Which Beat Maker Software Rules the Waves?

MariusV

Hi,

This is my very first post (as far as I can remember) so please do not take it easy on me (I've been lurking like a fiend for a while!) Here are my questions for you...

What's the best rap beat maker software (where cash is no object)?
What's the best free rap beat maker software (if such a thing exists)? and...
What do you use?

Thanks for your help. Great Forums!

Marius

What's the best rap beat maker software (where cash is no object)?

Well this answer is subjective there are many of them out there and I haven't used them all.

What's the best free rap beat maker software (if such a thing exists)? and...

I don't know of any.

What do you use?
Reason rewired into Cubase SX but I mainly use hardware to compose beats.

Thanks for your help. Great Forums!

No problem welcome to the board.

Thanks for the responses! :cool:

For this thread I'll define a rap beat is an entire track except the vocals (not just the kick snare, hat and percussion). Rap Beat Maker Software is probably not technically the correct term which I think would be sequencer.

So I guess that will be software sequencers then...

bigwillz24...

I was thinking of getting Cubase and Reason together. What do you use these programs for if you use mostly hardware for beats? Or should I ask how do you use these programs together?

Thank you again for the responses.

Marius

Marius

MariusV said:
What do you use these programs for if you use mostly hardware for beats?

I use Cubase for tracking and mixing vocals and synths. Normally I make a 4 to 8 bar loop on my MPC, then add instruments with my triton and motif. Then record those into cubase. I use reason when i want to add another sound to the mix or when I feel like it sometimes I do the whole thing in reason. It's a flexibility thing for me I guess.

Or should I ask how do you use these programs together?

I use reason strictly as a sound module because I can't stand the sequencer part of the program. So I just use it with cubase through rewire which pretty much turns reason into an elaborate VSTi.

Thank you again for the responses.

Marius

Marius

No problem

I wish I had as many toys as you do bigwillz24! :cool: Nice site too.

I'm starting from scratch and I want to buy a computer to make beats first.

Do you think I'd be fine with
Reason,
Cubase on a
Zeon 2Gb RAM with a
1212m soundcard,
decent monitors,
a keyboard controller and... :confused:

Is the above enough to make some kind of beat with or is there
something else that's missing from the mix here? I'm asking about
creating just a hip hop instrumental with no vocals.

Thanks for all the help you've given me.

Marius

Your list should be more than enough to put out some decent stuff. Another software program you might want to take a look at is Fruity Loops. I've never used it but there are a few around here and elsewhere that swear by it.

the best thing i could say to you since you haven't seen any programs before is to go to download.com and download the demo versions of each program and mess around with them and buy the one that fits you the best

If money is no object, I'd recommend getting a shitload of vinyl (DON'T overlook that part) and a Mac Pro (with Logic Pro.) That is, if you want to go the software route, which seems to be the case. Logic will cover a lot of your bases, you can sample the vinyl from your turntable into Logic, use it as a powerful synth, vocal arrangement and mixing. I've heard that the Apogee Ensemble is a good interface (directly works with Logic)

There are many other great programs, like Ableton Live and Reason but the benefit you have with Logic is that it is everything (pretty much) in one. You can use them together if you want.

If hardware, your best bet would be getting a sampler/sequencer module (like the Roland MV-8000 or an Akai MPC) and a multitrack recorder (the Akai DPS apparently has a really good quality sound). A good keyboard (Motif, Fantom, Triton are all good choices) will also be good if you're not much of a sample user

Wow!

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like'll have to do some
serious homework before I buy.

I was trained in Cubase so I think I'll most likely end up
buying that.

How do Logic and Cubase compare. Are they similar?
(I've never used Logic, only cakewalk, cubase and pro-tools).

And yes, the vinyl/turntables/mics are also there in the back of
my mind. How I wish I was a millionaire right now (or at least had
a 30K + lump sum to play with) :rolleyes:

Oh well one toy at a time I guess.

Thank you once again for all your responses. It helps to learn what experienced beat producers know already.

Marius

Marius

Hate to admit this but the demo version of Reason is weak. I'd actually suggest :eek: (ooh I'm probably gonna get flamed for this) :eek: getting a cracked copy of Reason and then buying the full version after you've tried it out. The rest would work with a demo version. The demo of Reason restricts the refills that you can use. Me personally, I'd rather have full access to all of the refills and no save option.

Edit: because I felt like saying some more shit...

I swear by Reason for beats. I've tried Fruity Loops and it's ok, but I just prefer Reason. I usually don't use it rewired with Cubase but I know some do. I like the sequencer part because I can jack with notes easier that way (especially when one note isn't hitting the right spot at all).

Cubase for tracking and recording vocals on finished beats....yup that's a sure winning combo for me. I've been happy with Cubase especially since the first SX came out. Even with a larger cashflow, it's gonna take a helluva program to make me switch my setup.

Hmm... with that budget you could do quite a bit.

In the UK, I'd recommend checking the classified ads in Sound on Sound. They usually have MPCs and the like up for sale.

Sounds like I may be doing it a little too complicated...

I use Fruity loops to mess around with..It is the first program I learn and I actually think it is more intuitive than the other programs. Or mabye it's just a more simple program.

But for my actual productions I use reason rewired into Cubase for beats and then throw all that into Cakewalk Sonar for vocal recording/mxing/and even some mastering...

the end.

But for my actual productions I use reason rewired into Cubase for beats and then throw all that into Cakewalk Sonar for vocal recording/mxing/and even

What's the difference between Cakewalk Sonar and Cubase? Can you not mix in Cubase? :confused:

In the UK, I'd recommend checking the classified ads in Sound on Sound.

Thanks for the tip! :D Will check it out when I get to the MPC stage.

Marius

fl studio fl studio flstudiofl studio fl studfl studio fl studio flstudioio flstudiofl studio fl studio flstudiofl studio fl studio flstudioflfl studio fl studio flstudio studio fl studio flstudiofl studio fl studio flstudiofl stufl studio fl studio flstudiodio fl studio flstudiofl studio fl studio flstudiofl stfl studio fl studio flstudioudio fl studio flstudiofl studio fl studio flstfl studio fl studio flstudioudfl studio fl studio flstudioiofl studio fl studio flstudfl studio fl studio flstudioifl studio fl studio flstudio AND flstudio!!!

PERFECT FOR ANY KIND OF BEATMAKING!! NO NEED FOR HARDWARES JUST USE YOUR HEAD!! :cool:

Fieva said:
Hate to admit this but the demo version of Reason is weak. I'd actually suggest :eek: (ooh I'm probably gonna get flamed for this) :eek: getting a cracked copy of Reason and then buying the full version after you've tried it out. The rest would work with a demo version. The demo of Reason restricts the refills that you can use. Me personally, I'd rather have full access to all of the refills and no save option.

Edit: because I felt like saying some more shit...

I swear by Reason for beats. I've tried Fruity Loops and it's ok, but I just prefer Reason. I usually don't use it rewired with Cubase but I know some do. I like the sequencer part because I can jack with notes easier that way (especially when one note isn't hitting the right spot at all).

Cubase for tracking and recording vocals on finished beats....yup that's a sure winning combo for me. I've been happy with Cubase especially since the first SX came out. Even with a larger cashflow, it's gonna take a helluva program to make me switch my setup.

CRACKKKEEDDDDD??????????? Crack is illegal.... Then you'll be a crack head

Back