windows set up on new computer help needed..

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
ok..heres the set up..

abit bp6 mobo with dual 533 celerons
128 megs ram
10 gig maxtor hard drive (not udma 66)
agp video
pci audio

primary ide port :
master cd-rw , slave cd rom

secondary ide port :
empty , unless you count the lil port that you use for the floppy drive..

primary udma/66 ide port:
maxtor 10 gig hard drive

problem is , with that set up , i get a "hard disk not found or properly powered up" message after it boots from the last install dick (4).. when i connect the hard drive to the primary ide port as master and the cd-rom as slave , it works fine...but i heard that you shouldnt have a hard drive and cd-rom on the same ide port.. i cant seem to get the udma/66 ide ports functioning properly.. anyone have any ideas ?

the ide cables the mobo came with are screwy.. three in total..one has 2 floppy sized connectors , and one has 2 hard drive/cd-rom type connects.. the last one is for the udma/66 .. shouldnt the idea connection be floppy and hard drive on the primary ide port , and the cd-r and cd-rom on the secondary ? i dunno..im new at this..

also , i couldnt get windows 98 to install from the bootdisk..weird..i just suck..

- eddie -

new problem.. after the computer copies all the windows files to the hard disk (in the hard drive/master cdrom/slave config on the primary ide port)the computer reboots , but when it does the bios does its thing and then i get a "cpu is unworkable or has been changed" error.. ah well , i sorta expected this sorta crap so im not too fumed..yet.. :)

- eddie -

I have the same mobo, and ran into some screwy things I had to do during installation to get everything working. I have a UDMA/66 Maxtor drive on the primary 66 channel as master, a CD-RW on the primary 33 channel as master, and the floppy by itself. Floppy drives have different cables and go on a specific channel by themselves.

I would hook all the CD and hard drives to the 33, since your drive isn't 66 anyway. Hard drive on primary as master,
two CD drives on secondary as master and slave would probably be the way I'd do it to make it straight forward. Then if you get another 33 drive in the future you just hook it to the primary 33 as slave. I don't remember what Slackmaster's results were in that post he made a while back about performance tests for this sort of thing, but I don't think you would get any better performance by having the 33 drive on the 66 channel. Please correct me if wrong about that.

When you mention the last install disk, what installation are you talking about? Since you mention it's the 4th disk, I'm guessing it's Win2000. If it's Win2000 or NT 4, and you have the hard drive hooked to the 66 channel you'll have to install the HighPoint UDMA/66 driver BEFORE either operating system installation gets going. Hit F6 I believe when you first see the blue install screen when booting up for NT or 2000 installation. You also have to go into the CMOS and change the boot order to be EXT and change the EXT MEANS line to UDMA66 (or something like that.) The detailed instructions are in the back of the manual that came with the motherboard, which is actually the first mobo manual I've ever had to be useful. Lots of good info about installation of operating systems. Took me about 2 hours working with the thing before I realized that. Solved most of my problems. What was the problem with the Win98 install? Only thing I ran into with it was having to load the proper UDMA66 driver after finishing the install.

For the CPU thing, that happened to me as well, whenever I reset the BIOS to defaults AND after I failed on a Win2000 installation as well. I had to go into the CPU soft menu to reset the MHz and bus speed of the Celerons.

I have built lots of machines from parts, and this mobo/cpu combo with the UDMA66 controller built in was by far the toughest in terms of getting all the drives recognized and everything running smoothly. Lots of tricky things that I had never seen before, so don't feel like you're having problems just because you're new at this.

Hope this helps some and you get it going, as I've loved mine ever since I got it up and running.

[This message has been edited by Jon X (edited 05-20-2000).]

You are trying to install Windows 98 on a dual processor machine. Windows 98 isn't designed for dual processors. Will it get confused? I don't know. Maybe that's a problem. Jon X mentioned Windows 2000 which IS designed for multiple processors.

Jim

[This message has been edited by JimH (edited 05-20-2000).]

jon..thanks for your help.. i reset the celeron speeds in the soft menu and that worked out.. then installed the highpoint drivers..i think im making progress.. :)

jim.. thanks for the input.. i dont think windows 98 would choke because it wasnt designed for dual processors though.. as sad as this is to say , the only reason i need to install 98 at all is so i can run aol :( ..

