Your help needed...

WorldCup82

Hey All,

Recently found myself around $600 and would like buy some recording equipment. Its to record me and 2 friends but I would like room to expand too (maybe drum kit mics). I have been looking at the firepod for a long time and am almost sold on it. That has 8 ins which are all preamped for mics.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what else i should look into? or go with the firepod? I have a P4 2.88 1meg L2 cache system with a top of the line asus Mobo and 512 mb ram which i think i will upgrade to a gig if i get something to record with. HD space is not an issue, as i have a 80,160 and 250 gb hard drives....

any suggestions?

Thanks again

Dan

If $600 is your absolute budget, then go for the Firepod.
However, if you have the money to spend on some pres, go with something that doesn't have them built in (that way if you don't like the sound, you can just switch them and aren't stuck with internals).

I could go a little higher...maybe 750...but i cant go much higher than that...

Is this too low for a system with pre's out of the box instead of the firepod?

Thanks guys,

Dan

You'll be better off with getting the Firepod. And maybe get one out-of-box preamp for the extra 150 that you can use on vocals etc.

Its not that the firepod's preamps dont sound good, its just that they sound very safe and fairly accurate, but they dont color the sound at all (if thats what you want).
I agree with traidma... get the firepod and a good preamp for whatever. But if i were you i would save up more than 150 for the pre and get something like the GT brick for a different sound.

What I mean is that the preamps in the firepod are accurate and thats about it.
Other people looking to expand their sonic palette will use different preamps, compressors, ... rack units in general.... that give 'color' (alternate timbre/quality) to their sound.
Hope that helps

Back