Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 114

Thread: Why get Pro Tools when you can get use something like REAPER?

  1. #1
    antispatula's Avatar
    antispatula is offline Force of Nature
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    23580

    Why get Pro Tools when you can get use something like REAPER?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I honestly just don't understand. Protools's cheapest version, without an interface, is 250 bucks. There are free or very inexpensive programs out there that can produce marvelous results, such as REAPER. As far as I know, recording software doesn't in and of itself alter the sound of the recording, for example, if I recorded vox into protools, it wouldn't sound better than if I did the same thing into a much cheaper program.

    I used a free version of REAPER to make my whole album and thought it was honestly an amazing program.

    Anyone feel the same way about expensive recording software?

  2. #2
    zed32's Avatar
    zed32 is offline Re-Attached Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    one...big...dark...room...
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    2132277
    REAPER has certainly shaken things up a bit. it's an amazing program, and as long as it's still around, i'm never paying more for another audio program. it does it all.
    Maybe you can interface with my ass, by biting it.
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

  3. #3
    antispatula's Avatar
    antispatula is offline Force of Nature
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    23580
    has reaper finally come out with a full version that actually costs money?! I recorded my album with it before they had it out yet, I downloaded the version of their website for free! I am definitely supporting them and buying the new version!

  4. #4
    wreckd504 is offline Force of Nature
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    113476
    If you work for a studio or with people that all use pro tools it would benefit you to be able to burn your project files and be able to load them straight up. Otherwise you'd be exporting wavs and you also wouldn't get any plug in settings etc.

    Its funny actually, i've been using pro tools for about 5 years now, and am making the switch to cubase because everyone i work with is using cubase. Prior all the studios i was taking my mixes to were working on pro tools hd systems.

    Being able to transfer my project files to my colleages is a reason i would use a particular program for a project.
    www.myspace.com/heavyrainproductions

  5. #5
    zed32's Avatar
    zed32 is offline Re-Attached Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    one...big...dark...room...
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    2132277
    Quote Originally Posted by antispatula
    has reaper finally come out with a full version that actually costs money?! I recorded my album with it before they had it out yet, I downloaded the version of their website for free! I am definitely supporting them and buying the new version!

    i've had the real version for like 6 months now. plus the real version has been updated about a thousand times. no joke.
    Maybe you can interface with my ass, by biting it.
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

  6. #6
    Nightfire's Avatar
    Nightfire is offline Aspiring Idiot
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    674
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    450406
    Question remains unanswered, does the voice sound different in Reaper than it does in Pro-Tools? I would like to know so myself. Whats the advantage of getting pro-tools (there must be one cuase its so expensive)?


    Mike

    Do you see the flags of freedom, what color are they now? Do you think that you believe in yours more than they do in theirs somehow? - Neil Young

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4,582
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    319734
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfire
    Question remains unanswered, does the voice sound different in Reaper than it does in Pro-Tools? I would like to know so myself. Whats the advantage of getting pro-tools (there must be one cuase its so expensive)?


    Mike
    a lot of it is people new to recording don't really know about Reaper. Since it's not advertised in the magazines or sold in the stores...a lot of beginners don't know it exists. Where people know what Pro Tools is because of how long it's been around and how many artists use it. The mindset is "so-and-so uses Pro Tools and they have sold a million records....I have to use Pro Tools too."

    Then there's the other crowd who just likes it because it may have been the first program they ever learned on. So why switch? It's harder to get a veteran of one program to leave the software he's used for years and start from scratch on another one. Especially when clients are booking sessions left and right and they don't want to waste their time learning while working.

    IMO, you should choose a program because of personal preference. Yes, you could whine about the minute details of each program to death and argue which one "sounds" better...but there are many more important things to worry about. Pick the program you like and go with it. The end product is what matters. I hate when this stuff gets debated to death.
    Last edited by bennychico11; 05-23-2007 at 23:11.

  8. #8
    SouthSIDE Glen's Avatar
    SouthSIDE Glen is offline independentrecording.net
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL. USA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,529
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8088745

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by bennychico11
    a lot of it is people new to recording don't really know about Reaper. Since it's not advertised in the magazines or sold in the stores...a lot of beginners don't know it exists. Where people know what Pro Tools is because of how long it's been around and how many artists use it. The mindset is "so-and-so uses Pro Tools and they have sold a million records....I have to use Pro Tools too."

    Then there's the other crowd who just likes it because it may have been the first program they ever learned on. So why switch? It's harder to get a veteran of one program to leave the software he's used for years and start from scratch on another one. Especially when clients are booking sessions left and right and they don't want to waste their time learning while working.

    IMO, software you should choose a program because of personal preference. Yes, you could whine about the minute details of each program to death and argue which one "sounds" better...but there are many more important things to worry about. Pick the program you like and go with it. The end product is what matters. I hate when this stuff gets debated to death.
    Kudos, Benny, on a perfect, unbiased, truthful, accurate and helpful post.

    As the ProTools guru around these parts, you could have easily gone full-pitch defending PT, but you didn't, you gave an honest and objective answer. We could all learn from this example that respect for the game is sometimes more important than the support of the home team.

    Thanks, Benny!

    G.
    Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions

    RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:

  9. #9
    zed32's Avatar
    zed32 is offline Re-Attached Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    one...big...dark...room...
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    2132277

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen
    Kudos, Benny, on a perfect, unbiased, truthful, accurate and helpful post.

    As the ProTools guru around these parts, you could have easily gone full-pitch defending PT, but you didn't, you gave an honest and objective answer. We could all learn from this example that respect for the game is sometimes more important than the support of the home team.

    Thanks, Benny!

    G.

    Pro Tools sucks!
    Maybe you can interface with my ass, by biting it.
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

  10. #10
    jonnyc is offline 2.5K Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,666
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    67991
    Quote Originally Posted by antispatula
    As far as I know, recording software doesn't in and of itself alter the sound of the recording, for example, if I recorded vox into protools, it wouldn't sound better than if I did the same thing into a much cheaper program.

    I'm not entirely convinced this is true. If various eq, compression, and other plugins can sound vastly different from one another I'd think it'd be the same for software that simply captures audio data.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stability: Pro Tools vs Steinberg, etc
    By joswil44 in forum Steinberg / Cubase User Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 13:41
  2. Pro tools + Reason rewire problem....pro tools dropping notes.
    By quietb03 in forum Recording Techniques
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 12:48
  3. Just maybe some useful info
    By Mindset in forum DJ & Hip Hop Production
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 10:23
  4. Pro Tools 7 and Reason using Rewire
    By lucky13 in forum MIDI Mania
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 23:59
  5. Pro Tools Alternative?
    By ellrond in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-06-2006, 05:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!