XP Pro VS. XP Home

cawhite12

I was wondering if there was a huge difference concerning Audio between these two OS'es, and if getting Pro was worth the extra hundred bucks or so. Thanks

No.

You only need Pro if you have a multiprocessor system or require more advanced networking functionality (VPN support, file level security).

Otherwise, they are the same exact thing.

cawhite12 said:
I was wondering if there was a huge difference concerning Audio between these two OS'es, and if getting Pro was worth the extra hundred bucks or so. Thanks

pro has more networking capability thats it

so for audio I say no.

Actually, the difference is more than networking. XP Pro is the successor to Windows 2000 Professional, which was designed for business use; in addition to networking features, it supports NTFS permissions, dynamic disks/volumes, and much more. XP Home is for, well, the home. XP Pro has a lot of features which are really nice, but I agree with others that you really don't need them for working with digital audio.

Hmmm. I use mostly Sonic Foundry (now Sony) software, and when I was preparing to buy my new computer I asked them which would be better for runnning their software. They recommended XP Pro. (I had been using 98SE before.)

Well vegas has a lot of networking usage (net render..etc.). So XP Pro is more secure and probably faster/easier in terms of stuff like that...at the least.

However, I've used vegas last year with XP home, and now with XP pro - no difference really, I just needed Pro to set permissions, and networking, plus it was only 10 bucks from my school, ha!

If you don't flinch at dropping a $1,000 bucks...

... I understand that Win 2003 Server is excellent for audio processing.

wheelema said:
... I understand that Win 2003 Server is excellent for audio processing.

Nonsense.

There's way too much overhead there eating up CPU time that could be used for the audio apps.

Windows Server is a much more resource hungry OS.

brzilian said:
Nonsense.

There's way too much overhead there eating up CPU time that could be used for the audio apps.

Windows Server is a much more resource hungry OS.

Not sure if it's that much more resource hungry but yes, it is. It eats more RAM.
To be honest, I just logged on to my Windows 2003 server and it doesn't have that many more processes running than the average XP Pro computer, especially considering it's a domain controller running DNS, DHCP, RRAS and IIS services.

But nonetheless I don't consider 2003 Server a valid option. Way too expensive to run it as a desktop OS and less user-friendly too in some aspects, at least by default.

I know both XP and 2003 pretty much inside out (because that's my job) and I don't see what the advantage can be of using 2003 for a DAW.

There is one reason why I'd really recommend XP Pro over Home edition and that's Remote Desktop. But for a stand-alone DAW that won't be used in a network of any kind, I'd suggest XP Home.

brzilian said:
No.

You only need Pro if you have a multiprocessor system or require more advanced networking functionality (VPN support, file level security).

Otherwise, they are the same exact thing.

XP Home doesn't support SMP? That sucks.

franksquid said:
XP Home doesn't support SMP? That sucks.

How many people do you know that buy a dual processor system at stores like Circuit City?????? That is the XP Home market.

For the miniscule price difference, I always go Pro. With the new dualcore's coming out, it will require Pro anyway.

Plus, using wireless and a laptop, you can run an XLR cable into the next room, and use the laptop to remotely control your DAW without the fan hum, if that's an issue. Kinda cool.

I use remote desktop all day long at work, and at home. I'll be sitting downstairs sipping coffee doing Reason/Tracktion work on my laptop, and be encoding DVD's upstairs on my desktop.

OEM difference is usually like $40.

As for 2K3 Server for DAW......unless you have a bootleg copy (which is a super bad idea, since 2K3 "calls home" more than XP does) which is wrong, IMO, buying a $500 OS (SBS) for a DAW seems retarded.

Back