windows xp

dobro

Windows XP comes out October 25. I'm wondering what effect this will have on computer recording.

Will present audio editors and plugins run on the new OS?

Will software that comes out after that date possibly NOT run on Windows 9X?

XP

I think it's safe to say that early adopters of this OS will have a painful adjustment as they realize that they are the true beta testers. I just don't see Microsoft putting too much time into worrying about optimizing XP to work well with, oh, N-Tracks. I don't think they've ever heard of N-Tracks. I don't think they've ever even heard of music.

But your question is a good one, does anyone have the answer yet? Probably too soon to say.

Well, Slack knows, but he's too busy working on a CD these days... and sleeping less...

It's my understanding that Windows XP is going through significant Beat testing as we speak (though it'll still be shipped before it's ready).

I've also heard that it will run on the same NT backbone that W2K utilizes now, but retain significant backward compatibility with the legacy Win 95/98 drivers.

Wouldn't that be great if that turn out to be more than the usual Microsoft wind up my A@#!!

Marginally Hopeful,

Steve

The answer to your question, as it is with all Microsoft questions, is "Maybe" :D

I think Zoe has it right. I'm sure there are many people out there beta testing, but they are all beta testing Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft blah blah blah. I suspect that if Media Player 8 runs on it, Microsoft will declare it "Multi-Media ready"

Will it be any different than when 95, 98 and ME came out? Probably not. The world will adjust to Microsoft. Not the other way around.

I think it will be different than those other launches. This is the first time MS has officially given an OS the "final release code" stamp of approval so far in advance of its launch. From what I've seen of it so far (haven't tried the release candidates but I ran beta 2 for a while) it'll probably be their best product to date as far as having a solid product on the day of release. Of course, early adopters will certainly encounter issues as with any complicated piece of code.

From what I know of the application compatability issues, just about anything that worked well on Win2k should do fine on XP.

So how does everyone feel about the "registration" issue. I don't think I'll use it just on GP. I want to be able to do with my computer anything I want. I don't want to have ask Microsoft permission to do it.

I understand and am syphathtic to software piracy - but this ain't the solution.

I don't think it's as big a deal as everybody thinks it is. The activation (note that they don't require registration) in beta 2 was completely painless and took a couple of seconds over the internet. If you have to do it by phone I imagine it might be a bigger pain in the ass. You'd have to change most of the components in your system before it would refuse to activate, and even then you can call (I guess) and get it activated for a totally new system a few times, going by what I've read about the activation system.

Dammit, I wish Linux supported everything I need to do (especially multi-track recording) then I wouldn't have to worry about it at all. (There are a couple projects underway for recording in Linux but they're in very early stages and extremely limited.)

It will be based on the NT core, but it will have some backwards compatibility with 98 and stuff. This will make it a weightier OS than 2000 alone, I would imagine, and if you have a program like SOnar that runs like a champ on 2000, then leave 2000 unless you need all that backwards compatability.
One cool thing, though, MIGHT be that you can run SONAR on XP and get its stability bonus thanks to the NT core, and perhaps use plugins that were designed for 98 that weren't meant to run on NT. Maybe. Anyone?
Isnt XP supporting 64 bit also? If so, once the CPU's and motherboard catch up, you'll be able to get alot more processing done in the same time period that you do now.

One other thing, is that XP will also utilize the WDM driver model, meaning that a driver for 98 and ME will work on 2000 and XP. Supposedly. ;)

So as long a manufacturers write their drivers that way, XP won't be left in on the sidelines.

Re: tubedude's comments, Windows 2000 is also based on the NT kernel so that's not a benefit of Windows XP in and of itself. It's true that XP is more of a resource hog than Win2k but for other reasons. On that comment about using plugins designed for 98, the backwards-compatability support is never going to be 100%. You'll just have to try it case by case and see what works, I guess. I agree that if everything's running smoothly on Win2k it's not worth the risk of upgrading.

There is a 64-bit version of Windows XP. I don't know if it's publicly available but I know it's not part of the Windows XP you'll get in stores, it's a seperate product. Count on it being a loooong time before any of us are using it, too. There's a 733MHz 64-bit Itanium CPU showing up on Pricewatch at the bargain-basement price of $3300 (no typo: that's three thousand three hundred, just for the processor)

Back