Chop and Screw on the CPU...

Wouldnt it be easier just to use a gate,instead of manual choping?

I never did it personaly,since i'm not into main stream but wouldnt mind trying though.

I have listened to alot of screwed and chopped in my life. Now I will use some examples to achieve an affect.

Ok I have tried those screw programs you can download from the dj screw website and they give you a flange or some sort of chopping affect. however what i dont understand when flipping the crossfader is once you slap over the crossfader do you immediatly move the crossfader back.

some how or another you miss exactly one beat when you move the crossfader back.

now i have screwing and chopping songs in traktor. not by using the crossfader but by using the loop button. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. now a problem that I have found with this it loses alot of the groove. now if i record directly to a tape deck then it maintains. however when i use the record function in traktor and import it into ableton it doesn't sound good.

I was chopping a song tonight and tried to clean up the errors in ableton and even tried copy and pasteing and all kinds of stuff it just sounds out of time.

to be honest with you when i listen to it in ableton and traktor it sounds great however when i export to send to people it sounds like shit or butchered.

to be honest i think someone is fucking with it.

now forget programs and software and stuff like that... if you can help me achieve the sound that dj screw had. for example something like UGK - Short Texas. that is one of the badest chopped songs. i download a copy of short texas and tried to make one on my own and it sounded like shit.

me personally no offense because i see alot of you are from houston - same here. but i cant make screwed and chopped rap cds i start going bonkers. (aggresion) so i started makign spanish, 80s and some techno cds screwed and chopped. mostly because of the vocals. but hey i fulyl support the rap i just let it get to me.

i made a screwed and chopped don omar song called dale don dale.

i chopped it in traktor and tried revising it in ableton.

tell me what you think for real.

fuck it takes to long to upload.

now if you know much about swisha house or beltway 8 or dj breel with the beats.

the devin the dude screwed and chopped i think he really showed off his skills. however some of the songs he rides the hell out of the crossfader and then others he hardly ever chops at all. and then on some he chops it and maintains the beat. now the before da kappa 2000 is my favorite swisha house cd. beltway 8 - i had the chocolate tai cd and a friend stole it. but thats a badass cd. and then some dude named dj cold blooded he makes some good stuff. he uses alot of filters and stuff.

guerilla mob they do a good job too. but the odd thing is they all have there own style of chopping. and it baffles the mind.

<--------------help me make screwed and chopped cds.

If you wanna chop and screw, use acid pro. It is extremely easy that way. First you beatmap the song(which means you put the metronome on time with the song). When you beatmap, it puts the song on time with the grid system on acid pro. Then, just lower the tempo of the whole project to your desireable tone. When you chop, you take whatever is on the third quarter note in a measure and copy it to the second quarter note. It's usally done on the snare hits. Everything is mapped out in the grid system so it is extremely easy to find the places to chop. This is how i usually do it.

tone_aot said:
If you wanna chop and screw, use acid pro. It is extremely easy that way. First you beatmap the song(which means you put the metronome on time with the song). When you beatmap, it puts the song on time with the grid system on acid pro. Then, just lower the tempo of the whole project to your desireable tone. When you chop, you take whatever is on the third quarter note in a measure and copy it to the second quarter note. It's usally done on the snare hits. Everything is mapped out in the grid system so it is extremely easy to find the places to chop. This is how i usually do it.
i have tried using that program and it was difficult to feel the groove.

Atleast with traktor or some turntables you can get into the groove.

my problem is this, why is it when i record digitally then it alters the distance between the loops or it alters the speed of the actual recording. now i usually chop at about -35. however i kind of like -40 alot better. i mean alot better. it sounds more pimp.

anyway i lost track of what i was saying.

i wish michael watss would teach me what the hell he does.

heres the situation many people screw and chop.

the to styles I want to acheive is the DJ screw sound. tracks like short texas or tell me something good (the version that has the same beat as the player skillz song) i'm from houston and the old school lil keke and fat pat stuff is and always will be the best no matter what.

anyway. some swisha house cds such as the first devin the dude cd with "sittin in front of the ride drinking and smoking some weed" it almost sounds like there is some filter delay or something. or he is laying to recordings over one another.

what i enjoyed most about this is it maintains a dancy style of chopping.

