Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will mankind ever be able to record via laptop? (For ComPuteR GeEks only!)

VirtualSamana is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks

Will mankind ever be able to record via laptop? (For ComPuteR GeEks only!)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Wish I actually was a computer geek

Here's the dealio. I want to record atleast 4 channels of audio simultaneously.

I've got a Toshiba Satellite - Celeron running XP ( 1.1 Ghz, 256 Megs o' RAM )

My choicest options:

Firewire (via PCMCIA adapter) - MOTU 828
    USB - Quattro
    PCMCIA - Layla

I am willing to shell out the dough for any of these but I have a major problem.

I checked my device manager in XP and it looks like my video card is using IRQ 11.

Here are some other devices sharing IRQ 11:
    my modem
    ethernet
    internal soundcard
    USB
    PCMCIA

Since I won't be using my modem, ethernet adapter, or internal soundcard I am not worrying about these causing me a headache. What I am anticipating being a problem is my Fucking video card sharing an IRQ with both my USB ports and my PCMCIA
    slots. I think that recording 4 streams of audio simultaneously plus playing back 2 channels minimum is going to cause problems.

I don't have a version of XP I can load w/o ACPI and I don't think its possible to change anything from the bios of this laptop. Actually I am going into areas I don't have a clear knowledge of so I'll stop talking out of my ass before I embarass myself.

How is it possible for anyone to record on their laptop w/o similar problems? I don't understand. Someone please enlighten me.

Seanmorse79 is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    You can disable ACPI without using BIOS or re-formatting. I have a link (I don't trust my memory). I'll look it up in a sec... Ok, here it is.

http://www.staudio.de/kb/english/2000xp/

This is what I had to do to use my C-Port with their older drivers. Works like a champ.

Word of caution though... make sure your system is clean and working well (no driver problems, etc.) before you do this - the procedure re-installs (automatically) most of your system's drivers.

Barometer is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    I would stay away from the USB choice. Firewire is much more dependable for continuous data, of course I think the PCMCIA Layla would be the best choice. RME also has a laptop card. I don't see a problem with the IRQs either, if those devices will not be used they can be disabled if you're concerned with an IRQ conflict. Many of the devices on my machine are IRQ 11 and i have no problems. hope this helps
    Bitter Butter Monkey Batter, Didn't hear the first batch splatter.

bdemenil is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    On my desktop, my delta shares IRQ 17 with the motherboard's built in audio, USB, and firewire. I have no problems recording 8 simultaneous tracks of 24bit 96K audio with this setup.

RWhite is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    If I wanted a laptop solution today, it would be firewire. USB 2.0 would also be fine, but products for it are just hitting the market now. In another 4-12 months there should be a bunch of USB 2 audio hardware out there.

Chris Shaeffer is offline Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks
    I have a Sony Vaio 800mhz/ 512M ram, a Tascam US-428, and Cuabse SX. I did some basic optimizations of Win XP, but didn't shut down all the fancies- works fine. No problems with 4 tracks of 44.1/24bit at a time.

Granted, I'd PREFER a MOTU 828, but I bought the USB device when I had a laptop w/o firewire. Couldn't afford the MOTU, anyway.

It works.

Take care,
    Chris

c9-2001 is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    the motu is good, the rme multiface with the catdbus interface..thats the best i'd say.. my close friend just got rid of his Mbox for the Rme...

VirtualSamana is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the responses.

Seanmorse - Thanks for the info! Do you think this would be a wise idea to do on a laptop? I thought that xp laptops need ACPI.

Barometer/bdmenil- Good to hear others are working around this. I am only worried about my video card sharing the IRQ with my PCMCIA. Don't you think that this would cause a problem?

Chris Shaeffer- I have heard that Sony Vaio laptops are the way to go if you are using a USB interface. Funny I spoke with one of the M Audio tech support people and asked them about probs regarding the Quattro and laptops. The conversation basically came down to "Are their any PC laptops that haven't experienced problems of the bat when using the Quattro?" His answer was "Well the Sony Vaio has done well with the Quattro" They should put a warning sticker on that interface that says "NOT FOR USE WITH PC LAPTOPS" !!!!!How can they sell a product like that and advertise it for PC laptop recording when 90% of the people using it for this purpose won't be able to record with it?!!!!

Thanks
    Don't bother with maudio tech support - Their hardware is good, but their support sucks.

Thanks
    Try and see if it works with ACPI before disabling it. I'm not sure if IRQ sharing is as big an issue as it used to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information