DJ Mixing Gear Recommendations

smpacheco

Hey. I hate asking a newbie question but, my wife is interested in doing turntable mixing.. Can any of you recommend a good beginner setup? Also, what is the difference between a belt-driven and a direct-drive turntable?

Thanks.

Depending on how "interested" she truly is, you might want to check into some used gear.

I don't know the difference between the drives but, most cats I know prefer the Direct-drive tables more... I know some cats will be like, "You need some 1200's and a whatnot..." but I recomend for a beginner, a set of STR80's with the straight arm which eliminates skipping... and a decent Numark fader. That way, your innitial investment is low... and if the desire to continue is there, you can sell them used for close to what you paid brand new...

Good luck.

if your wife wants to play in clubs later, then there is no other choice than buying a pair of 1210s.

Fuck 1210s... If you're gonna spend cheese like that, get yourself some Numark TTX1s. You can get 2 of them brand-spankin' new for $700.00. Add a bullshit mixer for 100 or less and she's seriously good to go, plus if she quits you'll get a far better resale price for your goods.

If your looking to spend under $800.00, tell me a price range, and I'll shoot you more info than you'll probably need re: "starter tables" that are worth the money they'll cost you.

I'm schooling a young 'un now, and he's got a starter package that seems to be surprisingly decent for the moula. Still, for a few hundred more, he'd be all-pro, ya know?

diendolo

oh yeah, "belt-driven" is just that, a belt (rubber band) attached to a gear/spindle/wheel that "pulls" the platter in motion - like front-wheel drive. ""Direct-drive" tables a put in motion via magnets & electrical current. Makes for a better torque-ing scenario when backcueing, scratching, spinning beer mugs on your tables, etc... Not technical enough, then say so & I'll be more, uh, academic...

I said nothing about one beeing better than the other!
I've tested the numark. They are nice, but have another feeling than the 1210.
And fact is, that almost all clubs i have played in (i'm spinning since 92') had 1200 or 1210.

The 1210 are nothing for just trying to dj a bit, but they are worth the money because they are standard. And you can't beatjuggle or stuff on another drive than the one you know.

Flo:

I was thinking no more than $500 for a starter setup with decent resale value when we are ready to upgrade later.

Also, I read that belt-driven decks are horrible for lining up the beats so I would definitely want to avoid them.

The Technics 1210s are definitely worth drooling over, but are an expensive starting point.

Also, what's a good brand of mixer? Better yet, what brands of mixers should I avoid? I don't want to end up with something with a noisy phono pre-amp.

Thanks all.

Flo' Dolo has offered you very good advice. :)

Here is an alternative solution.

If your wife is truly interested in becoming a dj (regardless if she wants to be a club dj or a turntablist) she could do this....

Purchase a set of used 1200's and a new mixer.

She can buy the set of used 12's for about $250 - $350 dollars. If they look weathered, she could purchase some covers in whatever color she wants for about $30 dollars.

There is no difference between old 1200's/1210's and new 1200's/1210's. You might need to change the RCA cables, the lights, and/or in extreme cases, one of the arms. But it will still be cheaper than buying them new. ;)

The reason I suggested Technic 1200's/1210's and not another type of turntable is.....

- they are industry standard

- they are industry standard worldwide

- so she won't have to re learn how to blend

- so she won't have to re learn how to manipulate the tables

- so she won't have to re learn how to apply different pressures and wrist techniques when scratching

You need to ask her what kind of dj'ing she wants to do.

OR

Does she want to try ALL aspects of dj'ing?

That will dictate which direction we will steer you in terms of purchasing a mixer. ;)

Peace...

spin

smpacheco...your reply is below what's below...

I said nothing about one beeing better than the other!
Neither did I, I just said "fuck them." They (technics) work quite nicely, but after 17 years of driving the same car, I figured I try something new, and fortunately the Numarks drive like a dream. Besides the additional blending and scratching capabilities the Numarks offer make them really useful for freaking new shit just how I want to. And, I don't care that every club I've played in except for one had Technics.

I've tested the numark. They are nice, but have another feeling than the 1210.
And fact is, that almost all clubs i have played in (i'm spinning since 92') had 1200 or 1210.

The 1210 are nothing for just trying to dj a bit, but they are worth the money because they are standard. And you can't beatjuggle or stuff on another drive than the one you know.

Each manufacturer's turntable should feel different, just as their dj mixers do from crossfader throw to knob resolution on EQs and pans, and so on. 1200/1210s are in clubs worldwide cuz they've been around forever Numarks & Vestax are farily new in the market. If you've been spinning since 92 you should have no trouble beatjuggling or whatever on Numark or Vestax's top line turntables as well as a 1200 or 1210. Well, at least I don't...

