beat making help...

ethos

Swag Type Heavy
i use Reason 3.0, and i need a little advice.
my beats are hard to rhyme to. you either have to rhyme real fast or real slow. when i make a beat, i leave the tempo at 120, but the beat dosnt come out that fast, i space the drums further apart than usual i guess.
is that the problem? if so, what are normal tempos to work with?
maybe my drum patterns are just weird?
id be willing to post a few examples if neccesary.

thanks for any help in advance.

The answer is simple....

Make a beat around a slower tempo...

try between 85 & 100 :P

Either that or sell your beats to Twista...

You need to keep the tempo at somewhere around 70-100 (it all depends)

Start out with looping just one bar. (Press ALT-left mouse button on the 2.nd bar marker) Plant a snare at the 2 and 4 measurement inside that bar and off you go.
Sounds like you have a spacing problem...nothing more.

-Nito

92_ said:
You need to keep the tempo at somewhere around 70-100 (it all depends)

Start out with looping just one bar. (Press ALT-left mouse button on the 2.nd bar marker) Plant a snare at the 2 and 4 measurement inside that bar and off you go.
Sounds like you have a spacing problem...nothing more.

-Nito

I use Reason 3 and what everyone is saying is right on the money. Try starting off with your tempos from around 85 to 100....very rarely do I have a track that goes over 100 and usually it's around 120-130 and I have to lengthen it more than usual tracks so I'm not looking at a 2:30 length. That kind of tempo is good if you have a fast rapper with a fast hook or plan to make one line take up 2 bars of the track. If you want, I can upload a sample of a couple of beats that I'm working on....one with a slower tempo and one with a faster one so you can see what I mean.

It also doesn't hurt to think about how you would want the lyrics to be rapped while your creating the beat, that way you can shape the beat so it will move well with the vocals your envisioning to go with it.

RhythmRmixd said:
It also doesn't hurt to think about how you would want the lyrics to be rapped while your creating the beat, that way you can shape the beat so it will move well with the vocals your envisioning to go with it.

Good point Rhythm. When you make beats, are they for yourself or are you selling them. If you're making them for yourself then it's pretty easy to know if you can handle the beat or not. If you're selling, then you want to make sure that it's as versatile as possible (or comes with a warning lol) but you should know that homie.

?? i posted a few days ago, i guess it didnt register.
i figured it out. i keep the tempo at 120, but turn the resolution on the redrum down one. this might not be the proper way of doing things, but it works well for me.

i dont make beats for any certain song. i just start crafting it, and follow whever it starts to go. that way i can have a stockpile of beats, and pick one to write to according to my mood.
im not selling any as of now, (not that i wouldnt, just that im probably not good enough yet).

ill post a few beats soon to get some feedback and advice.
i appreciate everyones help.

.peace.

Hey if that works for you, then by all means....do that shit! I know if I can't fit all of my beat in, usually I have to speed up the tempo. Few and far between times I have to do that.

im not really familiar with reason sequencer, im a hardware guy, however i use to have the same issue, except most of my tracks were at 95 bpm. unless i was using a sample, then the track took the tempo of the loop, i have suggested this before to someone as a way to break beatmakers block, just load up an accapella, sample a 4 bar loop, build your drum track around that and then pull the sample out. as far as someone not being able to rhyme to the track, then they are wack!!!!!!! im picky about who i work with and i can be since i dont charge a dime, hold on let me get my soap box out, ok now, i have never understood, the whole "i cant rhyme to that" maybe if you actually had some skills i wouldnt need a thousand flims and flams to keep you on beat!! just make what you want and whatever tempo you want, its my experience that the tracks i work on the most, that people dont know the work it took to make, the magic of taking a howling wolf and making it sound like a guitar, the tracks i love the most, people dont appreciate, but i can throw together a cookie cutter special (arpeggiator and 808) and clowns are all over it. i will never understand it.

smashngrab said:
im not really familiar with reason sequencer, im a hardware guy, however i use to have the same issue, except most of my tracks were at 95 bpm. unless i was using a sample, then the track took the tempo of the loop, i have suggested this before to someone as a way to break beatmakers block, just load up an accapella, sample a 4 bar loop, build your drum track around that and then pull the sample out. as far as someone not being able to rhyme to the track, then they are wack!!!!!!! im picky about who i work with and i can be since i dont charge a dime, hold on let me get my soap box out, ok now, i have never understood, the whole "i cant rhyme to that" maybe if you actually had some skills i wouldnt need a thousand flims and flams to keep you on beat!! just make what you want and whatever tempo you want, its my experience that the tracks i work on the most, that people dont know the work it took to make, the magic of taking a howling wolf and making it sound like a guitar, the tracks i love the most, people dont appreciate, but i can throw together a cookie cutter special (arpeggiator and 808) and clowns are all over it. i will never understand it.

I think some rappers just know what kind of speed and flow suits them. True, if you're good you should be able to adapt, but how many "good" rappers are out these days. It's easy to get confused in the dumbed down mainstream these days. You brought up a good point about arranging the beat itself around the sample and then taking the sample out completely. I might have to try that. I just hate when people try to make the cookie cutter and can't do it right.

i did rhyme to the beats, but i had to either tongue twist or rhyme really slow,
it got too redundant. im not a fan of the cookie cutter beats either.

Soundclick is good because you can upload as many tracks as you want. If you have a webpage or a yahoo briefcase you can upload it that way too. There's many ways to get your song across homie.

It's not a bad site (when it's up and running, but that shouldn't happen too much now) and a lot of people use it so it's good marketing. I plan to keep mine even after my official website is set up because so many people use it.

Back