Computer DJ?

barefoot

barefootsound.com
Is anyone out there doing serious computer based spinning?

I want to start using my computer to play parties. I know I'll be handicapped in a lot of ways, having much less 'hands on' feel. But then I have a bunch of ideas for looping, layering, processing, etc, which I think will give me a whole new degree of freedom and creativity.

Is "virtual DJ" software the way to go, or maybe there's a way to adapt a multi-track app? I'll need a cue channel and I'd also like to add in some cool analog synth fills (like those too-fuckin-smooth tweaks you can hear all through the Kruder & Dorfmeister - K&D Sessions disc)

So, can anyone give suggestions on software, hardware or even techniques?

barefoot

Ther is a program named Virtual 1200's.

You can use MP3's or WAV.'s.

I forgot where I downloaded the program(it's freeware or shareware ;)) from, so you might need to wait while I find the site. Or I can e-mail it to you.

Once you have some programs you can purchase a used laptop.

That will make you a true "mobile" DJ :) (I'm being semi-facetious :D ). All you will need to bring to the party is your laptop computer.

But, spinning a party with a laptop computer takes the fun out of mixing :( . IMHO

spin

SPINSTERWUN,

Yeah, I know that's the way it's been up to now. This why I'm looking for tools which will help me be more expressive than simply fading tracks in and out. I've played with another shareware similar to Virtual 1200's. It seems kind of limited. I think just trying to emulate a 2 turntable setup isn't the way to go on the computer. You don't have vinyl under your fingers, so it's never going to be as good in this vein. A new medium requires a new approach. I'm just not sure what that is yet.

barefoot

Back