windows is dead, long live windows

Meshuggah

I was in the middle of a recording session, and was starting to get drop-outs in Cool Edit.. I thought "wtf, I only have CEP, systray and explorer running, and besides, there were still only a few tracks in my session". So I close CEP and check up on what my RAM is doing.. OK.. get this. With only explorer and systray running, I have 174 KILOBYTES out of 512MB availible... Say hello to the bin, Windows ME...

So finally, after eons of WinME usage, I reach for the w2k-CD... and after some guerilla war with the drivers for the Highpoint UDMA IDE controller, w2k is up and running. This is the changes I notice immediately after installing the Delta drivers.

1. Volume can be adjusted from winamp.
2. Different applications can play sounds simultaneously, even if they have different formats (bitrate, samplefreq.)
3. A neat little volume-icon, and the delta control panel shows up in systray...

I haven't even tried to record anything yet... This will be today's project after work...

Never EVER I go with WinME / Win98 again...

// Happy Mesh

I still need 98 for some older games like NFS4, which I still play, and which does not run in 2000. My 98 install is tweaked to perfection, I run all my games but like a fast sportscar when it does crash, well, suffice to say I make bi-weekly images of my drive in case of catastrophe.

I use 2000 for everything else, nothing comes close to it. IMO not even XP.

WinME... well, the less said the better. It's the most buggy OS ever released by MS. I've not had any success with it. Ever.

Cheers.

I actually fought the good fight this weekend with Win98SE.

"Powersave mode unable to activate due to device driver or program preventing it from doing so".

But which one? Thanks for narrowing it down Windows.

Trial and error, trial and error, boom! It was the graphics card driver.

You see, it was a 3dfx Voodoo card, and since they're out of business, I had to find a 3rd party driver, which apparently didn't work so well.

Swapped card to an ATI Rage card. Boom. works great.

That is, until I start using the Internet. Then it freezes so bad so many times I nearly take a sledgehammer to it.

Then I go to ATI's site (from another computer, since mine won't stop freezing) and see that there's a potential conflict between Win98SE, their driver and my chipset.

So I reach for my Win2K CD that I got from school (Devry, included as part of our tuition) and do a clean install of Win2K Pro, with NTFS.

This is the 3rd day, I've installed all audio apps as well as web development software and Microsoft Office, and not only has my machine not crashed once, but it is actually faster. I can't figure out why, but I'm not complaining.

So I too say, Windows is dead, long live Windows.

Back