The best gear for hip-hop Producers

Yeah MPC got the drums locked down. I do most of my basslines and stabs on the asr-x. Anything that requires keys I usually do on the trinity. Using the triton rack for additional sounds.

Sorry man, Ray Charles ain't seein spotlight, and neither is the triton. hahaha

let me correct myself i can work good with out one but i never really have.If you want sounds the mpc sucks. its all about trition/trinity and jv/xp

equipment

Has everyone forgot the sp-1200? My set up in cludes a sp-1200 triton (61 key) turntables (I know technics are the best but gemini pt2000`s are just as good) a mic pre(presonis) tc electronics finalizer plus a mackie board lexicon effects processor(the cheap one mpx100) and a fostex fd-4.....I think I do aiiiight with what I got but it`s a neva ending thing next month there will be more.

equipment

Has everyone forgot the sp-1200? My set up in cludes a sp-1200 triton (61 key) turntables (I know technics are the best but gemini pt2000`s are just as good) a mic pre(presonis) tc electronics finalizer plus a mackie board lexicon effects processor(the cheap one mpx100) and a fostex fd-4...and a fostec cr300(cd burner)what I got but it`s a neva ending thing next month there will be more.

HipHopGear

After reading some of your post - it really shouldn't matter where your from. Hip hop and technology makes it where anyone can produce. As far as gear goes, I am using a Roland XP30, Yamaha PSR340, Roland MC-307, Mackie 1202 and using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and making some of the tightest sounds. The key to the "beats" is how fresh is the sound. Alot of producers in the hiphop/R&B field pretty much uses the same gear and thats cool. I really think it's how you use the gear and how innovative you can be Mannie Fresh, Swizz Beats, Timbaland etc uses some of the equipment that are mentioned in these post but there music sound fresh unlike hiphop in the mid to late 90's- we really don't want the same sounding songs - do we?

HipHopGear

After reading some of your post - it really shouldn't matter where your from. Hip hop and technology makes it where anyone can produce. As far as gear goes, I am using a Roland XP30, Yamaha PSR340, Roland MC-307, Mackie 1202 and using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and making some of the tightest sounds. The key to the "beats" is how fresh is the sound. Alot of producers in the hiphop/R&B field pretty much uses the same gear and thats cool. I really think it's how you use the gear and how innovative you can be Mannie Fresh, Swizz Beats, Timbaland etc uses some of the equipment that are mentioned in these post but there music sound fresh unlike hiphop in the mid to late 90's- we really don't want the same sounding songs - do we?

and I'm from downbottom
nuawlins - yadig??

Everyone still trying to get the latest......

Why? Why is it that we always gotta have the new Jordan's or the latest Benz.
Of course I'll take a Benz over a pinto, or Jordan's over Pro-wings, but will the pro-wings limit me to practicing and playing?
Will it limit my "natural ability" to play?
Not at all.
If someone gave Dre, or Jay-Z a bucket, and an analog 4-track, they would still make some phat beats.
Not down playing anyone or any type of equipment, but I use a groovebox, Alesis QS6.1, and Cubase.
Not very much, and not fancy by far, but if I need to (more often than none) build my sounds from scratch, and then sequence;and to get even deeper, there are tons of ways to record indivual tracks, etc. through an amp in the bathroom and use it as the sequence. But that's going off topic.
What I will say is use what you have to the fullest and learn what your needs are as a producer. More than likely you can do what you want to do with what you have, and in the process learn your equipment and your unique style and approach to Music.

I-AM

I-AM could have said no better - learn your equipment to the fullest and you'll be surprised what the out come would be.

Back