping a song for five minutes and punching in and out on the track board. you can sequence like that. however who wants to do that? who wants to even have to press mute or turn a nob?

my midi stuff on the xp can be looped for 4 6 or 8. i can load it in cubase and start cutting and pasting. setting up my intro verse chorus verse etc etc etc. EACH PART SOUNDING UNIQUE AND DIFFERENT FROM WHAT HAS BEEN PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!

say i work with the drums. i will cut and paste them and "PUNCHOUT" of ALL the drums right before the hook. however when verse 2 starts i may just have hi hats and kick drum. no MUTING. its the EXACT SAME THING ONLY YOUR LAYING OUT THE WHOLE SONG. IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE TO MAKE DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF THE SAME SONG IN A MATTER OF MINUTES. just pasting AND NOT PASTING IN CERTAIN SPOTS.

btw my cubase works PERFECT. never crashed. no sync issues. are you computer literate? maybe thats the problem.

with those programs you make your own patterns try fruityloops.

as far as a tape machine goes i only need tape to dump my all digital tracks on. as far as im concerned i have never seen ANYONE sequence live with a PC. so in closing i think its a matter of you NOT knowing HOW to use the program to do what YOU want it to do. i also dont know of LIVE players who sequence live from an mpc. they PLAY LIVE. or may trigger from another keyboard. you dont see parliment funkadelic or stone temple pilots sequencing LIVE with an mpc.........go figure

czar.

ps never mind my caps. they are used to denote "BOLD" lettering to strees importance.

Originally posted by czar of bizarre
ok let me get this striaght. are you saying with those programs you cant get the feel of LIVE music?

No, I'm saying that with a song that starts at the beginning and stops at the end its impossible to change this when playing live. I need to select patterns and turn and and off channels when I play live. Play a bit with an MC-303 or something similar you'll understand what I'm talking about. Or the demo of ReBirth should do.

i sequenced using cubase and the song is NOT repetitive. i NEVER have the same parts playing in my songs.

Well, good for you. But I WANT the same parts playing in my song. I NEED repetetiveness. You are using the sequencer as if it was a tape recorder. As I mentioned, I already got one, and hence, I don't need a sequencer to replace it.

see i dont do the traditional loopy doop thing.

See, I do.

however who wants to do that? who wants to even have to press mute or turn a nob?

I am at a complete loss here. I'm shocked. What on earth made you ask such a question?

btw my cubase works PERFECT. never crashed. no sync issues. are you computer literate? maybe thats the problem.

I'm a professional computer programmer, with 20 years of experience of computers. You don't know me, so I wouldn't expect you to know this, but this is how it is: It may be that the reason I disagree with you is because of lack of knowledge, but trust me on this: It's rarely from my part... :)

with those programs you make your own patterns try fruityloops.

I have.

so in closing i think its a matter of you NOT knowing HOW to use the program to do what YOU want it to do.

Of course. My point was that it's HARD to figure out how to make it do what I want. And when I after a couple of hours of work with a program still hasn't even gotten then base of a song down, then that program is hindering me in making music, not helping.

i also dont know of LIVE players who sequence live from an mpc.

Time to start learning, then...

regebro said:
"No, I'm saying that with a song that starts at the beginning and stops at the end its impossible to change this when playing live. I need to select patterns and turn and and off channels when I play live. Play a bit with an MC-303 or something similar you'll understand what I'm talking about. Or the demo of ReBirth should do."

if you dont want the song to start and stop make a long song with changing parts throughout the entire song. btw i get ALL software for FREE. i have the legit version of rebirth never used it. the korg KARMA might be up your ally. its a new synth and it has the SAME sound engine as the triton.

"Well, good for you. But I WANT the same parts playing in my song. I NEED repetetiveness. You are using the sequencer as if it was a tape recorder. As I mentioned, I already got one, and hence, I don't need a sequencer to replace it."

if your playing "LIVE" why would you want repition? i thought playing live was just that.....strange indeed. btw when i mean "LIVE" i dont mean just standing in front of a crowd. i mean playing different riffs using reall instruments and chord progressions etc etc. like a live rock or funk band who i NEVER see sequencing with an mpc.

"See, I do."

is it really live? are you really PLAYING the stuff right then and there? in MY opinion if your playing a guitar and on stage its live. however if it is sampled and being triggered from an mpc it isnt live. just my opinion. i hope you understand what im saying.

"I am at a complete loss here. I'm shocked. What on earth made you ask such a question?"

you misunderstand what i am saying. if i go through and put everything where it is supposed to be than i dont need to mute or turn a knob. its ok to be a knob freak :P

"I'm a professional computer programmer, with 20 years of experience of computers. You don't know me, so I wouldn't expect you to know this, but this is how it is: It may be that the reason I disagree with you is because of lack of knowledge, but trust me on this: It's rarely from my part... :)"

lol good come back. lack of knowledge on your part? your the same person who said go reel to reel instead of 24 track tape. 24 track 1 inch tape IS reel to reel so i think you should rethink that statement. :P

"I have."

did it suck?

"Of course. My point was that it's HARD to figure out how to make it do what I want. And when I after a couple of hours of work with a program still hasn't even gotten then base of a song down, then that program is hindering me in making music, not helping."

20 years of computer experience? how long have you been playing? in my opinion your statement is a PARADOX.....but hey thats my opinion. i have only had my pc for 2 years and nobody showed me how to operate the programs. i have been playing for 3 years. maybe age has something to do with it. however if i can manipulate and use it. you with your "experience"( i cant vouch for that) should be able to also.

"Time to start learning, then..."

please name 5 acts in sweden or america who sequence live with an mpc?

i can name 5 acts in america who DONT use an mpc to sequence and if they change up they trigger from the keyboard. funkadelic, prince,michael jackson,anita baker,snoop dog.the only group i can think of that MIGHT use it live is outkast. never been to a live cocert where an mpc was uses. i never saw a tv concert where an mpc was used.

czar

Back