My problem is this - i can sit here and chop about every genre of music (well almost) and if i record it to a tape and drive around it sounds pimp. however when i listen to it on the computer it sounds like total crap.

i want it to sound good in any atmosphere. I was chopping some techno and 80s songs and putting them on the internet using a keyword such as chopped and screwed so that someone would actually download them and give it a preview. in other words if you type chopped and screw in the search engine then it would come up with the other swisha house and dj screw stuff and whoever else. theres alot of good ones.

the other problem is and i guess he spends alot of time on this wich is were i get sick of it. is that... some of the songs you can maintain that constant flow for example every third beat or something and then others i dont see how this is possible.

i need to be educated because alot of these retro projects that I have been working on the vocals overlap the beats. thus preventing a smooth chop.

some other generalized observations. the track from chaka kahn - feel for you. i download an 80s mix and chopped it and recorded it to tape. however it sounded really badass in the car and even if i messed up the chop then it still had flow. however if i just download the chaka kahn track by itself. or the track from sheila e - glamoris life it doesn't sound nearly as cool.

I am trying to figure out how to maintain that groove and get the chopping down so it has flow.

overall most of the stuff i have recorded sounds like crap unless i do it in realtime.

i would have reallu never asked had someone already started the topic.

i may be missunderstanding you about the third beat stuff. if your using records are you saying that on the third beat you start playing the first beat from the other record? and then slapping the crossfader around?

just another comment in regard to the third beat tactic.

the song "Prince - Die for You" you can sit there and chop every beat. the snares and the bass and it goes off. then the program starts tripping.

I'm not sure what you mean by different records. On acid pro, i'll chop with the same track. I wish had a way of actually showing you what i mean because it is kinda hard to explain it. I guess i'll just have to upload something chopped and screwed so you could hear it.

screwing is easy, there's really not that much skill to doing it. It's just another thing for the shitty music of the south. Granted it did cause a good revolution down here, but maybe the next phase will be the north turning their music into chip munk sounding crap. I used sound forge & mp3 audio mixer to chop & screwed stuff, like michael jackson's billy jean. It sounded real good, but halarious... My bad for hating on it, I'm just into the older generation of hip hop, and I disklike most of the newest things they call music. The lyrics' are like shit, the beats are so simple, my son can create them on his toy. I admit, there are some chopped & screwed songs I like, but now-a-days after dj screw, it's just crap. 1

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
When you pass this on reffer to it as as the 'Hi-D-H-Man method'

Tha Set Up

1. Pick a song, load it into an automation enabled program like Cubase, Sonar whatever.

2. Pitch shift to knock out the screw part.

3. Load a tempo controlled delay program like the free Voxengo plug here >> http://www.voxengo.com/product/tempodelay/

4. If you know the tempo put it in, if not Adjust the tempo to feel which is actually a bit better IMO.

Tha Method

The delay plug in allows you to chop on the fly in realtime as you see fit. Do this by switch the mix parameter on the dely from back and forth from 0% to 100%. 100% being your actual 'psuedo chop'. you record and play back your chop performance by using your sequencers automation feature.

Tha Down Side

1.If you screw up you gotta start over (unless u know how to edit automation, I don't)
2. Chops have to be clean or the levels may need to be compessed at the master fader.

Extra tips
add an extra delay plug or 2 with different tempo feeds (maybe one at half tempo) and do a second layer of automation.

I posted these tips a long time ago but I couldn't find the thread but try it out and tell me what ya'll think

Here's an example using my method. No double tracks needed. Less than 10 minutes including 5+ mins. to run the song from front to back and export final resort. The only thing you CANT do with my method is when they stop on a line and repeat it several times back to back.

