Wifi-ing my DAW question

Armistice

Son of Yoda
So my new home internet connection is 4G mobile broadband (grrr... don't ask!) - via a Huawei 5776 hotspot thing provided by the ISP. So I have this computer and my Playstation connecting to it via WiFi... no biggie. I can plug the hotspot directly into this PC via USB but can't seem to actually get internet connectivity that way, although I'm sure the booklet says I should be able to. Still, no biggie.

My DAW PC is not connected to teh interwebz AND HAS NO WIFI card onboard. To update programs I previously (using my now superseded 3G moblie broadband dongle) set up a little portable router with said dongle and piped internet goodness into it via a network cable.

This option is now gone. No cable output on the new hotspot thingy.

So, how to WiFi the DAW PC occasionally for upgrade purposes?

It's my understanding that I can get a USB stick device, like the D-Link DWA140 which will provide that capability, once I install driver software I assume is one the stick. Except it's not clear from any of the brochurewear available on this and similar devices whether this is actually the case, because they're all trying to cross promote their wireless routers and say stuff like "when you connect to the D-Link Awesome Router AR345" etc. and talk about "WiFi N" and "boosting your connection" and all this shit I'm not actually interested in to the exclusion, I suspect, of its basic function.

I just want to connect to my hotspot... nothing more. Is this, or a similar cheap device, going to do it for me? Or do I actually need to have a WiFi card installed in the PC, in which case I no longer need this device. I'm after the cheapest, simplest solution here... I'll be connecting about once in a blue moon.

Cheers

You can use a wifi router and use it as a bridge. Make sure the router has connections for your PC. Goes something like this

Hotpot------->Wireless Router in bridge mode->PC This is the way you can extend your network. 99% of routers have bridge mode. You can actually connect your entire wired network this way. Do a look up on setting your router to bridge. There are plenty of how to's out there that would be step by step for you.

Hope this helps.

You can use a wifi router and use it as a bridge. Make sure the router has connections for your PC. Goes something like this

Hotpot------->Wireless Router in bridge mode->PC This is the way you can extend your network. 99% of routers have bridge mode. You can actually connect your entire wired network this way. Do a look up on setting your router to bridge. There are plenty of how to's out there that would be step by step for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks DM. I don't have any particular desire to network the two PCs any more than I currently do, so I'm fine with a simpler solution.

BTW if you want to keep your DAW pc from connecting to the internet all the time, just unclick the "connect automatically when this network is in range" box under the connection tab of your Wireless Network Connection. Then you can manually connect, do your upgrades, and then disconnect. Only internet when you want it...

BTW if you want to keep your DAW pc from connecting to the internet all the time, just unclick the "connect automatically when this network is in range" box under the connection tab of your Wireless Network Connection. Then you can manually connect, do your upgrades, and then disconnect. Only internet when you want it...

Or, I can just buy the little USB device, not worry about installing cards, and unplug it... :D

Thanks, but looking for the simplest, simplest solution - I have no need at all to connect this thing to the net, or other PCs, apart from program updates

And all done. Just got a little Belkin unit. The one I was talking about above was apparently just a booster. Reaper all up to date now.:thumbs up:

Back