DJ techniques/posibillities in live band....

Hej, I have a gig with a DJ on 20/9. We're about to start writing our music, but we have just a mere idea of what the possibilities of an intermediate DJ are.

I know he can scratch, have a dry beat (no bass or other instruments) going, do some small samples in between, construct a beat out of a kick and snare sample (already harder to do).

What more can he do?

The gig is me on PC (soundscapes/programming), sax and keys, a killer saxplayer and the DJ... The DJ has never played with a band and is a little nervous, so I'll program quite some tracks myself to make sure he can take it pretty easy. We have another guy available to play human beatbox, and another guy that will help me programming some stuff, and is willing to help us out live too if we need it.

I would suggest that YOU and the DJ get together for a few practice sessions.

That will show you what his/her strengths, weaknesses, possibilities, and/or limitations are..... :cool:

spin

Well, the idea is that I do some basic programming beginning of this week, then I go to his place, we try some stuff. Then on thursday we meet up with our saxplayer, we jam around a bit, and after that the saxplayer and me (both kinda educated musicians) will start writing bigtime, we do 3 more rehearsels and we rock that gig.

The hype man will be our saxplayer. He can do John Zorn type stuff while scratching his butt. This dude is awesome. It's an honour having him on stage.

I think that the idea of having a dj with a live band is a GREAT idea.

I used to dj with a band twice a week when I lived in Paris.

We would perform on the Peniche Makara on the Siene River.

If I were you, I would definitely go through a couple of practice runs, before your performing night.

You will have a TON of options, once you start the live set (because you all will be able to improvise, as well as doing your own solo's).

Plus, you could also play off of any of the beats the dj starts to create/play.

I'm sure it will be AWESOME. ;)

Peace...

spin

Back