Did this @ 10:30 this evening when I saw this thread pop up again. Check it out

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=256274

Mindset said:
screwing is easy, there's really not that much skill to doing it. It's just another thing for the shitty music of the south. Granted it did cause a good revolution down here, but maybe the next phase will be the north turning their music into chip munk sounding crap. I used sound forge & mp3 audio mixer to chop & screwed stuff, like michael jackson's billy jean. It sounded real good, but halarious... My bad for hating on it, I'm just into the older generation of hip hop, and I disklike most of the newest things they call music. The lyrics' are like shit, the beats are so simple, my son can create them on his toy. I admit, there are some chopped & screwed songs I like, but now-a-days after dj screw, it's just crap. 1
have you ever heard the dj d version? it is really badass! i met the guy once at a dj scratch off.

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
Here's an example using my method. No double tracks needed. Less than 10 minutes including 5+ mins. to run the song from front to back and export final resort. The only thing you CANT do with my method is when they stop on a line and repeat it several times back to back.

Did this @ 10:30 this evening when I saw this thread pop up again. Check it out

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=256274
what is it?

hey i was gonna post some of my stuff. its not rap because i dont wanna step on toes.

but i gotta crap load of techno and some retro stuff screwed.

i made another 80s mix of some screwed and chopped 80s music but only two of the songs are chopped.

its basically white boy music with a touch of ghetto

j/k

:)

hey i just poped up with a registration page i would love to hear your music i just hate registerering stuff.

you can use megaupload if you want. its cooler and easier.

anyway check out my myspace page

www.myspace.com/35pimp35

and go to the blogs.

Pimp Juices for the Disco Faction - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1FXEG2UV

1 - Moskawa TV - Brave New World - Razormaid Mix
2 - Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence - Razormaid Mix
3 - Axodry - You - Razormaid Mix
4 - Dr. Mabuse - Propaganda - Razormaid Mix
5 - Propaganda - Frozen Faces - Razormaid Mix
6 - Howard Jones - What is Love - Razormaid Mix
7 - Tears for Fears - Mothers Talk - Razormaid Mix
8 - Erasure - Who Needs Love Like That - Razormaid Mix - Screwed and Chopped
9 - Camoflauge - The Great Commandment - Razormaid Mix - Screwed and Chopped

DaleDonDale said:
what is it?

Tha Set Up

1. Pick a song, load it into an automation enabled program like Cubase, Sonar whatever.

3. Load a tempo controlled delay program like the free Voxengo plug here >> http://www.voxengo.com/product/tempodelay/

4. If you know the tempo put it in, if not Adjust the tempo to feel which is actually a bit better IMO.

Tha Method

The delay plug in allows you to chop on the fly in realtime as you see fit. Do this by switch the mix parameter on the dely from back and forth from 0% to 100%. 100% being your actual 'psuedo chop'. you record and play back your chop performance by using your sequencers automation feature.

Tha Down Side

1.If you screw up you gotta start over (unless u know how to edit automation, I don't)
2. Chops have to be clean or the levels may need to be compessed at the master fader.

Extra tips
add an extra delay plug or 2 with different tempo feeds (maybe one at half tempo) and do a second layer of automation.

in traktor how do you keep the loop selection to stay the same.

in other words if you import prince - die for you and start looping segments then halfway into the song the amount of time that it loops changes increments. thus throwing off the loop.

how can you lock it so that it remains the same.

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
Tha Set Up

Tha Method

Tha Down Side

Extra tips

so what you are saying is add an delay effect and you can create a psuedo chop

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
^^yeah^^ tempo based delay like the one in the link are easiest for this.

so your chopping in florida?

much of a market??

it baffles the mind why it is not ppopular on the west coast.

why??????? explain plz[to me]

im just curious as to why some one would want to screw a song? Isin't that defeating the producers purpose?

Decipha said:
im just curious as to why some one would want to screw a song? Isin't that defeating the producers purpose?
I'm black nigga thats why...

i dont know I grew up in houston and was locked up with a bunch of black people who were always listening to fat pat and lil keke. this was around the time fat pat died.

so i have grown accustomed to listening to the old stuff.

me personally I play all my music very slow.

I think techno sounds better at 90BPM.

defeating the purpose of producing. maybe if they would produced songs already screwed then people would be alot cooler.

the funny thing is because i mix screwed techno no dance clubs will book me at all.

it sounds alot better than normal techno i think. i hate normal techno..

Back