BOSS SP-303 Dr. Sample

gkowal

hey guys anybody using this SAMPLER for their HIP HOP production?? I am considering on buying it since i got no money for MPC and using computer soft doesn`t have that "thing" if you know what I mean for HIP HOP ..tracks don`t have that feeling... I see it has SMARTMEMORY 64mb is a lot so you can have lots of stuff on it ..and it uses WAV files as well.. thing is that it is only 8 note-polyphony(what does that mean?) how will that affect my music? i know mpc has 32 i think.. Will i be able to make whole tracks with it like on MPC?? or only drums.. anybody knows?? thanks for help..

it can`t be that bad if MADLIB is using it ..could it??

can i connect it right away to the computer and use comp as a RECORDER and for mastering only? or do i need amps and stuff?

"hey guys anybody using this SAMPLER for their HIP HOP production??"

I'm not, but I certainly would have no problem using it. If the motherfucker samples, you can make it sing.

"I am considering on buying it since i got no money for MPC and using computer soft doesn`t have that "thing" if you know what I mean for HIP HOP ..tracks don`t have that feeling... I see it has SMARTMEMORY 64mb is a lot so you can have lots of stuff on it ..and it uses WAV files as well.. thing is that it is only 8 note-polyphony(what does that mean?) how will that affect my music?"

8 note polyphony means you can only have 8 voices playing at any given time, that is (for example):

1 - kik
2 - snare
3 - hats
4 - woodblock
5 - bells
6 - crash cymbals
7 - sample 1
8 - sample 2

If you got more than 8 things playing @ 1 time, something will cut off until another voice has done it's thing & freed up the space you need for it to play properly.

"i know mpc has 32 i think.. Will i be able to make whole tracks with it like on MPC?? or only drums.. anybody knows?? thanks for help.."

Depends again on what you got going on in your track.
What's your budget looking like? Maybe you should check out Korg's electribe series & peep their standalone sampler & drum machine.

"it can`t be that bad if MADLIB is using it ..could it??"

Just depends on what you're doing (and what other stuff you're using or not).

"can i connect it right away to the computer and use comp as a RECORDER and for mastering only?"

Yup.

"or do i need amps and stuff?"

If you already got speakers hooked up to your PC & you got a soundcard w/inputs, you can run the machine into it. If not & you wanna hear in speakers what you're doing, then you either need to connect the drum machine to your home stereo or whatever, or stick with headphones.

good luck.

Diendolo

Back