- eddie -

- eddie -

ughh... new issue..

instead of using the boot disks im installing off the cd-rom.. when the correct screen appears i hit f6 and install the udma/66 controller driver with no problems.. then it loads a few more files nd then proceeds to "windows 2000 set up" .. across the very bottom of the screen it says "set up is starting windows 2000" .. how long is this supposed to take? ive waitied at least 5-10 minutes a few times and nothing happens.. the little light comes on to show that its accessing the hard drive , but i dont hear much if any activity.. the boot sequence is set to cdrom,c,a so i can boot from the cdrom if that makes a difference..

thanks
- eddie -

ok..i managed to get windows 98 up and running after 4 installs and some patience...

ive concluded that my windows 2000 cd-rom is bad .. but i got passed that stage using the boot disks , but then got snagged somewhere else...

the new problem , and this is common between trying to install nt and windows 2000 ,is that after all 4 boot disks are done AND it prompts me to install my udma66 controller drivers (which install correctly and are revcognized)i get a "windows has detected no hard disks on your system. set up cannot continue" message..then im screwed.. this happens right after the successful "install udma66 driver" stage..im lost..any help out there? thanks..

- eddie -

i forgot to mention that i used partition magic to create a second primary partition at around the 4 gig mark making it a 6 gig partition.. i told partition magic that it was for the installation of windows 2000 and it was formatted using nfts..

- eddie -

The trouble you are having is freaking me out. I am about to dive in that arena. Remember the clusterphuck I was in??? learned something from it. Get yourself a speed bag... like boxers use to build up speed and strength in their arms.... Every time you hit a snag, go beat the shit out of your speed bag...
Mine is covered in blood from skinned knuckles.
By the time you get through this you will be qualified to be an MSNBC!!!

its no big deal man..just putting shit in the right slot the right way.. only reason im having difficulty is the damn udma66 controller..

so i went to radio shack and bought an ide cable to connect my hard drive to the regular udma33 controller since it wasnt udma66 anyway..

then , VOILA windows 2k installed with out a hitch.. only problem is that my video card doesnt yet have drivers for windows 2k.. windows detected and installed everything else itself which was VERY nice.. ill contact diamond multimedia and see when a driver will become availible..

it does piss me off that i cant get the udma66 working..i would be rather pissed if it was a udma66 drive..

thanks all.
- eddie -

Good to hear you got it working with the UDMA/33 IDE controller, but I know what you mean about the 66 controller not working. I banged my head into the wall for an extra hour to get that thing going, mainly because it was on the mobo, and it should work. I have a 66 drive in that machine, so that was another incentive.

When you do the floppy install for either NT4 or Win2000, make sure you let the install program look for and hopefully find the HighPoint UDMA/66 controller , THEN let it ask you for the driver disk. Otherwise, according to the manual if you do like with the CD-ROM install and immediately specify the controller and install the drivers without letting it search for mass storage devices first you will have to install all the device drivers manually. I don't know if that's entirely true, since I didn't do a floppy install, but worth a shot if you haven't tried it that way yet. You might also try removing that partition you created and just let the install program create and format the partition for you. Shouldn't make a difference, but I've seen some stranger stuff happen.

You're right, Win98 will run fine on a dual processor system, just that you'll only be using a single processor of course. I'm running Win98 on mine until Matrox gets a good video driver for Win2000. NT4 doesn't do everything I want (only DirectX 3), so Win98 is my option for now. I'll probably put some form of Linux and experiment with something from Be as well before it's over with. It's sad, but this is one of my hobbies.

well..i couldnt take it anymore..i went out and bought myself a 32 meg tnt2 agp video card that supports windows 2000.. i was going to suffer through nt until i realized that i had already spent 200 bucks on a printer that would run on windows 2000..so i figured whats another 100 bucks on a 32 meg video card to get this thing running..

needless to say i love windows 2000..it installed my printer , soundcard , and modem with out me even knowing about it.. nice.. it hasnt crashed on me yet and i noticed the dual processor support..i have yet to find any software that wont run on windows 2k except for partition magic which is the only reason i need windows 98 on this pc..

jon ,
i also overclocked the celerons a tad to run at 600 mhz.. just up the clock speed to 75 mhz , put the multiplier at 8 , agp 1/1 and up both cpu core voltages to 2.20 .. also turn the error correction thing to disabled.. its running a little hot ( hovering at 60 degrees celsius with the case on and generic fans and heatsinks) but hasnt crashed on me yet.. ill prolly buy better fans and another case fan to cool things off , but for now ill prolly reset everything back to normal since i dont YET need the extra processing power..

thanks again..
- eddie -

ok..i take back what i said about the overclocking.. the computer didnt crash but cpu temps hit 65 degrees celsius so i cut it off.. dont wanna push my luck.. funny thing though , as soon as i hit "submit" the alarm when off warning me i hit 65 degrees.. just my luck.. ah well ,look like its time to buy new fans and another case fan to try and over clock this bad boy..

- eddie -

Is there any particular reason why you upped the voltage? I would never recommend upping the voltage to overclock unless you've got some great cooling...even then...

You should be able to get those things to 600 without changing the core voltage. Did you use the heatsink compound I recommended? It'll drop the temperature 10 degrees if applied properly.

Slackmaster 2000

Back