Anyway...

smpacheco - The above suggestion re: used gear is a good way to go. As far as resale on a "starter kit," think in these terms: if top-of-the-line tables resell for 1/2 their original price, lower end models MAY get you a quarter of what you spent. That being said, if you still wanna go the new route, DJ-In-A-Box systems run from about $125-$700. Many come with cheapie speakers and cartridges and headphones and slipmats and how-to-videos, but I generally RUN from things like that. Besides, the cheapies generally don't hold up worth shit give or take a few models. If you're feeling brave, check Ebay out, too. Last year's Christmas gift for little bobby may be just what the doctor ordered...

On your budget, I'd go for something NEW like this:

Numark TT200 Direct Drive Turntable (x2) - $200.00 ea.
(strongest motor aside from Technics1200/Numark TTX1s/Vestax PDX2000s)
Stanton SMX-201 2-Channel Mixer - $80.00 (battle-style mixer)
Numark DM1090X Studio Series DJ Mixer - $100.00 (19in. mixer)

Or any sub $100.00 DJ mixer from Stanton or Vestax. The cheaper Numark's faders seem to get burnt faster than the others, but if you need a 19 inch mixer, that's the way to go.

The guy at your local music store may beg to differ, so take my advice with a salt lick (fuck a grain)...

Going this route will put you a shade over $500.00 because you'll still need to buy cartridges (needles) for your wife's wheels. You can find a good pair for $60 or so. Of course, there are better stylii to be had, but they are more pricy. Oh yeah, add slipmats for about $20.00 for the pair.

Following Spinsterwun's "used" suggestions puts you in about the same price bracket.

As far as the "industry-wide" issue, I have to respectfully disagree with everyone. My take is this, if you are comfortable mixing with a Numark or Vestax table & you go somewhere where Technics are installed, it won't impair your performance using them. The adjustment phase for torque-ing & braking won't fuck things up for you (your wife). The tables will feel different, true indeed, but they'll all do the job waaaay nicely.

Also, take into consideration that all of us who've been spinning for a minute are fairly jaded when it comes to tables, needles, and mixers. I never thought I'd jump ship and buy something other than Technics. We ALL know exactly what a Technics can (and can't) do, but again, don't let that deter you from exploring other manufacturers top-flight turntables. You'd be doing your wife a disservice if you do.

diendolo

Re: smpacheco...your reply is below what's below...

Flo' Dolo said:
1. As far as the "industry-wide" issue, I have to respectfully disagree with everyone. My take is this, if you are comfortable mixing with a Numark or Vestax table & you go somewhere where Technics are installed, it won't impair your performance using them. The adjustment phase for torque-ing & braking won't fuck things up for you (your wife). The tables will feel different, true indeed, but they'll all do the job waaaay nicely.......

First of all, i would like to respectfully say that I am not trying to start an online arguement with you Flo'. ;) I am just trying to elaborate on my suggestions. :cool:

1. I agree with you partly. But..... you have to take into consideration that you and I have both been spinnin' on 12's since 1982. So, of course it would be simple for you to switch from Technics to Numarks or to Vestax, hell you could even spin on some Stantons. You also have to remember that you have been in a myriad of high pressure situations when spinnin', so at the level you're on, it would be easy for you to instantly adjust. In the same sense, it is easy for you to blend on 12's using only a +/-8%, where on your Numarks you have the option of going +/-50%. You know, like I know, that this will be very diffulcult for a novice dj.

That is why I suggested used 12's. At least they could learn on indusrtry standard equipment. Then once they each a certain stage, they could venture into the benefits of the Numarks (hell, I love the Numarks w/their pitch correction [you were the person that put me up on them :)]).

BTW, struberg.... you can trick on them (Numarks). ;)

Peace...

spin

It's all to the good Spin. I thought no such thing.

I see lots of newbies, overseas in particular, who are buying Numarks for their first "real" tables. I imagine they can get down on 12s, too. Besides, think of how all of our early joints could've sounded if we had TTX1s. But I digress...

Anyway, your reasoning for starting w/12s holds water, for sure...

diendolo

Flo' Dolo said:
........ Besides, think of how all of our early joints could've sounded if we had TTX1s......

WE would have been the shiznit!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I was having a similar conversation (in terms of this thread) tonight @ "Bada Bing" with my associate Strick Nick.

He was telling another dj how "tight" the TTX1's were. I agreed with him. I told him my friend Flo' Dolo has 3 of them. I also told him how great they were for "tricking". Then, I told him about the pitch detection (he didn't know about that feature). We were both saying that if we had that back in 82', we all would have been unstoppable :D. Plus, with the +/-50%, instead of +/-8%, well.......... enough said. :D

It's all good, peace, my brother......

spinster one

Back